• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

MOX active crossover buy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
moxlite order

BobEllis said:
Funny, since the thread was so quiet I was just wondering if anyone has any spare boards they want to sell? 2-4 would be great.

Has anyone built the boards up? It seems to me that there is a problem in the negative regulator section. Both the input and the output of the regulator are connected to ground, so the regulator cannot have any effect. If the input is lifted from ground (a little Dremel work) and two independent unregulated supplies are provided it should work.

MaxW - the jumpers are for those who want to use either balanced inputs or a subractive crossover. For unbalanced operation, -in must be jumpered to ground if you want to use the buffer for baffle step correction or other shelving EQ. Otherwise it becomes a unity gain buffer.

Tyler hasn't been heard from in a while. Anbello, I hope that you get the boards you ordered.

BobEllis do you think i have put my money in the trash?
Before the order i ask Tiroth for availability and he replay me affirmative, so i did it, but by now i don' t received any kind of feedback from him.

Re: moxlite order

anbello said:

BobEllis do you think i have put my money in the trash?
Before the order i ask Tiroth for availability and he replay me affirmative, so i did it, but by now i don' t received any kind of feedback from him.

Sorry if I was negative - Tyler has been quiet lately, and I over-reacted since I got burned in the XBOSOZ buy.

Bob, I'm about to start asking questions about building my crossovers on stripboard. But should I be looking to buy some mox-lites? The fact that you are keen to buy up spares makes me think it's the way to go maybe.

Or maybe designing on stripboard might be a better learning experience than trying to figure out the mox-lite boards?

Any comments welcome.

Jimbo,

I built my first couple of active XO's on perfboard. Not quite as handy as stripboard, but I had it. As with many perfboard project, I spent a fair amount of time troubleshooting intermittent problems. You may have better luck with stripboard.

I haven't operated my MOX boards yet, which are intended as a replacement for my latest perfboard XO. I just started stuffing them when I figured that it would be nice to have some for the next project.

My thoughts on the MOXLite board
Goods -

Compact high quality board
notch/peaking filters

Others -

negative PS seems wrong to me, but I am using offboard regulators anyway.
Each band won't easily allow bypass of un-needed sections - not too much of a problem if you want 2nd order three way, but if you are after 3rd or 4th order, you end up with an extra buffer in the high pass and maybe an unneeded high pass in the sub and mids. This is nothing that you cannot fix with a little trace cutting, though.

You probably will still need -

Buffer/line driver
Level adjustment
Phase correction - see Linkwitz
I will make the sub HP Q adjustable.

While not perfect for my application, it seems like a better solution than messing around with perfboard

Hope this helps

Hi Bob,
Mox is based on equal value components with adjustable gain and Q. It is a development tool.

Moxlite is based on unity gain making it awkward to achieve good component matching and setting of Q and F requires a lot of arithmetic.

They are quite different animals.

Which do you NEED?

Andrew,

I need both - I want a readily adjustable prototyping unit and then (small) boards to implement the filters for the finished systems. I have a pair of MOX boards, but would like more to enable listening to higher order filters in stereo and/or doing three way systems.

Courtesy of Jens' Active filter manuals, I am able to calculate the component values for the MOXLite boards to match the response I get out of the MOX. I made a spreadsheet that makes the math bearable. It can be "fun" trying to find standard values that work, but that's life. Someone posted a link to a sound card impedance bridge that makes component matching easy, construction takes about half an hour, and costs maybe $10 with Radio Shack parts.

Thanks,

Bob

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.