MPP

I had some spare time on holidays so I build quick and dirty version of that improved AD829 clone that we discussed in post #3248. I know it's ain't pretty, but then again, I had worse looking protos, that made 433Mhz with 140dB noise floors. I didn't saved any thd measurements, as there was nothing to measure, so harmonics are masked with noise floor which is similar to starless. Also I thrown in some shunt supply's, they are a variation of salas V1, just optimized for higher olg, BF862 for Vref, also tight smd layout made possible usage of meaner mosfet's with higher gfs. I attached measured 50mA step response (shunt current set to 100ma, rise time limited to 200ns, upper trace output 2mv/div, lower trace load switching). That's with just 1uf poli smd for output capacitance, but I could throw anything I like at output (even low esr FM's) and it would stay stable. Noise was about 10uV, as I was hitting 5uV noise floor of my LNMP. I have to do more listening, but first impression is good. Sound is maybe a little bit too analytical for my taste, but details are well preserved. After all, it's opamp topology, just heavily biased for class A, so it has some sonic resemblance, but no opamp input stage that I heard would come close to this discrete thingy. I also liked balanced input, no signs of hum anywhere ! I don't think I take it any further than this, as I really need to make my self something usable to be able to enjoy my records again without soldering batteries for switching phono pre on :) So next week naked truth will have new aluminum box, new psu and ON switch.

Attachments

• diff_in.jpg
    diff_in.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 380
  • step_resp.JPG
    step_resp.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 370
That proto looks really cool !
Yes, with balanced the hum is gone. That is the major advantage.
When it sounds a bit analytic it can be that you have to readjust your cartridge.
I also found out that it is an advantage to have an adjustable subwoofer. A dB or two more can make a big difference. When i change the phono stage i usually have to readjust the woofer. I also use CD as reality check. For tonal balance comparison it can be very convenient. When you have the Naked Truth ready i would very much like to see the final circuit diagram.

Common guys, that proto is simply mad :D Joachim, of course I will post everything when done. Just couple more sanity checks with psu options, and maybe I should try cascoding j74/k170 with some bjt's (like in original schematics), but I'm not quite sure about possible benefits when running single lowish current pair. Well it's the way you did it, so there must be something behind this. I will try.

I have now measured 70 pairs of the BC327/337 that Frans has send me. Here the NPN go more astray in the higher regions. 50% though fall in the 410 to 450 range where they have matches in PNP. PNP culminates at 430 and NPN at 450-460.
6 trannis had really low Hfe so they fall on the way side. That is 4.29% of the population.
Conclusion is that it is no problem to find matches but the relatively high amount of under performers require selection. Can be fun though. It´s quite meditative.

Attachments

• BC327-337 selection.jpg
    BC327-337 selection.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 325
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Back to meditation then :)

Just for fun, look at the weirdest of the adds.

I can not imagine why money is being spent this way.... Nobody remenbers Genesis.

In 1975, (after 1974 coup d´etat), big groups started appearing in Cascais. Why the add ?

Attachments

• 75.jpg
    75.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 312
Last edited:
Joined 2006
Paid Member
A very good year is what I can see for all of us :)

Hi Frans

I see a bzx84c6v2l zener from Vout to the base of the lower transistor in the constant voltage source that supplies the current source on the shunt.

What is it´s purpose ?

Hi Joachim.... I am reading and learning all the time nowadays :)

Hi Holger... long live and prosper :drink: :cheers: :grouphug: :sing:

Last edited: