MTX Thunder 1501D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
do the smaller mtx class D's from this series have the same problem?I've never noticed it on the 421D and the 801D.Its just seems like the noise is overly loud to me.Is there supposed to be one of those heat conductive pads on top of the transformer also?Maybe to help cut down on the noise.

spooney said:
do the smaller mtx class D's from this series have the same problem?I've never noticed it on the 421D and the 801D.Its just seems like the noise is overly loud to me.Is there supposed to be one of those heat conductive pads on top of the transformer also?Maybe to help cut down on the noise.

i have used silicone on and around the transformer to cut down noise and to stop it from vibrating too. it worked for me but i can't remember what model that was on.

Too much silicone will cause the transformer to run hotter than normal. Silicone or epoxy stop the noise when the noise is due to loose windings (noise stops when you lightly touch the windings) but that's not the case for that series of MTX amps.

I'd leave it as it is. It's likely to be in the trunk and the noise is only bad when you drive it hard (so you won't hear it anyway).

Perry Babin said:
Too much silicone will cause the transformer to run hotter than normal. Silicone or epoxy stop the noise when the noise is due to loose windings (noise stops when you lightly touch the windings) but that's not the case for that series of MTX amps.

I'd leave it as it is. It's likely to be in the trunk and the noise is only bad when you drive it hard (so you won't hear it anyway).

Thanks for the tip Perry. i tried to not use too much. just around the base and up top only where the leads come down into the board. no problems so far.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.