Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

I am trying to install moode on 3B+.

First i tried moode image from 3B with all updates and dist-upgrade, but the image has kernel 4.9.79-v7+ and my 3B+ seems to need 4.9.80.

Than i tried to build moode on 3B+. I edited mosbuild and set "LATEST_KERNEL=n". Mosbuild ist starting, but after some time stopping with different errors and i can see with uname -a kernel version 4.14.30, so the kernel was updated.

Any hint howto build moode on 3B+ ?

Last edited:
No matter what I do, I almost always get the same cover art for my songs. I even rebuild my SD card again, but every time I hook up my HD and update the database, I get the same cover art again. It actually varies between about 10 different pictures. And if I hook up the HD to my computer and try to play the songs, I do get the correct cover art...
Any idea how to solve this problem?

Thx,
Johan

Since upgrading my Win10 laptop and a new installation of iTunes 12.7.3.46 - moOde Airplay now no longer works.

On trying to select the output device as airplay in iTunes, it completely freezes to the point that the sub-window stays on top of all other windows and I have to close iTunes using Task Manager (end process).

I can still connect to moOde airplay directly with my iPhone so something has defo gone wrong with iTunes. This is less a plea for help but more a warning for others who might be tempted to upgrade their iTunes software... there could be something now broken.

Last edited:
Looking for the best possible sound quality and missing LL and RT kernel in new moode i tested few things.

1. This is a must - wifi off, bt off, hdmi off, volume control off, eq off, resampling off.

2. adding one option to /boot/config.txt

gpu_mem=16

maybe this could be set automatically, when the hdmi=off option is used ?

3. adding two options to /boot/cmdline.txt

smsc95xx.turbo_mode=N isolcpus=2,3

smsc option is standard in pcp an described here:

Raspberry Pi and realtime, low-latency audio [Linux-Sound]

isolcpus is isolating two cpus only for mpd and works only on quadcore pi's.

4. changing some options in /lib/systemd/system/mpd.service, original value is uncommented:

#CPUSchedulingPolicy=other
CPUSchedulingPolicy=fifo

tried different, for me fifo sounds best.

#CPUSchedulingPriority=43
CPUSchedulingPriority=70

tried higher settings, but 70 is a good compromise

#Nice=-10
Nice=-15

also tried higher values, but -15 is a good compromise

#ExecStart=/usr/local/bin/mpd --no-daemon $MPDCONF
ExecStart=/usr/bin/taskset -c 2,3 /usr/local/bin/mpd --no-daemon $MPDCONF

this one is starting mpd using isolated cpus and no other processes are using those cpus.

Tested with Pi3B - Digi+Pro - i2s - Buffalo II with 4 hq power supplies and with Pi3B-DAC+pro with 3 hq power supplies and waves files played from 256GB pendrive.

This my subjective opinion, i was not doing any measuerement, only tests with my friends on my (good :) ) hifi system.

I tried underclocking, but maybe it has a positive effect, when there is only one power supply.

I am not yet 100% sure, if it is better, than the former moode with LL and RT kernel, there is still some kind of hard digititus, which was not present with LL kernel...

Maybe some of those options (like Nice from -10 to -20, fifo or rr, isolate 2 cpus for mpd etc) could be available in moode giving better sound for all of us :)

Tomek.

Looking for the best possible sound quality and missing LL and RT kernel in new moode i tested few things.

1. This is a must - wifi off, bt off, hdmi off, volume control off, eq off, resampling off.

2. adding one option to /boot/config.txt

gpu_mem=16

maybe this could be set automatically, when the hdmi=off option is used ?

3. adding two options to /boot/cmdline.txt

smsc95xx.turbo_mode=N isolcpus=2,3

smsc option is standard in pcp an described here:

Raspberry Pi and realtime, low-latency audio [Linux-Sound]

isolcpus is isolating two cpus only for mpd and works only on quadcore pi's.

4. changing some options in /lib/systemd/system/mpd.service, original value is uncommented:

#CPUSchedulingPolicy=other
CPUSchedulingPolicy=fifo

tried different, for me fifo sounds best.

#CPUSchedulingPriority=43
CPUSchedulingPriority=70

tried higher settings, but 70 is a good compromise

#Nice=-10
Nice=-15

also tried higher values, but -15 is a good compromise

#ExecStart=/usr/local/bin/mpd --no-daemon $MPDCONF
ExecStart=/usr/bin/taskset -c 2,3 /usr/local/bin/mpd --no-daemon $MPDCONF

this one is starting mpd using isolated cpus and no other processes are using those cpus.

Tested with Pi3B - Digi+Pro - i2s - Buffalo II with 4 hq power supplies and with Pi3B-DAC+pro with 3 hq power supplies and waves files played from 256GB pendrive.

This my subjective opinion, i was not doing any measuerement, only tests with my friends on my (good :) ) hifi system.

I tried underclocking, but maybe it has a positive effect, when there is only one power supply.

I am not yet 100% sure, if it is better, than the former moode with LL and RT kernel, there is still some kind of hard digititus, which was not present with LL kernel...

Maybe some of those options (like Nice from -10 to -20, fifo or rr, isolate 2 cpus for mpd etc) could be available in moode giving better sound for all of us :)

Tomek.

very nice info there
I'll try some of this.

thanks to you !