Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

Hi,

There is a small in-place update for Beta 6 and 7 that upgrades to BETA 8 :) This update is cumulative and contains the contents of the previous update plus some additional files that make use of the new DoP setting in MPD.

It MUST be run from cmd line AND on an un-squashed /var/www !! The browser title will revert to "moOde Player" after the update. Use System config to change it, then APPLY MPD settings to get the new DoP param.

-Tim

Tim,

I have managed to install V4 Beta 7. After that I upgraded to Beta 8.

However the top RH corner of a browser window still shows "Beta 8". I have tried refreshing the window. I also tried it in another browser. No change.
When I goto SYSTEM CONFIG > GENERAL > BROWSER TITLE, it is configured for "moode Player". Have I mis-understood something?

Also, I noticed with both Beta 7 and Beta 8, that Auto Shuffle does not work - a feature I used all the time with V3.

Here is the relevant System Information ...

Date and time = 2017-11-07 12:44:31
System uptime = up 1 hour, 2 minutes
Timezone = Australia/Adelaide
moOde = Release 4.0, 2017-MM-DD

Host name = moode
ETH0 IP = 10.1.1.30
ETH0 MAC = b8:27:eb:92:6f:52
WLAN0 IP = unassigned
WLAN0 MAC = no adapter

HDWR REV = Pi-2B 1GB v1.1
SoC = BCM2835
CORES = 4
ARCH = armv7l
KERNEL = 4.9.60-v7+
KTIMER FREQ = 100 Hz
USB BOOT = not available
Warranty = OK

ROOT size = 2.9G
ROOT used = 57%
ROOT avail = 1.2G
FS expand = not expanded
MEM free = 687 MB
MEM used = 55 MB
Temperature = 40.1°C

A U D I O P A R A M E T E R S

Audio device = IQaudIO Pi-DAC PRO
Interface = I2S
Hdwr volume = 0
Mixer name = Digital
Output stream = Closed
ALSA version = 1.1.3-5+rpi3
SoX version = 0.1.2-2

Volume knob = 9
Volume mute = Off
Volume limit = 100

Bluetooth controller = Off
Airplay receiver = Off
Squeezelite = Off
UPnP renderer = Off
DLNA server = Off

Rotary encoder = Off
Encoder params = 100 2 3 4 5
Crossfeed = Off
Parametric EQ = Off
Graphic EQ = Off
Auto-shuffle = On
Autoplay = Off
MPD crossfade = Off

Can you help please?

Rob

Tim,

I have managed to install V4 Beta 7. After that I upgraded to Beta 8.

However the top RH corner of a browser window still shows "Beta 8". I have tried refreshing the window. I also tried it in another browser. No change.
When I goto SYSTEM CONFIG > GENERAL > BROWSER TITLE, it is configured for "moode Player". Have I mis-understood something?

Also, I noticed with both Beta 7 and Beta 8, that Auto Shuffle does not work - a feature I used all the time with V3.

Here is the relevant System Information ...

Date and time = 2017-11-07 12:44:31
System uptime = up 1 hour, 2 minutes
Timezone = Australia/Adelaide
moOde = Release 4.0, 2017-MM-DD

Host name = moode
ETH0 IP = 10.1.1.30
ETH0 MAC = b8:27:eb:92:6f:52
WLAN0 IP = unassigned
WLAN0 MAC = no adapter

HDWR REV = Pi-2B 1GB v1.1
SoC = BCM2835
CORES = 4
ARCH = armv7l
KERNEL = 4.9.60-v7+
KTIMER FREQ = 100 Hz
USB BOOT = not available
Warranty = OK

ROOT size = 2.9G
ROOT used = 57%
ROOT avail = 1.2G
FS expand = not expanded
MEM free = 687 MB
MEM used = 55 MB
Temperature = 40.1°C

A U D I O P A R A M E T E R S

Audio device = IQaudIO Pi-DAC PRO
Interface = I2S
Hdwr volume = 0
Mixer name = Digital
Output stream = Closed
ALSA version = 1.1.3-5+rpi3
SoX version = 0.1.2-2

Volume knob = 9
Volume mute = Off
Volume limit = 100

Bluetooth controller = Off
Airplay receiver = Off
Squeezelite = Off
UPnP renderer = Off
DLNA server = Off

Rotary encoder = Off
Encoder params = 100 2 3 4 5
Crossfeed = Off
Parametric EQ = Off
Graphic EQ = Off
Auto-shuffle = On
Autoplay = Off
MPD crossfade = Off

Can you help please?

Rob

Hi Rob,

The update resets the Browser title to "moOde Player" and yes, the upper RH should read Beta8. Just use System config to change Browser title if you desire.

Just tried Auto-shuffle and no issues. It requires two steps (1) turn it on in Audio config and (2) Press the Random Play button on the Playback panel. The Consume button should automatically light up.

After pressing Random play button, you can verify that the task is running using the cmd below.

pgrep ashuffle

-Tim

Tim,

In SYSTEM CONFIG, the Browser Title is already set to "moode Player", but does not display - instead it displays "Beta 8" ??

In AUDIO CONFIG I re-applied the AUTO-SHUFFLE setting, then restarted MPD.
The Random Play button on the Playback panel and the Consume button are both lit up.

When I run "pgrep ashuffle", it completes but returns no result.
And the feature is still not working.

Rob

Hi @Mars67,

I just ran through the procedure and no issues. See below.

Starting with squashed

pi@rp3:~ $ ls -l /var/local
total 10992
-rw-r--r-- 1 root staff 11251712 Nov 6 15:47 moode.sqsh
drwxr-xr-x 8 root staff 4096 Nov 6 12:28 www

Then running through the un-squash procedure

pi@rp3:~ $ sudo killall -s 9 watchdog.sh
pi@rp3:~ $ sudo systemctl stop nginx
pi@rp3:~ $ sudo systemctl stop php7.0-fpm
pi@rp3:~ $ sudo umount /var/www
pi@rp3:~ $
pi@rp3:~ $ sudo rmdir /var/www
pi@rp3:~ $ sudo unsquashfs -d /var/www /var/local/moode.sqsh
Parallel unsquashfs: Using 4 processors
667 inodes (686 blocks) to write

[=============================================================================================================================================================================-] 686/686 100%

created 666 files
created 34 directories
created 1 symlinks
created 0 devices
created 0 fifos
pi@rp3:~ $ sync
pi@rp3:~ $
pi@rp3:~ $ sudo sed -i /moode.sqsh/d /etc/fstab
pi@rp3:~ $ sudo rm /var/local/moode.sqsh

-Tim

Thanks Tim. I will do the process again tonight and check.

Hi Tim, Hi everyone,

Discover your system building a portable wifi sound box. The interface looks very nice, and my DAC, a X400 is listed on the devices.
I download the build recipe, raspbian and start the work on my pi3 b. Everything went fine until the step 9 : went to the end of the step, reboot the raspberry, then nothing...ssh off / plug on a screen, after few seconds of texts, no signal on the screen. Plug the raspberry to an ethernet cable : nothing on my router also.

I restart the procedure from the beginning, it stop working at the exact same step. First test was using the Beta 8 and second I used the Beta 7 as described in the procedure.

In config.txt, I do have the following text :
disable_splash=1
hdmi_drive=2
dtparam=i2c_arm=on
dtparam=i2s=on
dtparam=audio=on
#dtoverlay=pi3-disable-wifi
#dtoverlay=pi3-disable-bt
wpa_supplicant.conf is no longer available.

I guess I will need help your help on this one

Hi, Tim.

Finally getting around to playing with the renderers

r40b8 updated from an r40b7 build:

When I SET the name of any Renderer (Airplay, UPnP, DLNA), moOde responds with a "!Please fill out this field" popup pointing to the Bluetooth speaker name field.

It's not inconceivable that I have cocked up my install while futzing around. I'll test a freshly built r40b8 in a while.

Regards,
Kent

Hi, Tim.

When I SET the name of any Renderer (Airplay, UPnP, DLNA), moOde responds with a "!Please fill out this field" popup pointing to the Bluetooth speaker name field.

It's not inconceivable that I have cocked up my install while futzing around. I'll test a freshly built r40b8 in a while.

Regards,
Kent

Hang loose. I'll have a look.

Edit to add:
- No issues on my end.
- Verify that file /etc/machine-info exists. It contains the BT friendly name
- Check the SQL table for matching name
sqlite3 /var/local/www/db/moode-sqlite3.db "select value from cfg_system where param='btname'"

-Tim

Last edited:
Hi, Tim.

Regards,
Kent

I had that, and I think a reboot fixed it. Or maybe it was fixed after clobbering my moode sqlite database with the default and reconfiguring.

It is working fine for me on Beta 8 with the correct names being populated.

Cheers,

Phil

Hi Tim - just updated to r4b8 from r4b7 - all gone well and sounding good - thanks! None of the problems referred to above (e.g. renderers all populated with correct names etc - but only tried bluetooth so far - it works but I get a few dropouts - maybe the pi0w integrated bluetooth is a bit iffy like the integrated wifi is for me)

One oddity is the bit rate display on all the BBC 320k radio stations shows 2.304mbps for all of them - but there has always been a problem showing the correct rate which maybe a BBC transmitted problem rather than MoOde. However, on 3.8.4 it showed around 320kbps (maybe 310 one day and 344 the next....)

Incidentally, I'm now running unsquashed (in case another update comes along.....) - what are the benefits of running squashed? Thanks again, Adrian

Hi Tim - just updated to r4b8 from r4b7 - all gone well and sounding good - thanks! None of the problems referred to above (e.g. renderers all populated with correct names etc - but only tried bluetooth so far - it works but I get a few dropouts - maybe the pi0w integrated bluetooth is a bit iffy like the integrated wifi is for me)

One oddity is the bit rate display on all the BBC 320k radio stations shows 2.304mbps for all of them - but there has always been a problem showing the correct rate which maybe a BBC transmitted problem rather than MoOde. However, on 3.8.4 it showed around 320kbps (maybe 310 one day and 344 the next....)

Incidentally, I'm now running unsquashed (in case another update comes along.....) - what are the benefits of running squashed? Thanks again, Adrian

Hi,

Squash has several benefits.

1. It provides a performance bump for reading anything out of /var/www
2. It provides reliability by virtue of being r/o. Files in /var/www can't be altered which maintains the integrity of the code.
3. It provides a very reliable way to provide in-place updates that ensures that all the correct files are part of the update. A single moode.sqsh file is distributed instead of a collection of multiple files.

Streaming bitrate

MPD takes a snapshot of stream rate upon initial connection and it's not always accurate. If you refresh the page, another snapshot is taken and the stream rate should change to something close to the actual rate.

-Tim

Hi,
Streaming bitrate
MPD takes a snapshot of stream rate upon initial connection and it's not always accurate. If you refresh the page, another snapshot is taken and the stream rate should change to something close to the actual rate.
-Tim

Yes - thats what used to happen with 3.8.4 and earlier - but on this install of 4b8 it stays at 2.304 mbps no matter how many times it is refreshed - and it shows 2.304 mbps for all the other BBC high res stations as well. No big deal but just a bit odd and different to earlier iterations of MoOde. Adrian