More magic stones and hockey pucks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yes I knew that. If I shift my coffeetable 1 foot it changes the room acoustics and sometimes I can hear it.
Anybody need an acoustic cancellation coffeetable? Just $12.000 (plus shipping).
My point is that the description is there to encite me to buy it. So, I read the description and conclude that it's bogus. YMMV.

jan

And from the description that is a reasonable conclusion! What made it interesting is the good reviews suggest there may be something there. JC provided a hint as to what may be going on mentioning turning on and off the oscillator. If piezo tweeters actually still had ultra-sonic output I would have done a quick test. (The last batch I measured rolled hard at 10K!)

I think the idea of adding bias not just to the air but actually to the tweeters output may be an interesting experiment. I am too backed up to try something today. But how hard is it for anyone to mix in a test oscillator with an existing music system?

As I said before sometimes an outlandish idea actually works. (I reserve the right to claim magic boxes work after I have actually tried a few things.)

Now as to magic rocks... there may be an explanation, but the smart money would not bet on it.

Last edited:
Neurochrome.com
Joined 2009
Paid Member
I'm more concerned about my dog.

I have noticed that when I perform amplifier testing at above 10 kHz with a speaker connected rather than the usual dummy load, all the neighborhood dogs start barking. It's really quite entertaining in a mad scientist sort of way...

I still Cal has the right idea, though. Just place a couple of hockey pucks at various locations in the room. I actually have a stack of five hockey pucks below my stereo. The sound just wouldn't be the same without them...

~Tom

Those were the guys giving the beads out. The other party selling actually had no property rights!

Not beads actually, but bought it for 5 dozen guilders. Of course, that was before the Euro, so it is actually a bit more than you would expect. You see, this tribe contains some clever traders, always in for a bargain. But even then, we didn't want to rip off folks just because they had no paper, and hence no property rights..

You guys could have bought your way to the West, think about it.

Last edited:
Non linearity of air AFAIK only plays a role at very high (close to 200 dB) intensities. The opposite situation from tape bias.

Above 194dB or so propagation is by shockwave, air has nonlinearity well below this but it becomes a complex thermodynamic problem. They estimate the two major volcanic catastrophies at 300+ dB. The AES reprints have an article on the 180+dB horns used to test launch pad design.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.