Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

Hi!

Thanks for all the great info on the forum. Moode looks like the best option for my needs, however, after having figured out most of the how to's by reading for more than a few days ...

How do I enable the Moode interface on a connected official 7" Touchscreen? All is connected & well, I enabled support in settings, however all I see on the screen is the command line...

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Mike

You need to load the Linux UI and run a browser.

Hi,

Just an FYI that while waiting to wrap things up for upcoming moOde 4.1 update, @swizzle and I took some time to improve the volume control and Pi Touch UI :)

The volume control for mobile is now a popup. A tap on the center number toggles mute. The plus and minus buttons are volume steps. This design is easy to use and makes for a more streamlined, minimalist UI.

The UI for Pi Touch is de-zoomed, easier to read and more responsive.

There are a few more improvements that will be added including a live time slider for mobile and a setting that will enable UPnP controller volume and mute to be picked up by moOde UI.

-Tim

In playing around with the Android Spotify app, I've noticed a volume slider bar behavior worth passing along..

They have a full screen (at least in portrait orientation) horizontal bar, that has the following behavior:

1. If just tapped someplace on the bar that would cause a large transition, like far right for 100%, it does not jump to that value, it just makes a short 10% jump and stops. If you tap again, you only get another 10% step in that direction.

2. If you press the bar on the cursor and hold, then it gives you control of the bar, and when you drag the cursor up and down the volume adjusts accordingly as you slide, until you let go of the bar. Instant full range adjustments are possible.

Hope that was clear. This works really well in giving you a very responsive slider bar, but safe from the accidents. I'm pretty impressed with it. Definitely something to check out.

I'd still want to see a volume level number... they don't have one on their app either.

Last edited:
Get Stretch Lite, rather than full-fat. I’m not sure where you got Rel-stretch-r40 from - this is wha you want: Download Raspbian for Raspberry Pi

Your search-fu is poor - the last 100 pages o so are all about building Moode on SD.

Burn it to an SD card, turn on SSH as per the instructions and make it WiFi headless if you need to, then follow the three lines of instruction on moodeaudio.org

Thanks for the quick response. I've downloaded Raspian and got it running. When I run those commands it immediately returns to the prompt and I don't get the dialogue to proceed. Rel-stretch-r40.zip is what downloads when I click the 'Download Moode 4.0' button. It contains a Linux file structure, which I assume is what the image builder uses to build the image, so I imagine it needs to be somewhere accessible to the rPi?

Hi,

Just an FYI that while waiting to wrap things up for upcoming moOde 4.1 update, @swizzle and I took some time to improve the volume control and Pi Touch UI :)

The volume control for mobile is now a popup. A tap on the center number toggles mute. The plus and minus buttons are volume steps. This design is easy to use and makes for a more streamlined, minimalist UI.

There are a few more improvements that will be added including a live time slider for mobile and a setting that will enable UPnP controller volume and mute to be picked up by moOde UI.

-Tim

Great. Looks like you two (Tim and Swizzle) are just able to do anything you want with moode. Change this or that and you just do it. I am curious to understand how it works. It looks easy. But if it was so easy, every one else in the competition would just have done the same. It looks like so far only moode has bluetooth, graphic and parametric equalizer, and adaptive background. Do you just pull these tricks out your sleeve, read them somewhere, create them yourself from scratch?
Thanks for doing all these for the moode community.
Remy

Hi,

-Tim

Do tidal be repaired in moode 4.1 ?

In playing around with the Android Spotify app, I've noticed a volume slider bar behavior worth passing along..

They have a full screen (at least in portrait orientation) horizontal bar, that has the following behavior:

1. If just tapped someplace on the bar that would cause a large transition, like far right for 100%, it does not jump to that value, it just makes a short 10% jump and stops. If you tap again, you only get another 10% step in that direction.

2. If you press the bar on the cursor and hold, then it gives you control of the bar, and when you drag the cursor up and down the volume adjusts accordingly as you slide, until you let go of the bar. Instant full range adjustments are possible.

Hope that was clear. This works really well in giving you a very responsive slider bar, but safe from the accidents. I'm pretty impressed with it. Definitely something to check out.

I'd still want to see a volume level number... they don't have one on their app either.

Hi,

If u notice in the screen shots there is no volume slider. We decided to go with a popup volume knob. Easier to use, responsive and reduces the number of buttons and things on the UI :)
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pc-based/271811-moode-audio-player-raspberry-pi-1442.html#post5370007

Software volume controls need some sort of safety mechanism to prevent accidentally setting high or full volume. The N% step limit is interesting. I see its also used on iTunes mobile slider although it behaves a bit differently. It simply doesn't change volume at all if you tap too far away from the thumb.

Hey @swizzle, if u see this, the step limiter seems like a good thing to do to protect against errant taps. Maybe even volume warning not needed anymore. What do u think?

Thx @JonPike!

-Tim

The Pi3 only has one wireless transmitter used for both WiFi and Bluetooth which seems to be time-sliced between functions and then you have tx/rx turnover - the worst case scenario is using BT speakers with content derived from a NAS over WiFi :)

The only time I use BT is for my cycling earphones and my stupid car stereo that allows me to attach my iPod via USB, but only talks to it over BT and only one device at a time, so phone calls ring on my phone, not on handsfree. Nasty piece of rubbish that came with the Toyota, it will be changed.

The chip that drives the Pi wireless is pretty good considering it’s power and all it has to do, but the engineering was always going to be a compromise shoehorning it into the Pi universe. I hope the Pi4 has an external sma connector and USB3.

My better late than never response.
I was playing with a pi, and some software that turns a pi into a bluetooth music player. Add a dac and powered speaker, and you have a bluetooth speaker.
But ran into the problem above. In my case, just having the internal bluetooth and wifi enabled on the pi, and trying to stream bluetooth music, the music stuttered badly and was not listenable.

Add either an external wifi dongle, or bluetooth dongle, and disable the internal one, and problem is solved. With wifi, you do need to be careful not to exceed the current the pi can provide to the usb connector.

To disable internal bluetooth,
edit /boot/config.txt

Code:
sudo nano /boot/config.txt
I scrolled down the the end, and added these lines. Note first line is just a comment.

Code:
#disable the internal bluetooth
dtoverlay=pi3-disable-bt
Type control x, then answer y to exit and save as config.txt

you also need to disable the software part, you can stop it using this command:

Code:
 sudo systemctl disable hciuart

To disable the internal wifi:

Code:
add these two lines to the end disable internal wifi , first line is a comment

Code:
#disable built in wifi
dtoverlay=pi3-disable-wifi
Exit and save

My PSA lol.

Display Problems and other Things

Hello Tim,

i have tried to change the Settings you told me.

But this dosnt work :-(

The boot time is also very long when no eth0 is connected. It takes about 1 Minute till the System shows the defekt moode Screen.

When eth0 is connected, the boot time is ok, around 39 Sec.

I cross Checked this with an Older Version of moode, and here we have a much faster boot up and no Display problems while ETH0 is not connected.

Also i find another srange behavior with showing Covers.

When i have a mixed Folder of Flac Files, moode chooses randomly a Cover to Display for all Files in this Folder.

In the older Moode Version, it shows the right Cover Picture for every Song he Playes. So it Changed it with every song.

With the newest Version this is gone.

Or did i missed a setting?

Best regards, Mirko
Hi Mirko,

Its not started by moOde startup (worker.php) but by systemd. you could try adding network.target to the systemd service file After= line. This should result in Chrome not being started until after the network is "up".

/lib/systemd/system/localui.service

After=nginx.service php7.0-fpm.service mpd.service network.target

Also remove the first line in the # header that has the bash shebang. Its harmless but nonetheless should not be there.

-Tim

My better late than never response.
I was playing with a pi, and some software that turns a pi into a bluetooth music player. Add a dac and powered speaker, and you have a bluetooth speaker.
But ran into the problem above. In my case, just having the internal bluetooth and wifi enabled on the pi, and trying to stream bluetooth music, the music stuttered badly and was not listenable.

Add either an external wifi dongle, or bluetooth dongle, and disable the internal one, and problem is solved. With wifi, you do need to be careful not to exceed the current the pi can provide to the usb connector.

To disable internal bluetooth,
edit /boot/config.txt

Code:
I scrolled down the the end, and added these lines. Note first line is just a comment.

Code:
#disable the internal bluetooth
dtoverlay=pi3-disable-bt
Type control x, then answer y to exit and save as config.txt

you also need to disable the software part, you can stop it using this command:

Code:
 sudo systemctl disable hciuart

To disable the internal wifi:

Code:
add these two lines to the end disable internal wifi , first line is a comment

Code:
#disable built in wifi
dtoverlay=pi3-disable-wifi
Exit and save

My PSA lol.

These are settings on System config. If u manually edit the file then moOde is broken.

Hello Tim,

i have tried to change the Settings you told me.

But this dosnt work :-(

The boot time is also very long when no eth0 is connected. It takes about 1 Minute till the System shows the defekt moode Screen.

When eth0 is connected, the boot time is ok, around 39 Sec.

I cross Checked this with an Older Version of moode, and here we have a much faster boot up and no Display problems while ETH0 is not connected.

Also i find another srange behavior with showing Covers.

When i have a mixed Folder of Flac Files, moode chooses randomly a Cover to Display for all Files in this Folder.

In the older Moode Version, it shows the right Cover Picture for every Song he Playes. So it Changed it with every song.

With the newest Version this is gone.

Or did i missed a setting?

Best regards, Mirko

Hi Mirko,

The cover issue is fixed in upcoming 4.1 update but I have no idea whats causing your WiFi issue...

-Tim

Software volume controls need some sort of safety mechanism to prevent accidentally setting high or full volume. The N% step limit is interesting. I see its also used on iTunes mobile slider although it behaves a bit differently. It simply doesn't change volume at all if you tap too far away from the thumb.

Hey @swizzle, if u see this, the step limiter seems like a good thing to do to protect against errant taps. Maybe even volume warning not needed anymore. What do u think?
I think range limiting the control will go a long way in reducing the likelihood of anything too crazy happening, and make it easier to fine tune to the desired level.

If the control is too easily adjusted accidentally to extremes (it’s never happened to me that I recall but 1) I only use it in testing and 2) my listening volume is set externally to moode so worst case is it’d get quieter) then that should probably be addressed somehow. Ignoring changed values > n% might be good.

@remy1961 Programming (or design) is like standing on the shoulders of giants as the saying goes. Tim puts in an incredible amount of work into moode, it’s rare to have someone so dedicated to a project that doesn’t really compensate them for their time, hopefully people appreciate that.

@aditya There are apps that will work as a front end to moode but I wasn’t ever all that happy with them so I started looking at what I could do to make the moode webui a better experience. It still has a ways to go but I’m overall happier with it than I am with anything else.

@remy1961 Programming (or design) is like standing on the shoulders of giants as the saying goes. Tim puts in an incredible amount of work into moode, it’s rare to have someone so dedicated to a project that doesn’t really compensate them for their time, hopefully people appreciate that.

Amen to this. If you like moOde, show your appreciation by helping compensate for the project costs, which include Tim's seemingly inexhaustible time.

The whole world of free and open source(FOSS) software is suffering from the odd notion that it is automagically free of costs [hint: it's not!]. I can't save the world but I do what I can to support Tim.

Regards,
Kent