Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

Once you boot your RPI, you can ssh in it and monitor the building process with : tail -f /home/pi/mosbuild.log.

The RPI will reboot around 8 times during building and it takes around 40mn-1h

Thanks I just redid the image build and inserted the moode SD card and booted the Pi3. The setup is going on as I have now connected the Pi to my TV rather than checking with SSH :). Rebooted twice already in 10 mins, lets hope it works now as I want to hear it compared to my Win2012R2 with Audiophile Optimizer + Foobar2000 paired with my Soekris R2R DAC with Amanero I2S dac.

@manniraj

It's best just to wait at least 1 hour. You will be able to access the Moode GUI before then via your browser, but if you try to configure things too soon you will interrupt the build process.

Edit: Better still, monitor as you are doing. or via Koda59's method that he posted while I was typing my reply.

Last edited:
Ok, I have been wanting to ask this for awhile.

I have a Digi+ hat that I use for audio aout, and it seems it does not send out a digital audio signal to stay synced with my DAC. My USB to SPDIF I guess used to send all zeros.

So when I play a track, unless I have another song ready on,my playlist, my DAC sees no signal present. Then, when a song starts, I miss about the first second or two waiting on everything to sync up.

Is there a way to send all zeros when there is nothing playing. I could not find a setting in the menu.

I think I am on a register at Hifiberry, so I don't think I should offer any further opinion of the shoddy nature of his products, but I have used a bunch of IQ Audio HATs and they have performed admirably and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

But there are also a ton of other good HAT DAC's out there that won't try and screw around with your Wifi signal...

I built a nice pair of speakers using his Pi Digi-Amp+ which is a great little 20-30W amp and works really well with Moode. Pi-DigiAMP+ - IQaudIO Limited

If you've already made the amplification stage, then there are many choices you could make, all of them good, but bearing in mind it's an airplay solution, going mental on the 'best' DAC is probably not returning value for money. Any I2S DAC will work, it doesn't necessarily have to sit on top of the Pi -0 especlaiiy if you're mounting it inside a speaker cabinet.

I used to use cheap Chinese Pi DAC clones for my refurbished radios, but it looks like they've decided they can charge the same as top-quality European designers, so I've given up on them. The Pi-DAC Zero and Pi DAC+ from IQ are what I would choose for a straight DAC.

I'm sure others could offer you other HAT DAC recommendations.

Thanks Zootalaws, I ordered 2 IQ audio pi digiamps last night to relace 2 hifiberry dac amps to see if this solves my problem. I'll keep you posted on the outcome. Thanks again for the info.

Ok, I have been wanting to ask this for awhile.

I have a Digi+ hat that I use for audio aout, and it seems it does not send out a digital audio signal to stay synced with my DAC. My USB to SPDIF I guess used to send all zeros.

So when I play a track, unless I have another song ready on,my playlist, my DAC sees no signal present. Then, when a song starts, I miss about the first second or two waiting on everything to sync up.

Is there a way to send all zeros when there is nothing playing. I could not find a setting in the menu.

Hi,

Provide more details for example what DAC?

-Tim

Ok its working now after close to 1.5hrs of running and setting up with multiple reboots :)

Ok after mounting my music folder from my Synology NAS server it got successfully mounted. Now I did the rescan and update the server no music files are showing up on my library. Need ideas as I did the update many times and rescanned multiple times since more than 4 to 5 hrs and nothing is showing up.

Hi manniraj,
Can you see your Music folder in the "browse" tab ?
If yes, can you click on the 3 dots on the right side of your NAS folder line and select "update this folder". a spin arrow appear on the tab title and start to update folder. wait a little and select the folder, if it contains music file compatible with moode they start to appear (the process time depend of number of track, network speed, RPi speed and memory, music format, etc...).
When the arrows are finished you can see if the library is updated, if not maybe you have a miss configuration somewhere, or your files aren't in a moOde Audio compatible format.

Good Luck

Hi,
Several people mentioning that previous moode versions with real-time kernel sounded better than moode-4. I‘m experiencing the same.
I upgraded to 4 because i have the kali reclocker which sounded worse when actually used on my old moode 3.4 (or the like).

So while I can confirm that now kali + piano2.1 souns better than piano alone on v.4, i must conclude that the piano without still is superior with my old moode version and real-time-kernel.

So, i have some questions:

1. How is that possible? Wich features of the rt-kernel prevent degrading of sq (as it seems to be the case with the standard kernel) and how?

2. how safely enable those features on moode 4? I understood that the previous rt-kernel was not the standard debian/rpi version, but a tweaked version by diy-audio member soundcheck, if i recall correctly. What were those additoinal features?

3. I‘m considering trying to make moode avaliable for the distro of my heart (gentoo). That‘ll take some time and learning but could be fun. Tim, can you provide me with the info which dependencies a stripped-down to the bones linux installation moode 4 would require?

Rüdiger

Starting up a discussion about perceived soundquality changes achieved through software changes will kill every thread!!
Asking others for a reason behind a perceived difference is kind of leading nowhere.
The one who tries to "speculate" about it, will be put into the snakeoil corner as soon as the first word is typed. :rolleyes:

There's a reason why Tim stays out of these kind of discussions. And he's doing right.

If you want to discuss these kind of topics, you better open a new thread.
You wouldn't like to get this thread killed by such a discussion.

The custom kernels that we used to have inside mOode (lowlat and rt) didn't just come with a standard rt-patch applied.
Several patches and configurations changes were applied.
There's a pretty simple logic applied throughout: Try to make a kernel more efficient.
(The same should be and also partially is applied to other SW and configurations involved in the project)

Enjoy.

Last edited:
As a break from build related posts..

I have noticed that there is a now an AAC 320K stream for Radio Paradise, you can add this to Moode and see which you prefer the sound of AAC or MP3 ( sorry @soundcheck) not sure there is much in it but I think the bass is 'maybe' better on AAC.

The more interesting news is that for those that had not realised the phone app supports flac so perhaps you can airplay/blue tooth that. Also the Flac will come to the web app and streams in February ( :) )

Radio Paradise

Last edited:
Nothing to be sorry about.

You're talking about a different subject.
If you change audio data (lossy audio formats, DSP, volume control,...), there'll be a difference. I guess nobody questions this.
The perceived impact of such a change might be subject to this or that argument.

The other discussions refer to changes in perceived soundquality, assuming the same bits (logical) are received by the DAC!! That's quite a different subject. ;)

Enjoy.

Hi manniraj,
Can you see your Music folder in the "browse" tab ?
If yes, can you click on the 3 dots on the right side of your NAS folder line and select "update this folder". a spin arrow appear on the tab title and start to update folder. wait a little and select the folder, if it contains music file compatible with moode they start to appear (the process time depend of number of track, network speed, RPi speed and memory, music format, etc...).
When the arrows are finished you can see if the library is updated, if not maybe you have a miss configuration somewhere, or your files aren't in a moOde Audio compatible format.

Good Luck

Yes I did that couple of times and I can see the arrows rotate on the browse option for sometime but then nothing happens after that and no file is loaded. Everything else regarding the folder with music files are all fine as with the same NAS location I am able to play music using my Win2012 of Foobar PC. Also even the radio stations I don't hear any music even though it starts playing. By the way I have the Soekris DAC + Amanero I2S in my DIY machine, so when I used the I2S dac as Soekris then nothing plays and after change to "None" as the hint says select none if using USB dac. So none of the options work for the sound output. So the Pi3+Moode is connected via USB cable with (without) jitter bug adapter to the Soekris.