Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

from the rpi help

[QUOTE3. Enable SSH on a headless Raspberry Pi (add file to SD card on another machine)

For headless setup, SSH can be enabled by placing a file named ssh, without any extension, onto the boot partition of the SD card from another computer. When the Pi boots, it looks for the ssh file. If it is found, SSH is enabled and the file is deleted. The content of the file does not matter; it could contain text, or nothing at all.
If you have loaded Raspbian onto a blank SD card, you will have two partitions. The first one, which is the smaller one, is the boot partition. Place the file into this one.
][/QUOTE]

closed account
Joined 2007
Help!

I'm a macOS guy. I used Etcher and installed the Raspian image on a microSD card. I installed the microSD card into a Raspberry Pi3 and power it up. Now I'm trying to figure out how to ssh into it to run the Moode install script. How do I do this?

I've googled until I'm blue in the face!

After you have installed the raspbian image on a microSD card, you should see two volumes mounted on the desktop. One is called "boot". just create a file called "ssh" (with no extension) in it, and you are good to go.

Roberto

PS: This is actually pretty well documented in the raspbian documentation and elsewhere, and it should be googled quite easily. For instance search for "raspbian enable ssh headless."

Last edited:
closed account
Joined 2007
Ok, I did this, I opened the TextEdit application and created a file on the microSD on Boot called ssh. Now how do I ssh into the pi?

Have you checked that it has no extension? You may not see one because it is hidden. You can Get Info on the file and rename it (removing the extension) in that case.

So ssh in the pi try first the terminal command ssh -l pi moode.local
if moode.local is not resolved, then you need to
1) find the IP address NNN.NNN.NNN.NNN of the device on your network, and
2) from a terminal issue the command ssh -l pi NNN.NNN.NNN.NNN or and type the default password moodeaudio

Roberto

Ok, I used Finder and Get Info, ssh had an extension (.rtf) but I was able to removed that.

Stupid question: How could moode.local work when the only thing on this micro SD card is Raspbian???

So, at any rate, it did not resolve...Now, how do I find the IP address of the raspberry Pi3 using my mac?

closed account
Joined 2007
Ok, I used Finder and Get Info, ssh had an extension (.rtf) but I was able to removed that.

Stupid question: How could moode.local work when the only thing on this micro SD card is Raspbian???

Not a stupid question at all. I think you have to use raspberrypi.local and the password is raspberry.

So, at any rate, it did not resolve...Now, how do I find the IP address of the raspberry Pi3 using my mac?

Thanks Tim and koda59 for your tips in checking progress etc.
using Pi3/MacBook/8GB and 32GB micro SDcards.

I decided to start from scratch because I was getting weird errors on bootup (monitoring from TV HDMI connection) these were not consistent after reflashing my 8GB micorSD card using etcher app on my MacBook. i must have tried five or six times before I decided something was wrong with the file format.

I had more progress when I decided to use the Mac app 'SD Card Formatter' (also available free for PC) to format the card with Fat32 using 'overwrite format'. It takes a while but I believe using this instead of 'quick format' on a windows or Mac is better because after flashing rasbian lite I didn't get the same errors.

Getting my MacBook to ssh is fun also having to delete the 'known_hosts' file in users/my_name/.shh folder (hidden, so it needs to be shown using a 'shown hidden files' script first) Once all this is done the Pi3 can be connected to using ssh via Terminal on the Macbook (once empty ssh file is placed on root of flashed SDcard on MacBook in Finder) I tried using raspi-config on the Pi3 to enable ssh but that didn't work.

Following Tim's automatic install instructions I managed to get the image onto the second USB connected microSD card, the only strange thing being at the very last question 'do you want to save the image' and answering yes there was a string of numbers '/137/137/137' shown (could have been a different number).

On rebooting the Pi3 with the newly created SDcard I left it running for over an hour and a half - no dogs to take out just my wife wanting to go for some Christmas bits! I rebooted the Pi3 and could ssh to it but it still shows pi@localhost and on using the ls command all I get is the mosbuild folder with mosbuild and mosbuild.log inside. I think it hasn't worked again......
I can ssh to the Pi3 using pi@IP_adress using default raspberry p/w.

What could I be doing wrong guys?

@koda59 @TimCurtis

Trying the new build process, seems pretty cool, thank you for all the efforts in making this easy to end users.

One suggestion. Maybe it does not make sense, still haven't finished the build process, but: wouldn't it make sense to make the download of raspbian optional? We all have it in the main computer (used to burn the first card), so maybe this process should be possible by inserting a freshly burnt raspbian in the USB card?

Thank you

Wait for all process phases post boot ... the RPI will reboot 8 times and it takes around 30-40 m on RPI3.

You can monitor the process :

tail -f /home/pi/mosbuild.log

OK finished building the OS. Inserted the card, logged in (pwd has changed from raspberry to moodeaudio), but I cannot access the player:

Code:
This site can’t be reached
moode.local refused to connect.

Any help?
Thank you again