MPP

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
there is not much in the picture i can see and the MKPs seem rather small. They look more like resistors. Help ! i need a diagramm. On what bumpy journey you have invited me ? I expected a smooth ride in a Pullman. :)

Those two axial ones standing upright near the AC green inlet. You can see they reveal elcap positions at their base that they can be substituted. There you can use MKP1837s whenever you fancy. If you want to feel the road (vinyl groove) you need a stiff suspension. :D

I come from an old German Druid trible. My name Gerhard means in old laguage " The man with the spear that goes up front". "Ger" is old german for "spear" and "hard" means
"strong" so the direct translation whould be "Spearstrong". In Japanese my name sounds :
"Joakimogerarodo", whatever that means. I enyoy a bumpy ride but with giving me values that starve the CSS´s ( you knew that, don´t you ? ) you have shown me where democracy comes from.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Greek court of law system is a copy of the German one.;)

Those are typical misunderstandings when in a hurry. Set you back a bit but now you will know how it sounds with different currents, how to set better given the load, more ready to build V1.2s from scratch. No worries.

I made up the hurry, sorry. Yes, i understand better now and this is really good. I am bad at PSU and Power amps. Maybe i have read D.Self too much that is of the undisputable opinion that only PSU ripple counts but this is obviously not true, at least with discrete circuitry. I try to design for good PSU rejection but when i listen to your "humble" shunts, natur is taking to me.

The first real encounter i had with the importance of PSU was when i build the original german version of the "Le Monstre" in 1983. I liked it best with PSU PLUS batteries and we talk about several hundred thousend of uF and 2 automobile batteries from a Mercedes Benz Diesel Type 8. a battery can not supply low impedance at higher frequency and is noisy in the deeper regions. See Allen Wright´s violent posts elswhere on this forum. My Professor told me "1000uF per 1A" so that was totally over my head at that time. what the monstre could was sounding good on even mediocre spaekers like the 200 Deutsch Mark Acron Mini Monitor that was kind of the German version od a Pro AC Tablette. What was obvious right away that the SN of more then -130DB made the the Monstre a champ at resolving "room" and "air", very important for realism. It inspired me to make a pre-pre with a huge PSU and could pull the same hattrick. Well the pink rabbit was not "really real" too after more comparison to the sound of unamplified instruments in good souning concert halls. I then went the road o PSU rejection and one of the secrets of my "Hulk" phonostga is that the voltage amplification takes place in a common base stage clamped between two extremely high impedance current sources. Still the Salas efford brings benefit.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Still an OPA627 should be most impervious in the nether and mid regions and not care about PSU give it a battery or some reg of any type. Curiously that member spoke about dynamics. Go figure. Anyway lets stick to what we can measure because all else is a horn's nest and try use what makes us feel better without claims or theories. At least I choose to do that. Saves energy for allocating in doing projects.

I took a rest and now i wil try to modify my buffer ( takes only a few minuts ) and then rebuilt the Shunt. My family is on vacation so i can listen loud tonight. My house stands free, so i hope the neighbors do not object. Again, a little misunderstanding on the OPA627 but i will tyr your shunt in the Tranformer coupled Inductive too that has OPamps in it at the moment.

I did my homework. I cut the cables as short as i could and redressed inside. I could take away at least 2/3 of the length. I decided on 10 Ohm set resistors because there is absulutely no space for cooling finns on the output pair or else i could not even fit the RCA connectors. In a bold move i cut off the buffer section off. I installel 2 x 4700uF Nichicon Fine Gold and the 4 0.1uF Röderstein MKP instead of the 100uF Pannasonic FM.
i retrofitted the local 1nF NPO´s because i thought they could bypass the fast input section.
The shunts are still loaded with around 2mOhm of impedance from the cabling. Everything is cooking in my lab and i will soon listen. I slept some hours and the dressing of the extremely tight and strong Teflon cables took more time then i thought.
I send some pictures soon. i will open a bottle of wine. Buffer Problem got solved too.
I found an OPamp that works perfectly well in that application and my old buffer is still
very good for Audio.

i do not think so. My circuit goes to 25Mhz -3dB and has an extremely sensitive Offset management. Offset was now exactly the same in both channels around 5mV. When i crank the volume noise level is even less and more similar in both channels with less content in the treble. Before the left channel was louder and had a wider spectrum, astounding. Unfortunately i have not measured really well before the chage, only the quick check with the scope and the RMS meter but here lies a way to measure the improvement
What i can tell from 5 minuts of listening is that the bass got even more robust. I had to turn down my sub by 1 to 2dB.