Mundorf supreme silver/oil

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

this is only your problem,sorry.

Well, I'm not so sure about that: in post #33 you describe your fav Solen craps as being sweet but with less detail.

YMMV but IMHO a good cap should pass all the information fed to it unaltered. Masking detail and "sweetening" sound is what I'd describe as a serious flaw.

Not only will all music sound sweet to you, it will quite likely sound sweet no matter what source material you're feeding it.
You may well like it that way but faithful to the source it is not.

Oh BTW, why does it take you two years to respond to a post? Maybe putting an H in front of your monniker might help speed up things..........:angel:

Ciao, ;)

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
t. said:
My IPL S3tlm Ribbons uses a 5uf pink marked as supersound polypropylene cap in the X-over for the Ribbon, I've some 4.7uf Siemans MKV B25834 caps, would these be suitable to use instead of the 5uf polypropylenes

Hi,

The MKV caps are probably not ideal for LS application being designed for motor starters (i.e. high voltage apps).
Other than that the Supersounds are fine sounding caps and, not unimportantly, the designer may have calculated the x-over to work best with 5 uF, not 4.7, a value that may cause damage to the ribbon units.
Another danger with experimenting with caps on one part of the speaker only is that you may upset its tonal balance and apparant speed. Mating ribbons to some other technology is no bed of roses as it is......

Cheers, ;)

fdegrove said:

Hi,

The MKV caps are probably not ideal for LS application being designed for motor starters (i.e. high voltage apps).
Other than that the Supersounds are fine sounding caps and, not unimportantly, the designer may have calculated the x-over to work best with 5 uF, not 4.7, a value that may cause damage to the ribbon units.
Another danger with experimenting with caps on one part of the speaker only is that you may upset its tonal balance and apparant speed. Mating ribbons to some other technology is no bed of roses as it is......

Cheers, ;)

Thanks Frank:) I remember the MKV's being raved about on here some time ago, there was some on e-bay selling dirt cheap so I brought them, I've not tried them in anything yet:D

I have tried Solens; even biased with nine volts via 2 meg wit two Solens in series like JBL do in their crossover.

Un biased they are dreadful, biased they are cold and clincal and lack true resolving power imho.

The IWC Clarity SA capacitors are excellent and quite reasonably priced, they are used in B & W Nautilus series.

I have ordered Mundorf silver & oil and will post my impressions when installed.

macka

macka said:
I have tried Solens; even biased with nine volts via 2 meg wit two Solens in series like JBL do in their crossover.

Un biased they are dreadful, biased they are cold and clincal and lack true resolving power imho.

The IWC Clarity SA capacitors are excellent and quite reasonably priced, they are used in B & W Nautilus series.

I have ordered Mundorf silver & oil and will post my impressions when installed.

macka

I was looking at those IWC Clarity SA caps too but they don't seem to do 5uf:bawling:

I recently purchased some 6.8 uF SA Clarity caps for my dynaudio crossover (D 260 esotec tweeter). They have constructed plastic sheathed solid core copper leads, and a robust construction.

I would describe the sound as smooth but detailed with a slight lift in the midrange, and a rolled off top end. I find them much easier to listen to than the equivalent Solen cap which to my ears sounded harsh and bright in the same application. It seems my findings are in line with Tony Gee's capacitor tests.

For the money, these caps are a bargain, and I would recommend David from lede audio in Australia. He was prompt in delivery and they were well boxed.

In Australia they retail for half the price of a Solen, 1/5 the price of an mundorf mcap supreme or audience cap (which is my overall favourite), and approximately 1/10 the price of a Mundorf silver in oil. These are local supplied prices not overseas sourced.

Another thing to try (which is giving me great listening pleasure at the minute) is the Clarity Cap bypassed with a 0.01uF audience cap. This brings back the high frequency rolloff that I mentioned before. Terrific 'air' and 'timbre' without any sibilance.

Enjoy your 'capacitor rolling' regards Ad

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.