• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Mr White's "Opus", designing a simple balanced DAC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Transformer help

I got how to wire the toroidal transformer for use in powering my cd-rom controller. I plan on using an R-core for the OPUS. Before I destroy the LCPS could someone tell me which wires I should connect to which LCPS inputs? Which wires I connect to which AC source? Neutral? Hot?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Thank you
Darren

Re: Transformer help

DarrenWadsworth said:
I got how to wire the toroidal transformer for use in powering my cd-rom controller. I plan on using an R-core for the OPUS. Before I destroy the LCPS could someone tell me which wires I should connect to which LCPS inputs? Which wires I connect to which AC source? Neutral? Hot?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Thank you
Darren

For 120V mains, you join the Red and Green leads together and to one mains connection, and the Yellow and Orange leads together and to the other mains connection.

For the LCPS, use the White and Black secondaries; White/White/Black/Black in that order.

If you are not using the Blue and Brown secondaries (18V), be sure to tie them off so they do not short.

Re: Transformer help

DarrenWadsworth said:

Thank you
Darren

That's an interesting looking transformer you've got there. Where did you get it? Another nice thing about your transformer is that you can use the 18 V secondaries to power the LCBPS for the Ballsie.

When I connected the Toroidal I bought from Twisted Pear, my DMM show the output voltage as 17.5vac.

Was supposed to be:

(115V+115V prim. / 15V+15V 25VA sec.)

Did I connect it wrong?

I'm using it for the cd-rom controller which the maker just told me that 17.5 could be too much for the voltage regulator.

He recc 12v but told me that 15 would be ok. I guess 17 is too much.

Any Ideas?

Thank you

Darren

BrianDonegan said:
Looks like an LM7812 and 7805. They can handle the voltage, but probably not without a heatsink. Maybe you shoudl try a different trafo.

I verified that the VREG next to the rectifier diodes is a 7805. You're good!

Would it fry it if I attach bend it up and attach a generic TO220 heat sink (which I can get locally) to that VREG? What about the other non-heatsinked part?

If you could reply today it would be great as I am going to try to get the whole thing running by tonight.

Thanks, very much.

Darren

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hi,

I've been using the opus dac through usb for a few days now. I was only using it on my main computer, which is running Vista, and it's been running fine. Today I tried plugging in the usb into 2 windows xp computers, but all i get is static and heavy interference with the music. Anyone have this problem?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.