Music to soothe the savage tubes.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Music to soothe the savage tubes. What constitutes "savage tubes" ?.........Tubes are beasts. Large powerfull electron valves running at lethal voltages.

No, I didn't build a 1000 watt monster, but it is not out of the question....yet. A few years back, however I did breadboard a 200 watt SE amp. Savage? Yes. Totally lethal, and unsafe even? Yes. Did I feed it some mellow music to soothe it? Hell no! I plugged my guitar preamp into it and antagonized it! Note the 1/4 inch Lexan sheet between me and the amp.

Seriously I use the same musical selections to test any of my new creations whether they make 2 watts, or 200. Why? Because I have listened to these CD's on several systems from basic, to a $40,000 mega system, and I know what they should sound like, and where they fall apart.

Candy Dulfer - Lily Was Here, Saxuality. Good dynamics and of course the sax.

Richard Marx - Hazard, Rush Street. A well recorded male vocal.

Dave Brubeck - Take Five, Time Out. Listen to the upright bass and its string action.

Bozzio Levin Stevens - Duende, Gypsy Soul (compilation CD) . The bass will test a system. Put a scope across the speaker leads, look for OPT saturation.

Loreena McKennitt, Nights from the Alhambra. A live performance on DVD. Her voice can sound nasty on a bad system.

Metallica - Metallica (the black CD) Well Metallica should sound like Metallica when cranked to 11.

Dire Straits - The Love over Gold CD. Very well recorded and sounds very realistic.

Several female vocal CD's depending on mood. Norah Jones, Enya, Diana Krall.

Attachments

• 200Watts_A.jpg
    200Watts_A.jpg
    321.2 KB · Views: 110
  • DontTryThisAtHome_A.jpg
    DontTryThisAtHome_A.jpg
    265.2 KB · Views: 110
  • StratFeedback1b.jpg
    StratFeedback1b.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 111
Dixie Dregs - Free fall. Saw them live at Clemson in Tillman Hall.

Bonnie Raitt - Sweet Forgiveness. Saw her at a concert at Clemson in 78. Anything by her is good.

Yes - Fragile because I like it.

Billy Joel - Storm Front, Downeaster "Alexa".

Stevie Ray Vaughan - Double Trouble, Just because.

Bonnie Raitt - Hedley Lamarr: You said Bonnie Raitt twice.
Applicant: I like Bonnie Raitt.

Does anyone have a song that MUST play when test listening to their amplifiers? I'd like some suggestions of music to create a compilation CD for testing.

Bark at the Moon / Ozzy

That'll really bring out the sonic flaws.

I've been fiddling with a tube amp for a few days now and sometimes I feel I have a nice sound until I go through my CD collection and find some instrument in some song that jumps out at me in a bad way.

Some CDs just plain sound "off". Sometimes, it's the earlier CDs from the mid -- late 1980s, back when the tech was new, and sound engineers were still learning how to master for CDs. Sometimes, it's that the durn things were mastered to sound good on the SS equipment most folk'll be using. A good VT rig will reveal all that compensatory nastiness, and there's precious little you can do about it (other than get the same album on vinyl if you can).

Death of High Fidelity -- This is not good at all.

Classical music used to demonstrate audiophile equiptment is usually of the very colourful type often with a veritable battery of percussion instruments; Rimsky-Korsakov, Richard Strauss, Ravel etc. If you really want to challenge you amplifiers, see if it can separate the much more grey-coloured orchestration of a Brahms symphony. Also any multipart choral work.

I'm hesitant on this one.The problem with chorals one often picks up all those unwanted sounds, organ wind effects, keyboard noises, and on one Sibelius CD, one could make out the sub harmonics of a bus driving off. Most of the last 20 yrs stuff is so heavily compressed ruining the ambience.
Despite the Sony label, the worst offender for sub noises in my collection is Satie piano works and the worst, Osborne Bluegrass collections with hum all over it. A pity as the 5 string banjo is superb.

richy

Some CDs just plain sound "off".

Most definitely. The CD is flawed due to it's limited bitrate. I'm very surprised an "audio dvd" never took form. I don't mean digitally compressed mpg format. I mean 9gb worth of raw wav. That would be something like a 500khz sampling rate. I'm to tired to actually crunch that math but it's close. At 500khz a 10khz tone would have 50 bits per 360deg of a waveform instead of 4.4bits per 360deg. Or 11x more accuracy.

Either that or optically recorded analog. I don't see why that doesn't exist.

Am I babbling? Was I up all night again? :hypno1:

Thanks for all the ideas. I remembered a few good songs by some of the artists mentioned. I even stumbled across Herb Alpert - Rise. I have no idea why I like that song but I have to play it LOUD.

Source material varies hugely day to day, but some stayers are:

KT Tunstall
Sheryl Crow
Norah Jones
Katie Melua
Alisha's Attic
Led Zeppelin
Bowie
Rolling Stones
Beatles
Floyd
Genesis
Talking Heads
King Crimson
Grateful Dead
Status Quo
Shadows
Deep Purple
Fun Lovin' Criminals
Steve Miller Band

Some classical.
There will be some I have missed!

Currently listening to Genesis: 'Selling England by the Pound' on LP

What format? DVD or MPEG? I think analog is just gone and there's nothing we can do about it. Another choice lost.
Here is the broadcast world it began as linear analog audio tracks on the edge of the video tape. Then it was two AES streams, again in seperate tracks on the digital video tape. Now it is mostly embedded audio in the HD video data stream. It is 96k 24 bit multi-channel recorded in the metadata of the main video data stream. It is pulled out only when it has to be to be manipulated or monitored. It's sad....:(

Threads like this always make me laugh. Posters will 99% of the time list their "favorite" music/genre/tracks, and completely disregard the intent and question the OP asks and states. And always drift off subject.

OP- for YOUR tube amp, without question, warm it up and try any version of Eric Johnson's BLOOM. All tracks from beginning to end. Try to push your amp/speakers with as much wattage and DB's as you can. It will take you through all types of music styles and covers a huge range on the mhz scale. Ensure your speakers/enclosures are up-to-date and at least the same quality and sensitivity as your tube amp.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.