MPP

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Some more numbered parts.....
Do no take me wrong... I also prefer the values in the board, but when it comes to stuff matched parts, numbers help a lot.

Attachments

• Paradise R2 numbered.jpg
    Paradise R2 numbered.jpg
    217.6 KB · Views: 655
Constant Current Source I think (Plese remember that spanners is more my field)
So supose one got a load of 3 W 100 Homs 15 PPM Holcos to replace the 120 Homs....

Any danger of fire?

Second small tweack
I have to turn down the CD player when jumping from Black to silver disk any quick Paradise value change? (Again Just litle bit and This may aply just to my set up so academic value only)

We would need beafier heatsinks to play with larger CCS in this case.

maybe a 10db prepre would be good for you bksabath... JG is cooking something new right now !

Do not try to feed the CVS of the CCS of the shunt :) with a regulated power supply, there is a good possibility that one of them (or even both) will oscillate.

Of course the team highly recommends a passive filter using a common mode choke as discussed before, and a board was designed by Bksabath see http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analogue-source/154210-mpp-438.html#post2861497 and later.

See also http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analogue-source/154210-mpp-445.html#post2864700
And http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analogue-source/154210-mpp-468.html#post2872390

Last edited:
Joined 2005
Paid Member
So (what am I going to start now?:D) how wuld one sligtley increse current on paradise? Just a litle bit mind you.

OR maybe what is a CCS is more apropiate question.

Tweak times already :eek:

CCS = constant current source
The CCS basically provides a constant current that flows into the load. The CVS (constant voltage sink) portion of the regulator makes sure the voltage at the load is constant, and it does so by absorbing more or less current. When there is no load, the CVS will absorb the entire CCS current. The higher the load current, the lower the power dissipation in the CVS.

So much for the basics, how to increase the CCS current: spot the resistor marked "X" next to the 10 Ohm resistors. If you put a resistor here (which really is in parallel to the 10 Ohm resistor that sets the current in the first place), the CCS current will increase. Frans has given the equations in a earlier post, but its quite simple, if you put another 10 Ohm resistor here the current will double (watch out for the power dissipation in that resistor though, there is a reason we used a big resistor there).

On the CCS current vs load current: If the CCS current is too low to keep the CVS "alive" all the time, you'll see some nasty stuff happening. Best to run the CVS in a sweet spot where the load variation it will see is small compared to the (DC) current it is running already - just like class A amplifiers..... So more is better. Most comments at least I have heard are that you should target roughly double the load current for the CCS, which I believe is the case here with the Paradise R3.

CVS power dissipation is 18V * CCS current * 2
(Thats what the heatsink can accomodate easily, a couple watts more should not be a problem. Remember to have ventilation in your case - if completely closed, it actually may overheat!!!)

Power resistor dissipation is (CCS current) ^2 * resistor value
(this will give you the dissipation in both resistors together, the current will split according to the resistor values)

Jacco point to right post SCH that I am using at present.
The common mode Coke is one I coked myself the proper one as used by Joachim is earlier on this tread.

I tried to supply Paradise with Zen Mod shunty and as FDW said no point doing so besides the on board supply WORKS

I am using a single pre rectifier board to supply the 2 Channels and this was causing same hiss to be audible after adding a further common mode coke on the output of the pre regulator hiss disappear and al is well.

So for V3 New box and I am going to use separate transformers and pre regulator boards, as those are home brewed I will make provision for the second common mode cokes.
I am not sure if those are needed with 2 separate supplies.
For now this is V2 Beta once V3 boards get here I will build those as specs and use the
V2 to play with the boards are really good and tolerate quite a lot of component swoops
If you are just starting to follow this tread this is virtually the first time that I play with BJT and apart from one capacitor placed the wrong way they worked straight away as I said before the hardest part was clamping the transistors to the sinks but with the clamp this became child play easy peasy.

On the pictures
This is Just beta (rush build as was eager to listen to new FiFi toy)

Pre-Regulator boards

Current enclosure shared with Pumpkin

Current supply (enclosure shared with supply for pumpkin) top has Joachim cokes, botom with home brewed.

If needed I am quite happy to either get pre-regulator desig finalised and provide full drawing for professionaly made boards (design is propiety of MPP Group), or make enquiries for price of small run of boards.

Magic clamp

Attachments

• Preregulator 004.jpg
    Preregulator 004.jpg
    772.2 KB · Views: 381
  • Today I have made this 002.jpg
    Today I have made this 002.jpg
    1,015.3 KB · Views: 367
  • Beta PSU 001.jpg
    Beta PSU 001.jpg
    984.1 KB · Views: 351
  • Let there be light 005.jpg
    Let there be light 005.jpg
    597.3 KB · Views: 337
Last edited:

and when I try to place the order I can't complete the registration as Great Britain is not listed HELP Please?
See Pais listing... Country
Ruawnda is still in the list but it has not been on this planet for quite same time as far as I know

I have just registered there; I think "Royaume-Uni" which is in the "pays" list the should be appropriate.

Royaume-Uni - Wikipédia

Do you speak French? If not, I could help you by PM.