• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

MOX-like crossover and discrete opamp group buy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just downloaded a catalog from a supplier here in Singapore. It's a pdf so who knows if it's up to date and also the minimum quantity assumed is unknown. This being said it claims 900 SK389BL in stock at USD 0.60 a piece. I'll try to call tomorrow to find out what the deal is.

OK, false alarm, the Singapore supplier is out of stock on 2SK389 (catalog was from 23 Dec 03, so they seem to be moving fast).

Their pricing seems to be for real though, inquiring about 50 pcs. of 2SK170 , which they do have in stock, I got quoted about 13 cents, which is that catalog price. The 2SK389 in the same catalog was quoted at 60 cents.

Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
Re: Status update

tiroth said:
The proto order has shipped. I will post pictures and test results when I recieve it in a few days. I plan to start taking orders at that time. (via a PayPal shopping cart like BrianGT's gainclone order)

I can provide you with webspace if you need a place to put your order page. Drop me an e-mail if you need some. I am leaving now to go visit relatives, and will be back tuesday morning.

--
Brian

Although it is late, I wanted to post a few pics of the proto boards.

Attachments

• post3.jpg
    post3.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 641
Tiroth,

They are looking good. Waiting to hear about the results. Give us some info on the discrete opamp, how it fits with the DIP socket, output offset voltage, if any. How will a full compliment of the discrete opamps fit on the main board. I'm looking forward to getting started on this project. Great job.

BDP

Looks very nice and mighty "technical". Much better to show off than my spaghetti like protoboard dipole EQ and X- ;).

2 questions: What is the total height incl. standoffs and fitted op amp boards? (for enclosure size). And, how is the connection made between op amp boards and main board - right angle pin strips?

Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
Looks great! I was initially quite concerned with the board size, since I wanted to do some high order filters for my ribbon tweeter 2-way, but I have decided to just do a seperate chassis for each channel, and see how it works out, along with a stereo amplifier chassis for each channel to power the speaker.

I noticed that the boards look roughly cut apart. Are you production boards going to be cut apart by the manufacturering place?

--
Brian

The discrete opamps fit great. If you are using DIP sockets they plug right in with the bypass caps in place so you can switch the discrete in and out with your favorite opamp. If you aren't using sockets, it is probably a good idea lay the bypass caps down on the board. Or just put them on the bottom if your standoffs are as tall as the ones in the pic.

I bought both threaded standoffs and (cheaper) .375" spacers to tie the boards together. While the standoff definitely makes it a bit more mechanically solid, I think the spacers work fine. The combination of the screw thread and the wire power links at the top of the tower make it sturdy enough to plug and unplug many times.

MBK, I'll post the exact dimensions for you tonight, since I'm currently at work. I am indeed using right angle pin strips with 20-mil size pins. Wire links could also be used.

I'll also post the exact footprint of the assembly for those who are interested in replacing opamps in existing designs.

Brian, you're quite right. To save proto costs (to the tune of about $150) I got the protos unscored and dremeled them apart.
:smash: The production boards will be scored by the board shop.

Test results tonight for the MOX and a sanity check to make sure all is well with the discrete opamp. I won't have detailed opamp measurements until Thursday night.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.