MSB Platinum Link

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
There is a DF1704, it has max. sample rate at 156kHz, as Tam Lin pointed out.
Instead this old fashioned DF1704 you could use the SRC4192. The shortcomming is that it accepts only I2S, but you could also use the SRC4392 which has 4 S/PDIF inputs. The problem is that is software managed, you need a microcontroller to initialize/modify it through I2C bus. There is also the very good AD1896 which is hardware configurable but only with I2S input, no S/PDIF. In this case you could use a hardware configurable S/PDIF receiver like the PCM9211 with the AD1896. Good solution with up to 216KHz capability.

For some time I think about what I could do.
As I said, it would be the most comfortable, if I use something external USB to S/PDIF converter like WaveIO, on the DAC S/PDIF input. So I don't need to open this precious DAC at all. But it would be good, if it can handle 192 kHz signal.
Also it would better to feed it on balanced AES/EBU rather than S/PDIF.
Gustard has it.

I think the up to expectation of me, to make a digital filter card with DF1706.
Modeled by the existing one.
I have two of them, hope so these are genuines.
Hope dies last.
Both DF1704-1706 are OVERSAMPLING filters, not sampling rate converters. That is, if 44.1KHz input then 44.1KHz output and so on. The only way to change the sample rate is an UPSAMPLING converter like AD1896, SRC4392 and SRC4192.

Both DF1704-1706 are OVERSAMPLING filters, not sampling rate converters. That is, if 44.1KHz input then 44.1KHz output and so on. The only way to change the sample rate is an UPSAMPLING converter like AD1896, SRC4392 and SRC4192.
Yes, I know it.
If you could see that pic with digital input modul, you can see there is a Crystal CS8420-CS Digital Audio Sample Rate Converter. It feeds that DF1704 filter modul, which then feeds 2x2 DAC moduls.
So as I can understand, it is a bottleneck.
https://ywa9xw-bn1305.files.1drv.com/y3pAdbZkEtdDcwNI5PVD3xi1OrGV0CrlNb27v7s_UjssDUs51lpf-R1DFwFb4Jat-fbe1GZ7z5K5VzF6pZfmxPaywnQr6s3kqxFzfm0lLmh7srzSrHh6XV9XVnt9AImxZ2T5Oe3sFe2dcYIVs93gIgCZg/DSC_03650005.JPG?psid=1

Last edited:
I do believe that this kind of R-2R DACs haven't posibility over 96KHz sampling rates. Do you think maybe the MSB Network actually is a... downsampler for signals greater than 96KHz? :D To avoid the UNLOCK error? The native ability of the MSB R-2R DAC put me in thoughts! :D

But still your MSB DAC won't support over 96KHz sample rate. And if you try a high rate signal simply it couldn't locked on it, so UNLOCK error.
It isn't so exactly, because it can lock signal at 192kHz, but because limitations of chips, it is not so stable. As said earlier, DF1704 max OS frequency is 156kHz.
DAC in itself as is, can work very well on 176.4 kHz.

I do believe that this kind of R-2R DACs haven't posibility over 96KHz sampling rates. Do you think maybe the MSB Network actually is a... downsampler for signals greater than 96KHz? :D To avoid the UNLOCK error? The native ability of the MSB R-2R DAC put me in thoughts! :D

I do not know what's under the covers.
Maybe these must be upgarded as well.
But hey, if you have those MSB Network upsampler modul, it definitely must to can handle 192kHz input signal!
Many thanks to you to dealing with me, it was a delight to me.
Now, I will not bother neighbors with minimal music any more, so I'm going to sleep!
Sweet dreams, Fotis! :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.