MPP

The next best thing i could think of is the Well Tempered Simplex :
Well Tempered Lab Simplex Turntable Review
I heard the bigger model, the Amadeus, many times and it sounds marvelous. Even compared to much more expensive gear. It has a very special way to reproduce male voice and it does not loose oversight in complex material. When you are a fan of art rock or jazz rock from the 70th this is your table. What i can not understand though is the geometry of the tonearm. It is so grossly of from the usual that it is scary. Martina and i plan to look into that. We will get an Amadeus soon so we can experiment with different adjustments.
Hi JG,i never heard Rega P3,but i have heard Rega RB300+Scheu analog,it's good in this prices range,and i also think the Rega RB300 can do the great job.on the other hand,if your friend can afford more,i will suggest Well Tempered,it's good TT from beginning to now.

The cabinets for the La Finta Giardinera are ready.

Attachments

• LFG cabinet front.jpg
    LFG cabinet front.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 359
  • LFG cabinet side.jpg
    LFG cabinet side.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 347
  • LFG cabinet back.jpg
    LFG cabinet back.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 342
Joined 2006
Paid Member
I have a modded Ariston RD80, with a 3,5kg platter that outsings some much heavier platter TT´s I have heard. I do not know if it is the modded suspension, or the special PSU I made for it, but it simply disappears leaving only a spacious beautifull sound.

The Rega P3 with the RB300 is a good tracker but lacks bass weight.

SQ, yes, i think it was that way. I made the head shell by compressing the arm tube so this is a one piece tonearm. The finger lift is made by rolling the compressed arm around a nail. I also build a turntable at that time. It is still working in a friends home. It is a rather heavy direct drive from terrazzo and acryllic. It is quite amasing that we had that kind of ideas over 30 years ago. And there was no internet so a lot of stuff came right out of our mind.
Jose`, sorry, i look terrible on that picture.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
I am using an SME3009 Series II Imp with fixed head shell.

I bought a heavier counterweight from SME (very good service) and added some weight to the headshell to be able to handle the Benz ACE M.

The TT has new springs and damping, the motor is powered by a reducing TX so voltage is around 80VAC bringing out microdetail.

It works very well indeed.

PS:
Your case looks very good :)

I made the second channel of the Starless work. Actually that was not easy. Back in the lab the channel worked again so i was stuck.Then i found that the faulty channel had some considerable DC offset at the input. It was something like 3mV. Nothing to be worried about in a buffer but for an MC phono input this is way too much. First i tried with swapping the Fets but after 1 hour back and forth between plus and minus 10mV i gave up.
The Fets have to be exactly matched right away or you are in trouble. In in end i solved the problem by inserting an offset trimmer.