Music plays after amp is turned off.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
rabbitz said:
The P101 I've got is quiet on startup and shutdown. I did try a dual power supply once which made some disgusting noises on shutdown. I found using Rod's suggested power supply had no problems.

Another case for turning the volume down before switching off.

DOH :/ ,im using dual mono supply.

mm i wonder if one can link the 2 supplies somehow to fix the problem, (just a stab in the dark have thought how that would work exactly)

why not thrown in an LED?

You can use a dropper resistor and LED to discharge the caps and shorten the 'play-on' time. If you're going + to ground, a 15k 1/2 watt resistor and blue LED look and work great. If you go + to -, you'll need a 1 watt resistor. Mount the resistor in free air.

You'll still have a few seconds of distortion when the power supply voltage drops. As an alternative you could just turn the preamp off first, or do like i do and never turn the amps off :devilr:

Cheers,

M

Disconnect the speakers first;

In my amps I always run a seperate transformer winding (or transformer) and run a rectified partially smoothed supply to the a speaker relay (or DC detect cct).

This enures that when the mains is turned off (from anywhere) the first thing that gets disconnected are the speakers.

This is very simple, cheap and it means no thumps, no distortion, no cone movement at all.

Cheers

In my circuit Active bleeder,any common cheap opto isolator can be used eg:MCT2E.

Almost all high power audio amps employ switch on delay and fast switch off circuit to protect loud speakers from annoying clicks and other noises,this can be combined with DC protection so only a single relay with 2 c/o can be used for protecting both channels.

Re: Disconnect the speakers first;

quasi said:
In my amps I always run a seperate transformer winding (or transformer) and run a rectified partially smoothed supply to the a speaker relay (or DC detect cct).

This enures that when the mains is turned off (from anywhere) the first thing that gets disconnected are the speakers.

This is very simple, cheap and it means no thumps, no distortion, no cone movement at all.

Cheers

Hey quasi,

This sounds interesting. Could you explain that a little further.

Thanks, Terry

Re; disconnect the speakers first.

Hi Terry,

Sorry it's taken a while. All I do is run a seperate supply for a speaker relay.

This is a seperate secondary winding, fully rectified and partially smoothed by a small capacitor (say 10uf). This is connected to the relay coil. The smaller the capacitor the faster the relay will turn off, but too small and the relay may buzz.

When the power is turned off the relay turns off and disconnects the speakers before the amplifier power supply discharges. So any problems associated with this discharge will not include the speakers.

Cheers :drink:

I had this problem...decades ago...was one capacitor connected in parallell with the

In parallel with the main swich....and the capacitor started to conduct current, even when the switch was off, some good energy was passing inside the capacitor...

It was always half voltage...was good, because no "thump" when starting.

I did not read all posts....maybe i am out of your subject.

Just a comment, they use that capacitor to avoid to much noise in the moment you switch on and off...some arc of voltage will be diminished or removed...also, you can find some with a resistor in series.

Regards.

Carlos

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.