• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Mr Evil's Capacitance Multiplier Power Supply PCB

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005

Attachments

• IMG_9882.JPG
    IMG_9882.JPG
    174.6 KB · Views: 401
Thanks for the compliments, and I am happy they have started to arrive, and not just one or two state borders away in the US!

In the meantime, please check the other thread for discussion, tips on parts, and occasional test results! Example:

Inrush current, fuse selection, and test results

Attachments

• PSU4B_Inrush13.jpg
    PSU4B_Inrush13.jpg
    371.7 KB · Views: 304
  • PSU4B_Inrush14.jpg
    PSU4B_Inrush14.jpg
    364.1 KB · Views: 270
  • PSU4B_Inrush15.jpg
    PSU4B_Inrush15.jpg
    283.6 KB · Views: 271
Heatsinks

PMI, do you have a part number for the diode heatsinks? The ones in your BOM are different to the ones in your photos.
The BOM was put together so essentially all components can be ordered at the same time from one distributor, for lower shipping cost.

The heatsinks in Post 119 came from ebay, from a seller called Goldpart. They are small extrusions, about same size as a small U-shaped channel-type heatsink. I believe they are under $0.50 each /4 pieces with free shipping, and according to my notes I paid $0.35 each, in quantity 20.

I have used three different types in testing, all about the same size and rating, with the rectifier diodes.

I have only used one type (one footprint) with the pass transistors, but there are options for those as well. I believe someone has used heatsinks salvaged from an old TV set.

In most cases, and when low cost Schottky diodes are used, the heatsinks do not have to dissipate much heat.

When using more expensive diodes with names like "Stealth", "Ultra-something", or more conventional soft turnoff diodes, the forward diode voltage drop doubles (or more) and they get hot. Couple this with a high idle current, and they could dissipate more heat than the pass transistors... It's a case where you mileage, or power, may, and definitely will, vary... :D )

Attachments

• TO220_Heatsink4.jpg
    TO220_Heatsink4.jpg
    308 KB · Views: 345
  • TO220_Heatsink3.jpg
    TO220_Heatsink3.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 344
  • TO220_Heatsink2.jpg
    TO220_Heatsink2.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 365
  • TO220_Heatsink1a.jpg
    TO220_Heatsink1a.jpg
    296 KB · Views: 381
  • TO220_Heatsink5.jpg
    TO220_Heatsink5.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 331
I´m interested in a GB as well, 4 boards at least, or even a single if anyone is willing to part with one...

Thank you for your efforts, very interesting project!
I guess we have a short waiting list, again... :D

I plan to order another lot, especially since there is some interest outside the group of people who are building VSSA-based amps. To be honest, I was both pleased and surprised there was so much interest.

At this point, one set seems to be lost in the mail, there is a small number unclaimed, and there is one Paypal payment from the US which does not seem to match a diyaudio name, or an unclaimed set, and will not return email... :rolleyes:

In any case, I plan to keep a few on hand, but I have not had a chance to do a final count.

Thanks for the interest, and please check the technical discussion thread now and then:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/powe...ed-capacitance-multiplier-49.html#post3649419