MPP

I know it can be balanced so there's no DC out...my concern is thermal drift.....simulation is one thing reality another...and it just may be so that all balances out and all works brilliantly with no offset problem,, :)
if not i believe it would be good to mapped the means to isolate the possible drift...Ie by separation of the two stages or to add it at the output..

What are they ? Russian ?
I took a little rest over the weekend. The last weeks saw me very busy designing and building with my team 3 new phono stages for the Milano Top Audio show. They will be shown under the L`Art du Son label with Well Tempered turntables and Decca cartridges.
Martina will be there to demonstrate.
Nevertheless i build one Starless input stage. I could not make it work floating but this is a good thing. I would have needed a separate supply for the buffer and this is not necessary any more. GB is more or less the same then the PEN circuit so i do not see a big advantage in cascoding the Fets. With unselected Fets and BJTs and 1% resistors i have some input and output offset. That can be trimmed away or servoed. I will build the circuit nevertheless. Maybe it sounds better. As you may know me there is also a plan B. An even simpler MC phono. I gave it the name "Naked Truth". That one is not possible to simplify any more or it does not work.

I believe that caps should be mechanically stable... which Teflons rarely are.. to me the best caps is tin polystyrene..sad to see them disappear....I do also like tin/polypropylene caps...they seem to add a pleasant calmness to the proceedings, but lets not make this a cap discussion as I hope Joachim can make it work without...:)

Joined 2006
Paid Member
You are right about the riaa caps. I also found Tin-foil/polystyrenes to be the best choice on the Riaa, but for coupling I find FT-3 very good.

Why do you state Teflon are not mechanically stable ? I had issues with FT-1 but I do not know the cause (It seems the capacitance is no very stable with these).

FT-3 are very good but big.

What are they ? Russian ?
I took a little rest over the weekend. The last weeks saw me very busy designing and building with my team 3 new phono stages for the Milano Top Audio show. They will be shown under the L`Art du Son label with Well Tempered turntables and Decca cartridges.
Martina will be there to demonstrate.
Nevertheless i build one Starless input stage. I could not make it work floating but this is a good thing. I would have needed a separate supply for the buffer and this is not necessary any more. GB is more or less the same then the PEN circuit so i do not see a big advantage in cascoding the Fets. With unselected Fets and BJTs and 1% resistors i have some input and output offset. That can be trimmed away or servoed. I will build the circuit nevertheless. Maybe it sounds better. As you may know me there is also a plan B. An even simpler MC phono. I gave it the name "Naked Truth". That one is not possible to simplify any more or it does not work.
i'm very interested your phono match Well tempered,because i'm Well Tempered user,great turntable and affordable prices

The problem with Teflon is that the material does not crimp..and is very very soft,, so while having good electrical properties, it must rely on the wrapping for mechanical stability.
and thus they are sometimes coated with glass and other stabilizing materials.

Teflon capacitors also have the problem that the teflon-foil is rather thick, which in return leads to larger plates, and as such longer current paths and more/higher inductance. So that the price for the better isolation material is big sizes and compromises in other important areas,, and to me the Cons are larger than the Pros...I do think they perform well in certain areas, as they are very reliable, and thus have been used in military communication equipment.

samsamsam, the good thing is that one of the phono stages will be affordable and it is powered from the new Well Tempered PSU. It has a lot of configuring options. It has MM and MC switchable and adjustable in resistance and capacitance, it has a line input and a volume control and it has a headphone amp. I will later post a picture of the prototype.
I do not want to say more because this thread is not meant for promotion.

Here are photos of the prototype.

Attachments

• ELWMS front.jpg
    ELWMS front.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 342
  • ELWMS hinten.jpg
    ELWMS hinten.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 333