Mpl

Baby Mpl

Hello,

I'd like to build the baby Mpl (page 6), but use a Scanspeak 10F/4424G00 instead of the Fountek because I already own the Scans.

Is it possible to do this with this design? Volume of the Pot?

I think it's quite an acceptable (even elegant ratiowise) shape.

Regards,
Ronnie

Very pleasant reading .... thanks Joachim and all the posters for that :)

Joachim, what are your "My personal/private Loudspeaker" today ?

Do you go with the Envie wide band driver yet ?

I was asking myself if a Mp²L ("My Poor Personal Loudspeaker") was possible today after reading both this thread and the nice closed Satori you developped in the Vendor Bazar ???

I explain myself more my thought. You already showed here that the Dayton wide band could be a cheaper alternativ for a poor man Loudspeaker with the MPL OB/cardioid (resist frame behind ....a little like Gilbert Briggs did with its famous OB "loaded" by a sort of velvet blanket behind ?) . But I also read with great interest your thread about the little two way with Satori 6.5".with the Audax paper yet / btw did you try the one PHL is makink today near the aerogel Audax used to make?) - the boss is an ancient from Audax as well!) but could it be possible to swap the wide band by a the last bigger 7.5" Satori at the price of a multiway territory again (as said Graaf, and a little à la Linkwitz ?)

I don't know if the Envie WideBand is always produced (last version with Alnico magnet which feet with the 60 cm wide bafle (no return side-frames for U frame ?) (and

Satori 7.5" /4 ohms SB Acoustics :: 7½" SATORI MW19P-4 <font color="#FFFF00">NEW! </font>
Satori 7.5" /8 ohms SB Acoustics :: 7½" SATORI MW19P-8 <font color="#FFFF00">NEW! </font> (this last for a MTM cardioided OB with more efficienty- back resistiv frame- ?)

I like both the idea of a passive filter but the Under the 120 hz max with subs + plated embeded amps (dipole or not : sealed servo sub?) and the cardioid OB to allow a gap between the front wall and rear speaker at 1.5 meters max ! .... with a "little" (WAF no lawer project or caveman listening room!) 60 cm width front baflle

One 7.5 " with SS amp or two 7.5" with tubed amp ? Both with an open ribbon à la Fountek ? (poor's man version : Mp²L :D ?)

How could perform this new 7.5" Satori in relation to the 2013 wide band Envie ? or at least with the Dayton's in this design ?

Or am I off topic in relation to your today's still open design around an OB inspired by the LX 521 of S. Linkwitz (your other thread here at Diyaudio) you listened further ?

regards

Eldam (.... searching for a DIY speaker with passive filter... and a sota :)snappy mid-bass in a 25 to 40 square meter room !)

Last edited:
Joachim,

Could you please tell me if the resistive frame you putted behind can help to winn some dB in relation to the non damped measurements ? Just keeped for a cardioid response ? DOe sthe little u-frame helped also or xas it keeped just to have a little better low end for the 8" driver (still made?)

Thanks in advance

Unluckilly, I can't try all the design and drivers for personal money reasons, but I always learned a lot of your threads (and at least have your buffer which sounds very good to my ears, I liked also Audio Physics speakers to listened to its ! )

The motivation of my question is I'm convinced of the good articulation and dynamic a good OB design can have but I try to find a solution to avoid more than one meter from the front and side walls ! At least one of my friend asked to the driver maker here you developed the price of it !

So it's not to ask you a solution but a modest question about the back damping and what I could expect on it with the limitation I have above (room placement : which dictate also the design - so Something cardioid sounds good to me on the paper !). Listening position : classic 2.5 m to 3.5 m possible (no back wall near, not totally agree about the need of a back wall near the chair but we can exchange in PM for that if you want, I'm just an enthusiast)

I had also looked at such commoditiy for back damping : sane in a room : wood fiber for ecological house isolation : STEICO - natürlich besser dämmen: Accueil : I bet a good damping between the side walls of an U-frame (but again for money reason I don't have the fire power of you guys from germany or north Europe ! So my questions... sure my English doesn't help in the askings !)

I'm still in a Learning phase but have some ideas and first choice needs as a sensivity >= to 94/95 db, a good spl, more for the few non compressed reccording I have... less wood skill as possible (so OB, or U-frame helps but can not be a limitation )

Hope my motivation about your asking is clearer :)

best regards Joachim

Last edited:
Here is a fairly recent picture of my listening room.
I play around much with different materials, for the baffle and also for isolation.

Attachments

• Home Summer 2016.jpg
    Home Summer 2016.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 687
Loudspeaker Industry Sourcebook

Graphene membranes seem to be reallity now. Yes, but I didn't show prices for this (graphene) membrane. Is it realy necessary to remind the prices of FOCAL units ? I show a (rather remarkable) reduction in (membane) weight BUT it is just a part of the total weight. Furthermore I diddn't show any stiffnes test (graf) in comparison to polypropylene membrane