Multiple Small Subs - Geddes Approach

Pan said:

And you're as charming as usual.

I don't have to show data as physics dictates these things.

I have shared lots of information and experience that has helped many people, wihtout showing data. I know you think everything I say and do is useless you don't have to say it. I'm not here for you but for people willing to learn and who appreciate when people take the time to explain things.

You know, an alternative to your rudeness would be something that a person with normal social skills might have said instead, like "oh interesting, did you save some graphs that you'd like to share?"

It's not like your pisspoor attitude inspires to go search for information and post it here for your benefit.

You are wrong and you make yourself look bad.

Know what, where's YOUR data?? Are you allowed to do things that other are not allowed to do?

Grow up will you!

If you do not realize that you can place several sources that avoids excitation of a standing wave you need to be a little more humble and go study basics.

/Peter

Your post is childish.

Of course you have to show data if you claim something. My data can be found in the linked page I posted 2 times in this thread. Joining a discussion without listening to what others have to say is what I would call rude.

You are arguing like all people that look at modes with the knowledge they have from textbooks. In a real room there will be no such thing as a not excited mode. Buy software and a mic and find out for yourself.

Want to see some more real world data? Here you go:
http://www.mehlau.net/audio/dba/

Let's assume a rectangular concrete room, 5 meters long and 2 meters wide and 2 meters high.

If we place one subwoofer at the end of the longest dimension of the room and play a sweep from 20Hz to 100Hz we will see a huge standing wave at 34.3Hz as dictated by the dimension 5 meter and the speed of sound 343m/s.

Now let's take another woofer and place it at the opposite wall and run a sweep in phase with both woofers.

What will happen?

There will be NO standing wave in that room at 34.3Hz.

We have totally eliminated the resonance from the playback chain.

We will still see the 2:nd resonance at 68.6Hz in the long dimension of the room though. Now drag both woofers one 1/4 into the room and the 2:nd standing wave (68.6Hz ) is gone as well.

The next resonances we will see is the first one dictated by the distance 2 meters between the long walls and between floor and ceiling at 85.7Hz or thereabouts. Use two more woofers for a total of four, and place these up against the ceiling and the first resonance in that dimension is gone as well.

By using four woofers we have avoided to excite all axial modes in this room up to 100Hz. By moving the woofers around we can optimize the layout for surpressing the oblique and tangential odes as well.

Now perform a impulse measurement of the room and see if the time behaviouir is as bad as it was with one woofer even though the frequency response is improved greatly, or if maybe, we have improved the decay time as well.

/Peter

markus76 said:
You are arguing like all people that look at modes with the knowledge they have from textbooks. In a real room there will be no such thing as a not excited mode. Buy software and a mic and find out for yourself.

I have mics and software since many years back and of course I have done measurements. How could I tell about measured performance without having performed measurements?

/Peter

markus76 said:
That's exactly what I'm talking about: this has no relevance if you want to smooth the frequency response from 20 to let's say 100 hz in a real room.

What!?

About your link, it would help if you gave a hint on that in the specific post that you claim something..

That said there are a lot of info missing to draw any conclusions at all from the graphs that I found.

Of course you have to show data if you claim something.

Maybe you remember the moderator that told that is NOT the case?

Maybe you remember what i told you about motivation when people are rude?

This is a discussion board!

If you want to be rude, step out on the street and be rude to someone.

/Peter

otto88 said:
Hi Earl

> I do favor "sealed", but sealed bandpass, not direct radiating.

Do sealed BP avoid the poorer transient decay of that vented BPs can have?

Cheers

otto88,

the transient/time behaviour of a singel speaker depends on the frequency response. A narrow bandpass filter/speaker has higher GD than one with wide bandwith low Q flanks.

A closed box woofer that reach down looow on its own or with EQ will have the best time bahaviour. In a system you also have to include the crossover.

/Peter

Markus, Toole in his book discusses mode cancellation (page 221). Essentially, the second subwoofer will actively cancel out the odd-order modes in the dimension whose axis in which the two subwoofers lie. Essentially, you have changed the modal field, and these particular resonances no longer happen. Obviously, you can avoid exciting a resonance or mode by positioning a subwoofer in one of its nodes. Toole also discusses how bass frequencies essentially act as a minimum-phase phenomena (section 13.1 and 13.4), so there can in fact be a relationship between the frequency and time domains. Toole provides real world data to back this up.

janneman said:

The transient is a high-freq component and will not go through the sub anyway. The transient will go to the high freq driver. The transient will not excite the room modes.

Jan Didden
That is the point. For the same instrument being played back, due to room modes, the focus shifts as the same instrument creates notes ad different frequencies.

markus76 said:

Now I know where your misunderstanding comes from. A loudspeaker is not an instrument! It can't recreate the original soundfield at your ears. If you want that, then look for dummy head recordings or wave field synthesis. A speaker for stereo or multichannel sound reproduction in a home listening room just needs to reproduce the original, which is NOT the original venue but what was heard in the control room where the recording was created.

Best, Markus
The purpose of high fidelity equipment is to reproduce the original recording to provide an illusion as real to the original equipment as possible. No matter how technically you describe it, if the goal is not to perform this function, then it is just another musical instrument playing in your room. There are actually many recordings that use to mics only. So when playing those recordings, one would expect the experience to be the same. When we want you evaluate high fidelity equipment, we should select recordings that had the intent to reproduce the live experience because this is what we can compare. We cannot go to a studio and ask them to play back thier original recording for us to listen to, but we can go to a music hall and select the right seat as close to where they normally place the mics as possible. This way, we have a better reference rather than guessing what the original recording should sound like.

I do accept that not all people are looking for this kind of fidelity and have different preferences. But for me, I do not like one instrument floating around when it should be stationary when I listen to music. This does not even have anything to do with sound field but the basic reproduction of one single musical instrument.

markus76 said:
youngho, that's all true but it has nearly no practical relevance in a real room. What we want is to smooth the frequency response in the widest band possible. Simple "cancellation" techniques are inferior to applying solutions like Welti or Earl propose.
What we want is something we like to listen to with the most enjoyment as possible. Some believe the flattest response regardless of the measurement method brings this result.

Pan said:
Markus76,

I think you are missing something essential..

/Peter
I agree.

Horizons said:
My question is which small commercial subs would be appropriate for this theory? There are hundreds of small 8, 10, and 12 inch subs that are sealed, ported, etc. Has anyone tried this approach and can anyone recommend a combination of subs? I would like to use the smallest possible subs given the need for 3 or 4 or them in my room.
It just came to my mind that isobaric designs are the smallest size due to reduced volume requirements. However, since the basic design requires two drivers...

Yes but likely you will be able to find a single driver with T/S parameters that do the same job as those two drivers used in isobarik.. but then again you could use two of those drivers and end up with an even smaller box. :)

Problem is the smaller the box, the higher the distortion and the more severe thermal compression.

/Peter

markus76 said:

<snip>

Want to see some more real world data? Here you go:
http://www.mehlau.net/audio/dba/

What is the significance of the top to bottom plots? How many things are you changing at each treatment/test/setup point? Are the top to bottom plots at different locations for each sub treatment/setup?

I can easily select 4 locations in my room with 3 subs that give pretty smooth plots; likewise I can find locations with huge modal resonance points as well... not sure of the real world significance of your data...

Hopefully the smoother respnse is where you want to listen...

Might wanna have a look at some multivariate experimental setups... could save yourself alot of trials and might pick up some confounded effects as well...

Looks like left to right you've traded a prominent resonance at ~35 hz for an equally prominent one at ~70 Hz or so. Does look a bit smoother from upper right to lower left, ignoring the 70 hz resonance...

That is the point. For the same instrument being played back, due to room modes, the focus shifts as the same instrument creates notes ad different frequencies.

Soongsc,

So you're switching to fullrange drivers? If not I don't understand the point you're trying to make. Yes the initial transient of the stick hitting the drum will come out of the mid and tweeter not the sub. When a cello plays sound will come out of every speaker in the system. That's the nature of the beast, unless you switch to fullrange drivers.

Not a very pleasing discussion.

I will say that I do not consider "mode cancellation" to be the goal, nor do I consider this approach to be effective. For every mode that is cancelled another is acentuated - i.e. doubled. This does not lead to a smooth overall response. Talking about cancelling "axial" modes in only one direction also seems like a dead end to me as there are lots of other types of modes and there are three directions. What about all those modes? Quite simply, the problem is too complex and multi-dimensional to treat in anything but a statistical manner.

Viewed statistically cancelling a mode is not going to yield the best statistics. You have to look at the total picture of all the modes and all the sources combined into a single system. The discussion gets lost when you try and narrow it down to the point of talking about a single mode in a single direction.

poptart said:

Soongsc,

So you're switching to fullrange drivers? If not I don't understand the point you're trying to make. Yes the initial transient of the stick hitting the drum will come out of the mid and tweeter not the sub. When a cello plays sound will come out of every speaker in the system. That's the nature of the beast, unless you switch to fullrange drivers.

I have switched to full range for small rooms and at lower listening levels, but we also must know that full range has other drawbacks. It's important what one places priority in when setting up a system. If more bass is desired and takes priority, the other areas may be compormised. It's best to know what you gain and what you lose by different design and setup methods.

Let's take the cello for example: Most of the time change in direction of the bow creates a small transient that allows you to pinpoint where the cello seems to be; however, if the note is low that excites room modes, then you will not get a feeling that the cello is at that original location. Whereas, if you listen to cello played in a hall, you will almost hear the note coming from the cello where it is located.