MPP

Mostly i play prototypes without case. I connect the tonearm ground wire to a star earth usually and from there i do a wire to the turntable chassis so in my system everything is connected to main earth. I may have an unusual quiet earth though because my listening room is on the ground very near a long copper pole that is buried into the ground.
My main power for my system has a separate wire and silver fuses and special hall effect circuit breakers that are not in the signal chain.

toys....

Attachments

• Toys.jpg
    Toys.jpg
    448.3 KB · Views: 289
Today i got one channel of my transimpedance tube RIAA for ETF 2012 working.
This did not come easy. Design and build took me the better part of one year, on and off.
I have great help from a very experience friend but i ran into several problems that drove me crazy. First i had a problem with the current sources and then i got oscillation. That proved to be a grounding issue of the heater supply and chassis.
Anyway, it works. With near textbook values i get a response that is flat from 100Hz to 100kHz ( -3dB ), under 100Hz i have some loss in the bass. That can be tuned in, tomorrow. I use a self conducting cascode with cascoded depletion mosfets at the input and a mü follower at the output so i have tremendous gain, around x266 in the input and
33 in the output for a total of 8800. That amplifies 0,5mV P-P to 4,4V P-P. I use very high transconductance russian tubes at the input and an E188CC at the output. Output impedance is 140 Ohm and there is a volume control in the RIAA. Noise will be low enough for medium to high output MC. For low output MC i build a box with transformers. At the moment i have no desire to share the circuit diagram. I have simply too much to do plus the crazy Paradise project. I hope i can get it working before ETF on both channels.

Attachments

• ETF Tube RIAA1.jpg
    ETF Tube RIAA1.jpg
    631.9 KB · Views: 337
  • ETF Tube RIAA 2.jpg
    ETF Tube RIAA 2.jpg
    603.6 KB · Views: 325
  • ETF Tube RIAA 3.jpg
    ETF Tube RIAA 3.jpg
    594.8 KB · Views: 310
Last edited:
I got the tube RIAA tuned. It spans 4 octaves from 20Hz to 200kHz ( -3dB ). I kept a small rolloff in the bass. I do not think it is a good idea to extent the deep bass response too much in a tube RIAA. High frequency extension is somewhat dependent on the volume control in the RIAA. Under worse case conditions ( potmeter in the middle position ) i still get 70kHz ( -3dB ). I put the amplification down by 6dB so it has now a maximum gain of x 4400. 1mV input give 4,4V output. The 1kHz square looks good with anti RIAA.
Photo later.