MTX 81000d

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well it sure has me stumped I need to dig my other 81000ds out and open one up hopefully the seal is broke on one of them so I can verify with one of those the temperature maybe the temp is right and the thermal is running incorrect due to a bad thermal sensor causing the amp to shut down also when testing last night I also noticed every once in awhile you can hear sounds like a spark like some feedback but I could be wrong seems like the noise is coming from the transformer coils but not able to get a exact pin point on location

I didn't power the amp to a sub because I figured no dramatic change in decrease of temperature when running for 10-15 minutes that the problem hasn't been resolved im going to try to find another one I have laying around to compare to first them put the amp back together and test it with a load on it and see how hot it gets thanks Perry

Most multimeters will only give value. There are many other parameters that can be important. Don't be surprised if you have a lot of new capacitors that are well below spec on value.

If you want a meter that will tell you more than the value, you need an LCR meter. Expect to spend ~$300. If you want a more advanced capacitor analyzer that can generate high voltage to thoroughly test or re-form caps, expect to spend more than $1000 (maybe $750 used).

Probably nothing. It's more useful for those working on vintage equipment. It was simply an example of what a more expensive capacitor analyzer can do.

Something like the BK Precision 879B is what I use most of the time.
Model 879B, 40,000 Count Dual Display Handheld LCR Meters - B&K Precision

Extech also makes one but it's a bit less capable (also less expensive).
380193 - Passive Component LCR Meter

You should know that having a really accurate LCR meter can be as much of a problem as a solution to a problem. Don't expect to get perfectly accurate readings as soon as you power it up. For the most accurate readings, you will have to zero-out the leads you're using, set the appropriate test frequency (wrong frequency may give misleading results) and make other tweaks. Even having the leads close or spread can greatly change the readings for small caps.

Unless you're willing to put in the time to learn to operate the meter and learn what the readings mean (no good/bad on the readout on cheaper meters like the ones above), you may be better off with a multimeter that reads value and an ESR meter
AnaTek Corporation - Blue ESR Assembled

Make/model of multimeter with ESR?

The LCR meter also allows you to test inductors. It doesn't do you much good if you don't know the specified value but it's good when comparing two identical inductors from one amp or are checking the value of a newly inductor on new cores (which may be different from the original cores).

Again... multimeter and ESR meters... dead simple but limited. More advanced meters will have a steeper learning curve.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.