Multiple Inputs on CMoy Amp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've just built my first DIY project ever, a CMoy amp. I don't want to crosspost as the details of my build are available in the Introduction Forum (click here to view the post), but essentially I followed the Tangentsoft tutorial and have the following signal path:

3.5mm input --> Panasonic 10kOhm pot --> Amp --> 3.5mm output

I would like to add a set of RCA inputs as well. About the only thing that I'd be plugging into the 3.5mm jack is my iPod, which is used almost exclusively in noisy environments (public transport, the gym, etc.) so using a headphone amp in this case really amounts to little more than wasting a 9V battery. For in-home listening, however, I'd be connecting it to RCA line-outs.

My question is essentially how to go about this. Would just connecting the RCA jacks in parallel with the 3.5mm jack on the pot's input terminals work? Would it be better to install some kind of switching system between the two jacks?

I am quite a newbie at this stuff, so please forgive me if this is a bit of a stupid question. :eek:

TIA!

-A

Yeah, adapter.

Attachments

• adapter.jpg
    adapter.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 190
gongzero said:
Would just connecting the RCA jacks in parallel with the 3.5mm jack on the pot's input terminals work?

yes.

Would it be better to install some kind of switching system between the two jacks?

only if you want to switch between two sources that are both plugged in. doesn't sound like you do, so a switch is unnecessary.

tobias_svensk said:
Yeah, adapter.

yeah. just get an adapter. it's fine for this.

Aww, but adapters lack that je ne sais quoi... bling factor I suppose. :lol:

I've yet to fit the unit into an enclosure so I don't have a problem with doing a little more soldering. I may try the DPDT switch just for the fun of it, but in the meanwhile, I do have such an adapter lying around.

Thanks for the input!

-A

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.