• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Mr White's "Opus", designing a simple balanced DAC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Opus Met problem

BrianDonegan said:
If you have a common power ground, there is no need to use the I2S grounds. In fact, for my DAC, I added jumper wires between all of my PS ground outputs and eliminated all of the board to board ground wires.

Russ White said:
The boards were made so that you could use separate supplies for each board if desired. That is why there are GND terminals at inputs and outputs. But like Brian said, if they all share a common GND at the power supply, then you don't need to wire the other GNDs. What you do need to do is check that all of the boards share a common GND.

Thanks, I used common PS-grounds, so I'll remove the inter-board-grounds.

hbarki said:
Hi,

If I am using the input receiver module with ASRC, do I need to set the TXSRC to low or high? The manual recommends setting to low, but Brian's picture shows it is set at high.

What does "AIF" means?

Thanks!

I won't matter what the TXSRC is set to unless you are transmitting SPDIF (flip a coin) with the WM8804 board. When you transmit that flag tell the WM8804 where to get its data, either from the AIF (Audio Interface) input or from the SPDIF input.

Cheers!
Russ

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Opus Met problem

ichiban said:
:clown: Well, put the MET back in and no odd noise. :clown:
How it all worked for two weeks
and then went south? :xeye:
Thanks to all for your help.
=================================================
It's Baaack!
Turned on system this morning and 'EEEEEEEEE' from speakers.:headbash:
Then I tried turning power and pre amps off. Turned cd spinner on
first then turned pre and power amps back on. No 'EEEEEEE' ? Is some sort of reset signal sent from cd player to Opus RCVR when powered up? :scratch2:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Opus Met problem

ichiban said:

=================================================
It's Baaack!
Turned on system this morning and 'EEEEEEEEE' from speakers.:headbash:
Then I tried turning power and pre amps off. Turned cd spinner on
first then turned pre and power amps back on. No 'EEEEEEE' ? Is some sort of reset signal sent from cd player to Opus RCVR when powered up? :scratch2:

I have never seen this before... So I am not sure what is going on.

The WM8804 board should not need any external reset on loss of signal. It should simply send silence. :)

That makes me think the SPDIF input might be suspect, but I have no way to know.

The Metronome should not need to be reset since it always gets a signal from the WM8804.

Cheers!
Russ

Re: IEC 320 power inlet with filter

DarrenWadsworth said:
I am looking for a good source (not too pricey) for IEC power inlets with built in filter. I will need about 6 of them. I tried with Apexjr (2 bucks great price) but he has a min order of 20.00.

Does anyone have a good source for these? Links?

Thank you
Darren

I just ordered part number 1076985 from Farnell, INLET FILTER, 2 POLE/FUSED SNAP 1A; Vol 4301.6001 SCHURTER. €14.43

Re: IEC 320 power inlet with filter

DarrenWadsworth said:
I am looking for a good source (not too pricey) for IEC power inlets with built in filter. I will need about 6 of them. I tried with Apexjr (2 bucks great price) but he has a min order of 20.00.

Thank you
Darren

Altronics has them

http://www.altronics.com.au/index.asp?area=item&id=P8352

Re: Re: IEC 320 power inlet with filter

Thank you
Darren

Steve's got so much great stuff - why not stock up for your next project(s) to make the minimum order? That's how I ended up with such a backlog of projects ;)

Mounting a PCB, behind the front panel, that has micro switches (with a hole drilled in the panel to access the switch).

Such as this one. Which is the CD-ROM ctrlr (ff, rew...) for the player I am building using the Opus:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

What can I set up actuate the button?

I have looked everywhere for some sort of spring loaded shaft that extends slightly beyond the front panel. It's been driving me crazy. I can't find anything. Is this a DIY only thing? Or is there premade button extenders/actuators? If not, does anyone have any ideas how to do this?

Thank you
Darren

Is this anything like Grace Design's S-Lock as well??

Taken from their manual:

s-Locktm is our new PLL (Phase Lock Loop) circuitry that has been specifically developed for the m902
and its big brothers the m904 and multi-channel controller, the m906. The truly wonderful thing about
s-Lock is that regardless of the condition of the external clock used as a reference for the m902, s-Lock
will take this clock source and provide an extremely stable and ultra-low jitter clock to run the DACs. The
goal, of course, is pristine audio. We think you’re going to love s-Lock so here’s a bit more detail on how
this works:
s-Lock is a crystal-based PLL used for regenerating the incoming digital clock. The crystals used have
extremely low intrinsic jitter and are capable of locking to sample rates of up to 192kHz. When the digital
input selected for the DAC is active, the s-Lock circuitry automatically captures the incoming recovered
clock from AES3, S/PDIF, TOSLINK, or USB. Once phase-lock with the incoming signal has been achieved,
the DACs, which have been running off the original clock, are switched to run off the ultra-low jitter
s-Lock system clock. If at any time s-Lock is lost or not achieved, the DACs are run off the original clock.
The s-Lock system can effectively lock to input sample rates of 44.1kHz or 48kHz +/- 10Hz, 88.2kHz or
96kHz +/- 20Hz and 176.4kHz or 192kHz +/- 40Hz.
If the incoming digital audio signal clock frequency is outside of these tolerances the s-Lock circuit will
not lock and the s-Lock indicator on the m902 will extinguish. Even if the s-Lock does not achieve lock,
the digital audio receiver circuits in the m902 can achieve excellent recovered clock jitter performance.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
There is a write up on the USB Benchmark DAC in the new January 08 Stereophile that showed up today. It uses an AD1896 and I had confirmed that by opening my original Benchmark DAC a while back. I have not been able to directly compare with the Metronome as I only have the beta Opus and will have to wait for the new batch of Opus to put the setup together.

However, I have compared my beta Opus with my Benchmark and have had a hard time finding any difference from listening. The Benchmark may be a touch more analytic and detailed. I prefer listening to the Opus for longer listening sessions. I don't have the equipment to make comparative measurements, so have to stick with what sounds good.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.