• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Mr White's "Opus", designing a simple balanced DAC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hooked up my metronome, some impressions

Hi All,

I've been listening to my opus/balsie combo SE out for about a week and a half now. It sounded great right of the get go, and certainly seems to have improved after letting it play for a while. Very detailed and natural, deep and wide sound stage, very good imaging. Certainly kills my other CD players. Well tonite I hooked up a metronome to it, I followed the jumper setup that Russ had posted earlier and in the opus support section. I didn't really expect very much, maybe just a subtle improvement. It turned out to more than subtle, it was a clearly audible improvement in my system. Vocals are smoother and it improved everything else as well. Highly recommended.

The SPDIF signal is terminated to 75ohm at the PCB, so I am not sure (I am not an expert here) if terminating it to 75 ohms up stream by 5 or 10 inches (or whatever) makes any difference.

What I can tell you is the WM8804 is a very nice sounding part. They seem to have put together a good one over at Wolfson. And it has the very nice benefit of being a transceiver. :)

Cheers!
Russ

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.