motorola dcp501

I received the DCP501 yesterday, and hooked it up today. The DVD picture is GREAT, I only have it hooked up to two big speakers and the 2 channel stereo works great! You get a Dolby Digital 2 channel mode for DVD's and a 2 channel stereo mode for cd's. It sounds great right out of the box. On screen display is great, the sound has the class T sound, if the chip breaks in like other Class T chips it should sound even better. The Remote is sweet!

I'm glad I bought two, and I am seriously thinking about a third.
I need to do more listening to give a good review of the sound quality, I only listened to a couple of cd's, and watched part of a DVD. However it has lots of detail, clarity, power and bass.

More later.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
That's why I had bought two a while back. The first one was so clean and nice - not a scratch on it. I couldn't bear to rip her apart, so I kept that one as is. I looked for used/abused/even non-working, but they wanted just as much as new. You will feel the temptation to just leave her as is...The second one, well, she will be in peices as soon as I can get to her, nice or not.

It really works nice as an all in one unit. Just could be improved a bit.

I am just not the type to leave things as they are. Even if it works great. I should seek out a therapist....

John65b,

I am "breaking" it in right now. I really like the DVD picture quality, and the remote, and the sound, and if it improves??? My main question I wanted to ask you is does the sound improve as with the SI 2024, Charlize 2020? thanks.

The unit is so smooth operating even if I buy two more I'm not sure I'd break one up.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
I really don't remember if mine ever "opening up" after using it a while. Sounded good out of the box and continued sounding good...I have about 50 hours total on mine before packing her up (refinishing my basement)...The features (DVD, Cable, etc) are really nice, and it will be difficult to dig into it, but do I really need two complete units? This is my rational for ripping the second one apart....

What speakers are you running? 8 Ohm/4ohm....have you been Overloaded yet? If you are running 8 ohm, most likely not...it really has quite a bit of power for a 100 watter...

Sounds nice tho....kinda knew you would like it.....

Pray for Tripath (the company) We will see what the stock will do this week. I am hoping she gets back on good footing. It would really be a shame if Tripath goes belly up.

I have it hooked up to a pair of 8 ohm, Pioneer HPM 900's (1983). They have 12" woofers and 4" mid, 2' tweeter, and a ribbon super tweeter. They are in the basement (finished) and now I don't have to walk my T-Amp downstairs. No overload problems at all. The next test will to be to walk my Paradigm Monitor 3's down to the moto. The Paradigms have the Banana's, and are awsume, I will be able to compare the sound I am used to hearing the most with the T-amp on the moto. I'll post the results.

I pulled the trigger on a 3rd DCP501. I will use the 2nd one in my upstairs office where the t-amp now sits, hooked up to my Paradigm Monitor 3's. I may modify the 3rd, who know's? For $69 I decided to get it.

As for Tripath they have yet to respond with anything. I'm not happy, they filed the Quarter report with the SEC, but have not "released" it in a PR. As_ho__. I would hope they do it tomorrow, but if not it will not be a good sign. Who knows. They did shave the loss to -.02.

I agree, time to pray!

I'd like to point out that this doesn't have component video out, which makes it over the hill, video-wise.
It'll still work with your standard TV, but it won't be up to snuff for HD, plasma, or projector use.
I might get one anyway, it does appear that you can connect audio from an external DVD with SPDIF, or Toslink and be good to go.
None of his matters if you're gonna tear it apart.
If this thing DID have component out, it could replace my entire stereo system. Well, except the turntable.

WOW, this thing is MONSTROUS. Its even bigger than my HTPC case.

Man, $90 shipped to my front door is just unreal for this thing. I would pay at least double that just for the amp board and trafo. I'm kinda in disbelief. I'm going to have to try really hard to keep myself from buying more. My girlfriend will is going to kill me.

I did a quick output power test and it did fairly well. I used a sine of 20hz because its the only way I can test high power without the neighbors knocking on my door. I turned it up untill audible clipping and then backed off just untill it was gone. I measured 27v @ 3.9A = 105.3watts @ 6.92ohms. I played the sine for about 30 seconds and the current draw slowly decreased down to about 3.2 by the time I stopped it. The voltage stayed at around 27v.

A 20hz sine is a pretty brutal test and I think it did pretty good. Even 20hz into clipping didn't trip any protections, so maybe the problem mentioned before doesn't exist with every unit.

Well, I'm pretty excited to rip into this, so I'll post some pics of the amp board when I'm done.

I have the amp board and supply out after quite a bit of effort. I'll post some pics tomorrow.

I'll try paralleling my mains to one channel and see if I can get it to trip. It should draw around 8 amps with that load. If the protection trips its probably due to over-current.

Its a shame the power supply for the amp is used for some other parts of the unit. I was going to make it a passive unit and take all the line level signals that went to the amp board and put RCA connector on the back of the unit where the speaker terminals were. Then at least I wouldn't have to throw it away. If I still wanted to do that I would have to make a supply with +5v, +-6v, +-15v, and -30v. Or, make a new supply for the amp board instead and keep this one in the unit.

I made a typo above; my girlfriends name isn't will.

:smash:

panomaniac, Thanks for the aircore tip. After you get your moto, I would be very interested to hear your thoughts on the number one modification you would do to it. John65b what do you think?

This units sounds great , My next test will to hook up my DVD player that Ive been using with the SI Amp to the moto and compare the sound with it.

This is fun.

TRPH appears to be dead.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Anonymous1 -- The power supply - the rails are +/-30V? I haven't had the time to rip into mine yet... According to the TA3020 spec sheet, you can go to +/-60V and get over 300wpc @.1% THD....I would drop that supply and keep the remaining "Guts" usefull - not a bad idea...

+/-30V will give you around 100wpc @8ohm, so this checks out...

And the real cool thing about these TA3020, you CAN BRIDGE THEM TO OVER 1000WPC @4OHM!!! So you can potentially have a 3 channel system getting 2 x 1000wpc and a single 300wpc with a beefed up +/-60V power supply (again, 4 ohm).

Google the RB-TA3020.pdf and you will see that the boards in the Moto are very very similar looking to the Tripath RB-TA3020 dual channel Evaluation boards...shows you how to bridge the Evaluation amps too...

Also Google the standard TA3020.pdf and you will find the specsheet

Attachments

• rb-ta3020.jpg
    rb-ta3020.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 620
Joined 2005
Paid Member
And don't worry about tripping the amp on a 4 ohm load. Just "reboot" and all will be OK...maybe theres a Microsoft Capacitor in there somewhere...

Tripath07 -->Yes, I am afraid Tripath may be on its last leg. I hope they find some cash quick. I have an uncle in Jersey - no neck, hairy thumbs...maybe he can "visit" Dr T??? Make him an offer he can't refuse?