MPP

Yes, sure, this is more or less the quintessential com.diff. structure. I would use the laterals at the output driving the speaker with the drains though. You will observe better stability with a speaker load. Lazy Cat mentioned that in his thread at the beginning when his amp was still simple. I mentioned that several times too but it went unrecognized.
What i really need is a little 25W class A amp so we could open a thread " Simple Class A amp with laterals in common source configuration ". What do you think.

I think that the simple lazy-cat is already there...

I have made PCB's for a scaled version..with Transistor current dumping ala Adyton for the output...plan on running it at 56 V rails, Get 10 PCB's this coming week.....could be possible to tweak the PCB a bit.. and cut off the current dumping part..Then your 30 W is there...

but driving from the drain is surely interesting..

Last edited:
I found a power amp circuit that is a blueprint of some of my phono circuits i published here.
Scary ? no

Attachments

• current feedback amp.jpg
    current feedback amp.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 396
Hi Joachim.. Been fiddling around with the drain tapped poweramp...an can't seem to get i working properly...well it seems like all working points are looking nice.. current in the output fully adjustable..running a nice current (5mA) in the input cascode....But performance is really bad with 2.5% distortion even at low swings...

Will have to look more into this.. Why do you want to take the signal off the Drain..??
I mean the speaker return currents has other ways into the amplifier than though the internal mosfet-diodes...here it runs right into the feedback network..

Maybe this idea to go out the drains does not work with Lazy Cats input stage. I would prefer that connection because of simplicity. Also a lateral Fet is a very good constant current source. I am concerned about the stability of the amp into a complex load. I see here many amps that have THD of less then 0.001% simulated or measured on a dummy load so this problem is solved. For example the TMC blameless that was published in Linear Audio 1. It uses only a few parts and is cheep to make. So why should we design another amplifier ? Self is the champion on low TDH versus cost already. Connected to a real speaker things are not so rosy any more. Anyway Michael, go ahead and design something that works for you. I am curious to investigate it.

I personally think that a mosfet amplifier driving some sets of Bipolar current dumpers is a good way to deal with complex loads,, let en bjt's do the crude current work and then let the fine lateral mosfet amplifier deal with the finer voltage adjustments..this way I believe we can get the best of both worlds...

You will find out, sure.
Here is my AIOG PEN circuit. It looks a bit exotic even for me but it should work. The input stage is now my well known buffer, inverted and without the trimming resistors. I named the circuit Starless and Bible Black due to an article that Malkolm Hawksford wrote and is also a name of a Robert Fripp album.
The precision mirror has excellent DC stability so i hope i can use it without servo. The circuit is fully floating and needs a supply with one polarity only. If it works i plan to make a PCB this time.

Attachments

• Starless and Bible Black MC RIAA 1.0 Summer 2011.TSC - TINA.pdf
    12 KB · Views: 223
Disabled Account
Joined 2008
You will find out, sure.
Here is my AIOG PEN circuit. It looks a bit exotic even for me but it should work. The input stage is now my well known buffer, inverted and without the trimming resistors. I named the circuit Starless and Bible Black due to an article that Malkolm Hawksford wrote and is also a name of a Robert Fripp album.
The precision mirror has excellent DC stability so i hope i can use it without servo. The circuit is fully floating and needs a supply with one polarity only. If it works i plan to make a PCB this time.

Hi Joachim

Clever circuit. :)

The mirrors can of course be improved a bit, I know that you can make them better. :up:

Cheers
Stein