Multichannel amp Schematic

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had access to a multichannel amp shematic/service manual that they wouldn't mind sharing. I'm trying to educate myself and found that looking over schematics etc of 2 channel amps and then looking up what I didn't understand really helped me wrap my head around some of this stuff. But I wouldn't mind at some point down the line designing a 5 channel amp of my own and would like to see what's involved and how a commercial amp is put together...Hope all that makes sense!:D Model or company is unimportant, as long as it's 3 or 5 channel.

Thanks in advance
Tristan:)

I could build that amp in my sleep !!

...but only during sleepy dreamy time. :angel:
-----------
If you are newish, build 3 or 5 mono amps.
I will be building it this way eventually, for my surround system.
Marantz had some this way, they all sat next to each other neatly.
Personally I think using commercial schemo's can be problematic, in that where do you turn for assistance ? Layout of the components is usually not specified, and leaves you to re-design the circuitboard and/or guess what are those sometimes unlabeled parts (and they are not always correct :bfold: ).
Find an amp that many people have built and tested...they will have worked through most problems you may encounter.

=RR=

Personally I think using commercial schemo's can be problematic, in that where do you turn for assistance ? Layout of the components is usually not specified, and leaves you to re-design the circuitboard and/or guess what are those sometimes unlabeled parts (and they are not always correct ).

Agreed, I'm mostly doing it for a learning excercise more than anything. If I do end up doing something it will either be completely of my own manufacture a few years down the road, or something that someone else has done on this forum or another. I'm especially interested in how they do the power supplies, as I think that's the biggest hurdle, or at least that's the way it seems to me:)

i do like the idea of building each as a monoblock though but all within the same chassis, that seems to be the current trend among many commercial designs these days, with self contained modules that you can slip in and out. Being interested in diy now has really got me kicking myself for not taking a closer look at some of the amps i've owned over the years, especially that Aragon 2005, not the best sounding amp i've owned, not by a long shot, but i'm pretty sure that it was a chipamp of sorts, I remember looking inside of it before I sold it, and thinking to myseld "damn there's not a whole lot in here?!" Just one massive transformer and then 5 real small amp modules . And then there was the EAD PM2000, I was almost in tears when I had to let that go.....Anyways...

Thanks for the replies so far:D
Tristan

Well, an 8 channel amp isn't more complicated than a copy-pasted monoblock schematic ! You could always stick 8 LM3886 and be done with it.

However, with more channels, layout and grounding become more critical, as the star ground becomes more and more difficult to respect due to the simple physical size of an amp with 8 channels.

My first multi-LM3886 amp had problems with this ; the fridge switching on and off made big pops in the speakers...

If I was to redo it, I think I'd go fully balanced, and maybe just put multiple mono amps (each with a PSU and smaller transformer) in a big case. This way you avoid stuff like the bass channels sucking out the power supply caps voltage from the shared supply and influencing the other amps...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.