Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

@zgtc

No change? Yes, these commands work in the background, but when executing each one, you should have seen a window refresh and a temporary green notification box pop up in the upper-right hand corner of the windows. See the screen capture I've attached.

Regards,
Kent

What I mean by "no change" is no matter what I try to set (on or off) the switches will remain as off. Always. I don't know if in the background the changes are triggered, but the UI is not updated.

Hi,

If you don't see the notification messages mentioned in @ TheOldPresbyope's post then there is some breakage.

The three items below on System config are maintenance tasks and they don't have a persistent state so YES then SET runs the task and then the slider reverts to blank. These would probably be better implemented with a simple RUN button instead of the slider + SET button.

Clear system logs
Clear playback history
Compact Sqlite database

-Tim

What I mean by "no change" is no matter what I try to set (on or off) the switches will remain as off. Always. I don't know if in the background the changes are triggered, but the UI is not updated.

@zgtc

As for the switch settings, the switch changes visually (indicator moves to right and label changes from blank to "yes") when you click on it. Then, when you click on "set", you are submitting the command to the moOde engine in the background. The switch label changes back. This is normal. The UI should also give the notification as I described. Off the top of my head, I'm not sure why you're not seeing it.

Try this: ssh into your moOde Player (using the nifty built-in moOde SSH term server or some other computer's ssh client) and do the following
Code:
pi@moode:~ $ ls -l /var/log
total 44
-rw-r--r-- 1 root     root        0 Dec 14 12:46 alternatives.log
drwxr-xr-x 2 root     root     4096 Dec 14 04:17 apt
-rw-r----- 1 root     adm      1584 Dec 14 12:46 auth.log
-rw-r--r-- 1 root     root     4756 Dec 14 12:37 boot.log
-rw-r--r-- 1 root     root        0 Dec 14 12:46 bootstrap.log
-rw------- 1 root     utmp      768 Dec 14 03:48 btmp
-rw-r----- 1 root     adm         0 Dec 14 12:46 daemon.log
-rw-r----- 1 root     adm         0 Dec 14 12:46 debug
-rw-r--r-- 1 root     root        0 Dec 14 12:46 dpkg.log
-rw-r--r-- 1 root     root        0 Dec 14 12:46 faillog
-rw-r--r-- 1 root     root     1347 Dec 14 04:20 fontconfig.log
-rw-r----- 1 root     adm         0 Dec 14 12:46 kern.log
-rw-rw-r-- 1 root     utmp        0 Dec 14 12:46 lastlog
-rw-r----- 1 root     adm         0 Dec 14 12:46 messages
-rw-r--r-- 1 minidlna minidlna    0 Dec 14 12:46 minidlna.log
-rw-rw-rw- 1 root     root     2044 Dec 14 12:46 moode.log
drwxr-xr-x 2 mpd      audio    4096 Dec 14 03:49 mpd
drwxr-xr-x 2 root     adm      4096 Dec 14 03:42 nginx
-rw------- 1 root     root        0 Dec 14 12:46 php7.0-fpm.log
-rw-rw-rw- 1 root     root        0 Dec 14 12:46 php_errors.log
-rw-r--r-- 1 root     root        0 Dec 14 12:46 regen_ssh_keys.log
drwxr-x--- 3 root     adm      4096 Dec 14 03:44 samba
-rw-r----- 1 root     adm         0 Dec 14 12:46 syslog
drwxr-xr-x 2 root     root     4096 May 25  2017 sysstat
-rw-r----- 1 root     adm         0 Dec 14 12:46 user.log
-rw-rw-r-- 1 root     utmp        0 Dec 14 12:46 wtmp

This on a moOde Player where I have just cleared the system logs. The size of the log files is listed in the fourth column. To compare, on a freshly booted moOde Player I see a number of very large files, notably kern.log, lastlog, messages, syslog.

Kent

Thanks Tim and Koda59 for their replies, the reason I didn't give Koda59 any log files is because the logs didn't exist because my build process was screwed up never properly starting due to a duff SCCard.

Well after discarding my 8GB sdcard and using another 32GB I had spare, this seems to have been the root of my issues with trying to build the image correctly.

I used HeBoo's tweaked mosbuild script on his posting #11930, so I could just use the single SDcard and not rely on the two. I made sure that the resize command was removed in the cmdline.txt file on the root of the rasbian lite install via Etcher.io on my Mac, and added the blank shh file to enable ssh on booting the Pi3 and then as HeBoo quite rightly states - Et voilà !

Monitoring the build via my Mac on Terminal via ssh was most gratifying and I have to say I'm amazed at the complexity of the elements being compiled all credit to Tim here - fantastic. I said yes to installing all the extra bits so my build took about an hour which I thought was a bit strange.

I rebooted the Pi3 again to be sure but now I am having an issue connecting to my NAS share on my VUSolo2 enigma2 linux satellite box which has all my HD Music. The NAS share works on Moode build 3.7 and 3.8.4 but no matter what I try it isn't playing ball on Beta12. Is there a command to check things via my Mac using ssh? I have made sure I have the 'exports' file in my etc directory on my VUSolo2 with the share details: "/media/hdd/Music/HDMusic 192.168.0.XX/24(rw,no_root_squash,sync,no_subtree_check)"

Thanks again guys for all the help:)

Hi,

Very odd. To troubleshoot try the following:

1. In NAS Source screen, Remove the NAS config
2. In System config screen , turn on Debug logging
3. In NAS Source screen, Create the NAS config again and save it

Look in moode log for the actual mount string and then try it manually to capture any errors that are printed.

cat /var/log/moode.log

Don't forget to turn off debug logging.

-Tim

Hi everybody

When I play FLAC Files, I get a wierd buzzing noise underneath the music. The noise i not as loud as the music, but clearly audible, and ruins the listening experience.

• If I play the same track in mp3 (ripped from the same CD), there is no noise at all.
  • When I play the same FLAC file in windows with foobar2000, I have no noise.
  • I seem to have the same noise, when using airplay, but to a much lesser degree.
  • I have this problem with all my FLAC files.
This is my Audio info:

Audio information

Input Processing
Source: NAS/Classical1/Carl Nielsen/Symphonies Nos. 1 & 6 [Blomstedt]/02 Carl Nielsen - Symphony No. 1 in G minor, FS 16 (Op. 7); II. Andante.flac
Encoded at: 16 bit, 44.1 kHz, Stereo
Decoded to: 16 bit, 44.1 kHz, Stereo
Rate: 603 kbps
DSP Operations
Resampling: off
Chip options: none
Volume: Software (MPD 32 bit float with dither)
Output Stream

Format: 16 bit, 44.1 kHz, Stereo
Rate: 1.411 mbps
Audio Device

Device: Audiophonics ES9023 DAC
Chip: ESS Sabre ES9023
Architecture: Sigma/Delta 24 bit 192 kHz
Interface: I2S
CPU: armv7l, 900 MHz, 2%, 33°

Does anybody have any idea, what might be causing this?:confused::confused:

Hi Max,

Try setting the bit depth to 24 bit by opening MPD config screen and settings SoX resampling to 24 bit / *kHz.

Let me know if this works.

-Tim

The three items below on System config are maintenance tasks and they don't have a persistent state so YES then SET runs the task and then the slider reverts to blank. These would probably be better implemented with a simple RUN button instead of the slider + SET button.

-Tim

OK then it was my misunderstanding. I agree switch is not the best UI component for this case, a one-action button would fit much better IMHO. Thank you

Too complicated for me, I decided to give up installing version 4.0. I have to find a way to connect a screen via HDMI, and then try to enable ssh, to perform image builder ... There are bound to be many obstacles along the way.

volumio can install the image file directly.

So, Bye Moode Audio player

@cyrilliu

Of course, you are free to choose whatever player you are comfortable with. They each have their own support groups; most are represented on other diyaudio forum threads.

Perhaps, though, if you would tell us more about the equipment you are working with we could talk you through the process of building moOde.

The image builder is designed to be run "headless", that is, without a screen, keyboard, or mouse connected to the RPi on which it is running.

The first question which comes to my mind is, what is the computer and OS (and what version of the OS exactly) on which you "burn" a bootable image file to an SD card?

Regards,
Kent

Hi,

This is on TODO list, also "turn off display if shutdown".

I only have a gen 1 display so no way to test brightness capability but what brightness setting are u using on your gen 2?

-Tim

@Tim,

thanks for the reply. It's nice to read that brightness control via UI is on your list :D.

Currently, I am running MoOde headless on my backup Pi2, since I don't want to change my running system with the Official TouchScreen on my Pi3.
But as soon as I get some minor problems fixed, I will migrate the running sytem from Pi2 to Pi3.

In case you need a volunteer for testing things with my TouchScreen, you got me hooked :smash:.

So long
Det :)

Hi all,

I really need the Access Point to share the internet connection via the eth0 interface..
Let me just say that my hardware is capable of doing so, and it is working with my Runeaudio configuration.

Now I come to try Moode, I got a to post by learntofly which give the commands of achieving this, but it doesn't seem to work.
The "moode" AP ssid doesn't even show.

Did anyone using this configuration and can share his commands

Many thanks :)

I'm using a pre-compiled version of 4b12 uploaded by Linh.

Hi,

moOde will not start AP mode if an Ethernet connection is present due the countless support issues created by having these two Network interfaces active at the same time. Thus a NAT configuration where Internet in Ethernet interface is available to clients connected via AP mode, is not possible with moOde.

What is your usage scenario for this configuration?

-Tim

Hi Max,

Try setting the bit depth to 24 bit by opening MPD config screen and settings SoX resampling to 24 bit / *kHz.

Let me know if this works.

-Tim

Hi Tim

That worked perfectly it seems. It even seemed to help on Radio Swizz Classic. Only noise left is when I use airplay with airaudio, and that is very marginal. Thankyou so much:):):).

Do you have any idea what the issue was, and what produces the noise?

Hi Tim

All the log states is:

20171214 135011 wrk_sourcemount(): mountstr=(mount -t nfs -o ro,nolock "192.168.0.XX:/media/hdd/Music/HDMusic" "/mnt/NAS/VUSOLO2")
20171214 135011 wrk_sourcemount(): sysoutput=(mount.nfs: mount point /mnt/NAS/VUSOLO2 does not exist)
20171214 135011 wrk_sourcemount(): Mount error: (mount.nfs: mount point /mnt/NAS/VUSOLO2 does not exist)

Any ideas?

allo BOSS i2s issues

Set up moode beta 12 using automated image builder. Up and running, can access using Chrome browser on my Android. Set up nas source - success- I can see my tracks in library. Selected allo boss as i2s device. But I am not getting any sound.
(Checked volume levels)
Any guess what I am missing?

Regards
Goutham

I am new to the forum and new to moodeaudio. I was able to successfully install beta 12 on my Raspberry Pi 3 with allo BOSS i2s DAC, but like Gouthama, I get no sound. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Rantinray

Just create an empty ssh file on /boot to enable SSH ;)
Raspbian image have SSH disabled by default

Hello
Thanks for the solution, but now ask me the password, which is that of the PSK modem? or else I tried some but refused them.
login as: Cd / home / pi
Cd/home/pi@192.168.1.22's password:

Sorry if I could not answer you first.
Thanks for everything
Jon

Hi Tim

That worked perfectly it seems. It even seemed to help on Radio Swizz Classic. Only noise left is when I use airplay with airaudio, and that is very marginal. Thankyou so much:):):).

Do you have any idea what the issue was, and what produces the noise?

Hi Max,

The symptom suggests a bug in the MPD Software volume algorithm for 16 bit audio but I'm exactly sure. You can also try setting Airplay to 24 bit. The setting is in the Airplay config screen.

-Tim

Hi Tim

All the log states is:

20171214 135011 wrk_sourcemount(): mountstr=(mount -t nfs -o ro,nolock "192.168.0.XX:/media/hdd/Music/HDMusic" "/mnt/NAS/VUSOLO2")
20171214 135011 wrk_sourcemount(): sysoutput=(mount.nfs: mount point /mnt/NAS/VUSOLO2 does not exist)
20171214 135011 wrk_sourcemount(): Mount error: (mount.nfs: mount point /mnt/NAS/VUSOLO2 does not exist)

Any ideas?

Hi,

The log indicates the mount directory did not get created when the NAS config was saved. Thats very odd but I'll have a look at the code that does NFS mounts to see if there might be a bug, however I don't have an NFS to test against.

You could try verifying the permissions of dir structure

pi@moode:~ $ ls -l /mnt
total 12
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Dec 8 17:12 NAS
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Dec 8 17:12 SDCARD
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Dec 8 17:12 UPNP

-Tim

Hi,

Its a very recent feature and not present in old versions of moOde.

-Tim

Ahh, makes sence why I cant find it then. I'll be upgrading after christmas then.:):)

A few questions on that account:

• Does the new Moode version support RPi 2B?
  • Can I use the Imagebuilder on the existing Moode installation? and will it just wipe the old installation?
  • Does the new version support cromecast audio (and/or is planned for the future))?
  • Does the new version support streaming audio via bluetooth (mainly on android)(and/or is planned for the future))?

Hi Tim,
Please see the results

Connecting to 192.168.1.4 port 22, please wait...
login as:
pi@192.168.1.4's password:
Linux kernel 4.9.67-v7+ running on armv7l architecture
____ __
__ _ ___ / __ \___/ /__
/ ' \/ _ \/ /_/ / _ / -_)
/_/_/_/\___/\____/\_,_/\__/

moOde audio player
(C) 2014 Tim Curtis

The programs included with Moode are free software; the
exact distribution terms for each program are described
in the individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright.
Moode comes with absolutely no warranties expressed or
implied, or any other guarantees.

Last login: Wed Dec 13 01:54:51 2017 from 192.168.1.3

pi@moode:~ $ mpc outputs
Output 1 (ALSA default) is enabled
Output 2 (ALSA crossfeed) is enabled
Output 3 (ALSA parametric eq) is enabled
Output 4 (ALSA graphic eq) is enabled

pi@moode:~ $ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: BossDAC [BossDAC], device 0: Boss DAC HiFi pcm512x-hifi-0 []
Subdevices: 0/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
pi@moode:~ $

Hi,

I also have an Allo Boss DAC.
I've just tested it on a freshly built beta 12 and it works just fine.
Just comparing your output with mine, it may be that your Boss is running in slave mode? Under Configurations > Audio Config > Devices > Driver Options did you choose 'slave Disabled'?
I believe you should only choose 'slave Enabled' if you are using a Kali reclocker.

pi@moode:~ $ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: BossDAC [BossDAC], device 0: Boss DAC HiFi [Master] pcm512x-hifi-0 []
Subdevices: 0/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0