Multi-way OB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Right - I've just spent a while making some cardboard reflex boxes for the 85's (based on the dims Fostex provide, plus some dodgy port conversions to get triangular ports).

Obviously I'm not going to judge the bass effects as the cabinets are far from ideal, but what I would say is the the top end sounds MUCH worse than when they were OB...they suddenly sound like little speakers somehow? The imaging is also much more 2D.

Before I got distracted with the box making, I was listening to them in the cardboard OB things with the sub off, and they do need to go deeper for evening listening. They're not far off where they need to be, but far enough that I'll need to find a solution.

A cardboard box will have a lot more resonance issues than a cardboard baffle. Those resonances draw your ear to the box.

Also, the fostex recommended BR is another example af a poor alignment for the driver. You want a max volume of 2.5 litre — about 1 litre less than the Fostex recommended box.

dave

That really is dinky...I'm wood workshop-less currently, but I may have to get a little sheet of ply and use the kitchen table as a workbench.

So my kitchen looks like it's been turned into a woodwork room, and I now have a pair of the uFonken's made from some birch ply I found in the garage :)

I've only had chance to hear a couple of things, and they do now go a lot deeper. I'll give them more time, but they aren't doing the airy 3d thing like they were in the OBs.

Super little box though, even in 'only had a circular saw and a straight edge' finish quality! :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.