More watts?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Setting the 120V primary to the 100V setting would most likely set the transformers core into saturation!!

This action is like a short circuit and result in a overload condition for the primary winding and burn up the primary winding before you even have a chance to draw any current from the transformer.

Increasing the supply voltages also increases the current through all of the devices by the same amount.
The increase of power the power dissipation requirement of all of the devices will be the square of the amount of the increase more and everything will just start to heat up, Rather Quickly.

Hence, If you double the voltage then the power dissipation requirement of every component goes up by factor of 4X.

This raising of the voltage will also cause an imbalance of its designed parameters and Bias points (voltages) and the circuit would likely destroy itself trying to get stabilized!!

FWIW!!

You are better off with building something simple like chipamp such as a PA100 or PA150 if you didn't want to build a discrete solid state amplifier.

There are many fine examples of such designs including discrete solid state types in these threads that are very easy to construct as well as affordable to build.

Such as those using the LM4702's and LME49811 types that use only 3 or 4 devices for that power range with excellent spec's and sound.

https://www.google.com/search?num=1....7.0....0...1c.1.46.hp..1.6.590.0.AuVl_OpskDQ

jer :)

Setting the 120V primary to the 100V setting would most likely set the transformers core into saturation!!

Possibly. If it's a 50 Hz/100V rated transformer it will operate perfectly normally as a 60 Hz/120V. Same flux density. I use this little trick all the time to get more out of surplus toriods. The current rating, however, must still be respected for long term operation. You can overload the **** out of a toroid and get away with it.

But you can't do that with power transistors! Upping the Vcc requires a complete redesign. And the only schematic I've seen linked in this thread does not inspire confidence that any effort to do so would be worthwhile. If I understood it correctly it's zero bias with capacitor coupling between the VAS and OPS? I wouldn't waste good high power transitors polishing that turd.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.