• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

MOX-like crossover and discrete opamp group buy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
cowanrg said:
a shopping list would be a worthy addition. i think many of us are still confused how many of whatever we need. it would be nice to see something like "i want to do a stereo 2-way crossover that is 2nd order, therefore i need x boards, etc..."

Read through the thread.. the first post goes through the number of boards needed.

The shopping list is here:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=375491#post375491

(bottom of the first page [with 40 enabled])

--
Brian

A variety of options

The way I intend to use these boards will go something like this:
One set of mostly or fully stuffed boards will be used for evaluating the 3 things adjustable on each board: crossover points "fc", damping "Q", and gain required for each amped section of my speakers.
Once the "ideal" settings or jumper points are determined, I can stuff only those parts needed into boards. Some of this will be decided by the comments I gather in the forum, some will come from the manual and some from listening at home.
So, in use, the boards only require the components in the signal path. For evaluation, a set of boards allows MANY options to be explored.
I know there is a leap of faith required for some of this. I look back to where my knowledge used to be...and look forward to the increase in understanding I'll gain from the "pain" of uncertainty that must be overcome.
I look forward to working on the prototyping section of the board. A "Linkwitz transfer" is relatively simple, a way to actively boost low frequencies where the woofer falls off. Go to:
http://www.pvconsultants.com/audio/eq/linktran.htm
One IC and several passive devices are necessary. This board will already have +/- V on it from a power supply. Check out +/- 15V supplies from MJPA. http://www.mpja.com/
Marchand Electronics www.marchandelec.com offers kits that do things these boards will do. Their manuals offer insight into what is possible that hasn't found its way into Jens' "filter two" manual as of yet. Check them out, particularly the XM-9.
I hope these things help.
I'm thankful for what Jens and tiroth have done so far.
Please let us know of the questions you have.

tiroth said:
I'm finally satisfied that the boards work. I'd like to (officially) begin accepting payments so we can get these boards made up ASAP.

Go here to pay
http://www.anidian.com/audio/construct/mox_order.shtml

I would like to have all payments made by midnight Saturday, May 8th.

I will plan on sending the order Monday, May 10th. I will continue to post tests, especially for the opamps themselves.

Thanks for all the help from folks who have pitched in so far. I'm certain additional contributions will be made as people squeeze every drop of functionality out of these boards.

Hi,

I will make my payment tomorrow. The shipping adress you extract from the Paypal info??

Boards needed for common configurations, stereo
1st/2nd order 2-way: 2
1st/2nd order 3-way: 4
3rd/4th order 2-way: 4
3rd/4th order 3-way with 2nd order BP: 6

cowanrg: you can get a good idea of the parts needed from ver. 1 of the list (thank Brian for linking), but I am going to be updating this in the next week, so I suggest waiting to order any parts.

Duck-Twacy: yes, shipping address comes from paypal.

bg40403 has made some good comments about how the boards can be used. This is exactly how I will use them.

Just 2 be sure.

I want to make a 4th order 2-way stereo x-over (with discrete opamp boards)

So I am ordering:
4 MOX boards a $7 = $28
4 sets of 8 opamp boards a $5 = $20
8 sets of 4 * 2SK389 a $10 = $80
shipping to Holland $11

total $ 139

Is this right, I'm not sure about the number of sets of 2SK389. perhaps it must be 4 sets of 4??

Yes, that is exactly right. You don't really need that many opamps, although it certainly won't hurt; I personally would eliminate the redundant buffer on the bandpass board (saves 4 total--use aux inputs) and probably the output gain adjust buffers (saves 8 total--replace with jumpers). This is a savings of 12 opamps.

Tiroth,

have you resolved the gain mystery? I am also thinking of the 4.7 k resistor and about current capability.

About the 4.7k - I thought it was on the Mopsamp board, not on the filter board? In any case - would this not indeed form a voltage divider with the following stage, which would shift both Fc and dB at the same time (Fc being determined by the ratios of resistance and capacitance)?

About bias and current: Am I right that bias of the Mopsamp output stage is 6.5 mA? Would that no cap the current swing to this value, and be dangerously close to the 3.5 mA highest current demand of the filter by Jens' simulation?

In other words, how about halving R8 to double the bias of T5?

Finally, for use as an output buffer, and regarding Fred's earlier objections, is it safe to use higher power devices for T4 and T5 and bias the output at a decent value, say 100 mA, without endangering open loop performance? (for +- 15 V that would dissipate 3 W and plasic devices probably won't handle that even if they are rated at high enough peak currents, so one would need a heatsink)

Oh yeah, one more. In cascading 2 boards to get a 24 dB/oct LP or HP, what is the ground plane situation? Say, imagine the board design horizontally with signal goung from left to right in case of an input>LP>HP>output buffer connection. If you want to cascade two LP and 2 HP filters on 2 boards, you have to do it "vertically" between two boards: input board 1> LP board 1 > LP board 2 > output board 2 AND input board 2> HP board 2 > HP board 1 > output board 1. Will that mix'n'match not create havoc with the grounding? (I still had a previous version in mind with 2 HP or LP on the same board, when I started thinking about how to wire up the final version...)

Sorry I couldave thought of this earlier (before I ordered ;) ) ...

MBK said:
have you resolved the gain mystery? I am also thinking of the 4.7 k resistor and about current capability.

At the moment I am chalking it up to a problem with the assembly or component. I am building up another board to check it out.

About the 4.7k - I thought it was on the Mopsamp board, not on the filter board?

You can place it on the opamp board or on the mox board, your choice. I put it on the mox board so I could easily plug and unplug the opamp.

I ran a simulation of with the effect of the 4k7 resistor and it had no impact on Fc. I am not very concerned about Fc shift as it is tiny (1/10 octave) at high Q (1.7).

About bias and current: Am I right that bias of the Mopsamp output stage is 6.5 mA? Would that no cap the current swing to this value, and be dangerously close to the 3.5 mA highest current demand of the filter by Jens' simulation?
I'll run the numbers for you myself tonight. I am not concerned about the bias, the higher the current the easier it is for a class A output stage.

Finally, for use as an output buffer, and regarding Fred's earlier objections, is it safe to use higher power devices for T4 and T5 and bias the output at a decent value, say 100 mA, without endangering open loop performance?
This is certainly an option for the more ambitious among us ;).

In cascading 2 boards to get a 24 dB/oct LP or HP, what is the ground plane situation?

I don't understand why you went with such a complex signal routing. Why not simply do

input board #1 > LP #1 > aux input #2 > LP #2 > Out #2
input board #1 > HP #1 > aux input #2 > HP #2 > Out #2

Input grounds all terminate in board #1, output grounds all terminate in board #2.

Duck-Twacy said:
Neat ordering system :)

Btw please could you send a mail as soon as you are shipping (there is no hurry)

Thanks. :) If you've paid for your order with Paypal and gotten to the confirmation page, I have your order.

I am not sending email confirmations for PayPal payments except when people write me directly with questions. I will post here and send an email when the boards ultimately ship.

I am planning on placing the PCB order on the 10th. I have plenty of 2SK389 stock.

Some distortion plots for the MOX board. This is relevant to the opamp too--since these graphs represents the signal passing all the way through (input buffer, high pass filter, output buffer) the opamp distortion will be even lower.

The problem is that the distortion is really too low for me to measure. I've plotted

Loop back - red trace
MOX - blue trace
MOX - residual - green trace

The only distortion even measurable is in the small signal measurement, and appears to be 2nd harmonic at least -88dB down (0.004%).

Attachments

• mox_dist_small.gif
    mox_dist_small.gif
    18.9 KB · Views: 425
Here is the measurement at 1.8 Vrms. Even though no distortion is even visible once the residual is subtracted, we can conclude just from inspection that the 2nd harmonic must be at least -87dB down, the 3rd -90dB, the 4th -106dB, the 5th -104dB (and probably much lower). That means the overall distortion is no higher than 0.0055% at 1.8Vrms, and is very likely considerably lower.

I've posted large versions of both graphs if others would like to take a closer look.

http://www.anidian.com/imgs/mox_dist_small_blowup.GIF
http://www.anidian.com/imgs/mox_dist_large_blowup.GIF

Attachments

• mox_dist_large.gif
    mox_dist_large.gif
    17 KB · Views: 415
One last post tonight. Regarding opamp bias current (set to ~6.25mA by default). The bias requirements are mostly a function of Q; Fc affects the requirement only by 25% or so. I've listed what I believe are the worst case max input voltage without current limiting.

Maximum safe voltage input
Q=0.5 20 Vrms
Q=0.7 12 Vrms
Q=1.0 7 Vrms
Q=1.4 4.5 Vrms
Q=2.4 2 Vrms

(some of these require rather more supply voltage than +-15V ;))

If you need more voltage or are concerned for whatever reason, just increase the bias. You can get up to at least 20mA without changing any active components, so I don't think anyone need be concerned about bias.

Hi Tiroth,

thanks! And those plots look really good.

I rethought the grounding and 4.7k resistor thing, I guess my concerns were unfounded.

One more thing: does the MOX board provide for op amp decoupling caps at each IC pin? The Mopsamp may have them onboard but for drop in IC's they would be needed on the MOX board...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.