most powerful class D for car without inverter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I did a project based on this several years ago. I used some LM2722 buck regulators as driver chips in a H bridge config with some lowRDS soic8 mosfets - irf9410. The drivers were extremely good with very little over/undershoot at that level. Was able to run 1 ohm sub quite well also worked well full range, this was an asynchronous design. Problem with the speaker when the resistance is that low is that is that it becomes a resistor. Dual 2ohm and up is better.

TDA1560Q and TDA1562Q are BTL class H amplifiers. They use a couple of big electrolytic capacitors that are charged during signal valleys and then used to double the supply voltage during signal peaks as required. TDA1560Q can only drive 8 ohms and can produce almost 30W while TDA1562Q can drive 4 ohms and produce 55W, both assuming 14.4V input.

These chips are a good solution if you can find them. Otherwise consider seriously a SMPS to get a higher voltage out of 12V. The simplest form would be a boost converter whose inductor may easily be the traditional input filter inductor... I have seen that trick done in some Blaupunkt head units, above a certain volume they turn on the boost converter and feed 17V to the amplifier IC.

hi,

even i planned to build an amp for my hertz 15" sub. the amp part is not that difficult. te power supply is. i dropped the idea. ill build it when i have the required experiene and knowledge and i think im not that far.

also the parts needed are not easily availale here. atleast not in my city. still i would try one day.

cheers
clip

clipto333 said:
hi,

even i planned to build an amp for my hertz 15" sub. the amp part is not that difficult. te power supply is. i dropped the idea. ill build it when i have the required experiene and knowledge and i think im not that far.

also the parts needed are not easily availale here. atleast not in my city. still i would try one day.

cheers
clip

You can get a ferrite toroid and some more useful hardware from almost any junk car audio amplifier. You can make a high power push-pull SMPS out of the toroid of most small amplifiers since the windings are actually the limiting factor for power output, and you can replace them by thicker ones and increase operating frequency to reduce turns. Broken amplifiers may be found for sale on ebay for little money. Search the forum for threads on 12V push pull SMPS.

hey guys,

thanks for the encouragement and your help.

im in india and most of the stuff available there is only shipped in the us.

i have 2 quite big torroidal cores which were used in amplifiers(audio) theie ratings were the same. i think 0-32v 10 amp x 2. the windings were short so i bought them quite cheap. i wound them again for the chip amp i wanted to make so i got the voltage i required i.e. 0-22v. with this project also i didnt get the required components like MF resistors, some caps and the worst part is that lcr and true rms dmms are not available here

i tried to source the parts from us through my cousin but i guess they were not helpful enough. also im not a cedit card user so i cant order.

i love diy and the only limiting factor is the components which are required and are not available. no one is helpful enough to send the stuff from other cities/countries. i have even offered advance payment.

cheers
clip

mhtplsh said:
Clip,
Let me know which amplifier was in ur mind? I can try to get u the torroid core required.
This way we can help each other.

Is there any simple chip based class D design?

hi,

thanks for the help. as of now i dont know about chip based class d designs. i will let you know if i find anything. im online for like more than 15 hours daily and all i do is related to audio. i love diy.

cheers
clip

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.