• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Musical Pre-amp topology needed. Interstages please apply!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Rather than buying a pre-amplifier, I'm going to pay a local old timer Valve repair guy to teach me how to build a valve pre-amp.

Since I have an expert to teach me (and correct mistakes), I want to go straight for something beyond Level 1 type kits. Im expecting it to take a two month's or more to complete.

Two box
Phono in Phase 2 (in box or in seperate 3rd box? Ideally to accomdate 3 turntables with different arms/carts)
Line stage for 8 sources
Valve regulated
Choke filtered
I like Interstage transformers
High gain exciting sound
Pultec EQ type tone-controls (all valve)
Mono button type feature
Tamura/Tango iron
Remote control volume a possibility for Phase 3 if it won't compromise the design

1) Can anybody recommend a valve compliment and any designs?

2) Ive read that Pultec style EQ system is much better than that commonly found in amplifiers, and also came across this... http://www.rane.com/pdf/acceler.pdf Could this be accomplished with valves?

3) Does anyone know of a design to create a "mono" button effect. I like to use this on mono recordings which were later converted to stereo.

Partnerring System

Audio Innovations P2 phono stage, modified to passive outboard valve regulation
Audio Innovations S1000 monoblocks (EL34 x 4 per channel ultra-linear)
VPI w/Tri-Planar and Koetsu Rosewood Signaure
Koetsu SUT
Quad 2709 Electrostatic speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.