• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

MU follower - distortion

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Was thinking along the same lines. Thanks mate.

Now I'm thinking of my next project.

Using a 6080 or 2.

6080 common cathode with CCS. Nice low impedance (280) for headphones.
Even 2 in parallel could be an option.

or a small triode, 5687 for example followed by a 6080 CF.

I might try the former first. Headphone amps don't need much gain, just low impedance output to match the headphones.

You seem very fond of headphones! I used them a lot when I was very young listening after my parents had gone to bed but now I don't even own a decent pair. Nevertheless,the 3 headphone circuits in the Morgan Jones books make a very interesting study and if you have not looked at these then I thoroughly recommend them as a learning vehicle.

Yep I consider the headphone amps a good learning point. I have an aikido but no valve power amp so not much use with my SS power amp. Even with a low gain tube.
Great as a headphone amp though, but now I'm wiring all point to point and tweaking all the time.

Been through M.Jones notes a little and tried many different circuits and tried current sinks and sources, bypass caps of various kinds etc.

On a long learning curve.

Now I'm trying to collect parts for a power amp. OPTs are the problem here. They don't exist.

Either try an OTL or travel across to Argentina to buy OPTs.

I like the challenge of an OTL. been reading up a lot about them.

Have a set of 6080's I might try 1 channel with.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.