MTM Drivers- Audax 8" vs 6.5"...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
HTRookie struggles on, cont'd..lol

Thanks leadbelly..

OK then..

After reading and learning from you wizards, I can state that I have a fair grasp on what appears to be very obvious to all of you-all designs apparently have their strengths and weaknesses..
To fill in the blanks so to speak.. here is my overall plan..

I enjoy movies and music-but neither at 100 dbA.. and I am NOT a super critical listener.-I do not sit and listen for hours on end-critically.

I am happy to stick with the 5.1 arrrangement, I am not seeking audiophile Nirvahna..- and will either purchase a high-end surround receiver (please don't write me off yet).. or a pre/power setup if it will NOT bankrupt me.. I have a good DVD/CD player now..

My wife (nor I) want 7 speakers (or more) in our new room... no WAF ..

Left, right and centre fronts, 2 surrounds (I have) and one subwoofer.. (1)..

So.. I know the MTM (D'Appolito) design is well researched, and works well with a wide range of drivers..

The fullrange approach seems to have merit from what I have read.. I can build the cabinets for the Fostex drivers using an established and successful design...But, would this work with a WMTW centre channel design?? I know the efficiency of the centre channel will not match the horns.. so is this approach flawed from the start??

I know squat about crossover designs/building, and as i mentioned earlier,, a local shop (Vancouver Audio Clinic) is very good, and know their stuff and can build the Xovers for me.. My forte is the woodwork.. wait until these are built.. The cabinetry will wow you...

So.. do you think this is a prudent approach? The cost of the drivers is quite reasonable, and I will use established and proven designs for all the boxes-with the recommended drivers..

I remain, as always... just another Home Theatre Rookie

Bruce :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.