MOX - active crossover

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I can't believe, we all were waiting for an active xover, like mana, appears this great thing and the thread dies as soon as the rain drops fall.
I'm going to build it, and have some questions:
- Besides the cost, there is no problem using a selector and some relays to do the selection of slopes, etc, from the front pannel, is it?
- My only doubt is to use discrete or IC opamps. If I use the relays solution maybe there is not too much space in a standard rack, maybe I use a two boards solution. Has anyone had the chance to compare both IC and discrete opamps?
By the way, I still don't understand very well this offset thing, any help?

Raka said:
I can't believe, we all were waiting for an active xover, like mana, appears this great thing and the thread dies as soon as the rain drops fall.
I'm going to build it, and have some questions:
- Besides the cost, there is no problem using a selector and some relays to do the selection of slopes, etc, from the front pannel, is it?
- My only doubt is to use discrete or IC opamps. If I use the relays solution maybe there is not too much space in a standard rack, maybe I use a two boards solution. Has anyone had the chance to compare both IC and discrete opamps?
By the way, I still don't understand very well this offset thing, any help?

I guess that many of us are still waiting for Godot (aka Pass DIY Xover ;) ), and since this is a daring project there's a little fear to take the wrong route.
If Nelson wasn't planning to release his own project we would probably be involved in a group buy for this x-over (or for Uli's one)....

PS I'm starting gathering parts for this project (i.e. 2SK389BL from Schuro with the group buy)

Apart from that :xeye: using relays complicates somewhat the layout, and since a active xover is something to set once for all (after some experimenting of course) I wouldn't bother adding this complexity.
Of course if you like changing slopes/frequencies on the fly... just do it.

For the opamps is relatively easy to make a small PCB to fit a DIL (or even a SMD) opamp on the SIL connector proposed, so you can easily compare.

Cheers

Andrea

Andypairo said:

I guess that many of us are still waiting for Godot (aka Pass DIY Xover ;) ), and since this is a daring project there's a little fear to take the wrong route.

We are becoming a bit lazy lately, wanting the sign of the Master :clown:
I'm thinking about the xover as a tool, so maybe the relays are better option. I'm building now a preamp based on an IC opamp, so I'll leave space for upgrading with a discrete one and check the differences. I'll report, of course ;)

BTW, what group buy for Shuro??? Have I missed something?

Attachments

• godot2.jpg
    godot2.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 2,126
Raka said:

Hi,
be carefull with on line resistors and capacitors switching, using some temporary outputs muting circuitry is recommended. Also, PCB will be much bigger and complex with relays on board what isn't good for overall crossover quality.

My only doubt is to use discrete or IC opamps.

In this design you can switch between IC and discrete OPAMP dougther board very easy.

Regards

PS To Rodd: Thanks for offset explanation. The frequency shift can be only down for 1/6 octave with adding caps from higher decade set.:)

Raka said:

We are becoming a bit lazy lately, wanting the sign of the Master :clown:

Well, the Master has given us a sign:

Nelson Pass said:

Actually, since the MOX was posted over in Solid State, and
the basic circuit is virtually identical to the XVR1, and he has
made board artwork available, I figured that the pressure
should be off, and so I back-burnered it again. It will come out,
but not until I think of something better than I had.

So, if we could organize a PCB-group-Buy of MOX, I would be certainly interested. Who else ?

Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
Variac said:
We want boards!!!!! Who's gonna do it? Brians kinda busy right now...

I actually am actually working on a MOX layout, with a friend, but I won't be getting the prototype boards made for quite a while.

Can't the existing layouts be used for a group order? They seem to work, and look pretty good.

The main difference with my layout plans for this project, is to keep it all one one pcb.

--
Brian

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.