Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

Lirc ?

Question for the Beta testers..... anyone managed to get Lirc and i/r remote working ?

The new version of Lirc that ships with Stretch appears to have changed so much the configuration and settings that worked previously work no longer...:(

I have managed to test remotes with mode2 -d /dev/lirc0 and get output and have a config for the remote but irw and irexec do nothing.

Seems drivers and file locations have changed.

If you've managed to setup lirc I would be interested in the steps for Stretch.
Thanks.

Hi, Tim,

I am experiencing a weird problem, I just updated to the latest version of Moode and since my DAC doesn't support DSD I'm using the DSD to PCM conversion. Whenever I play a DSD file it sounds like it's sped up, like a 33 record on the 45 setting. I've tried several DSD files, all DSD64 and they all do the same thing, it never did this with 3.6. I am using the advanced real-time kernel. Thanks for any help you can provide.
Hi,

To troubleshoot, start by installing the Standard Linux kernel and then re-testing.

What DAC are u using?

-Tim

I reinstalled the standard kernel and no change, it is still playing fast. I am using the HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro.

Last edited:
As far as I know I am shutting it off correctly (same command for menu as you can use to reboot as the second option). I did this with Mooie 3.8.3 and before without any booting problems the next time I booted.

I also know it is drawing less Watt if not used, but sometimes I don't use it for two weeks, so...

Don't know what to tell you - the symptoms don't match anything I've ever seen.

You shut it down, power it off, then when you power it back on, nothing happens until you power it off and back on again - is that the correct process?

Hi,
I want to use Moode with an external USB drive as a standalone player. First tests with the USB powered Maxtor M3 (1TB) are a success.

I've found that copying files from my Mac to the USB storage using the network share is terribly slow (USB 2 + wifi does not look like best combination for this).
Is anybody else using a similar setup?

Do you use a different method -like ftp or scp- to copy files to the USB storage?
I'm considering the option to move the USB drive between my Mac and the Raspi to update files locally. So far it looks like I'd need to install siftware for Apple file system, exFAT or NTFS-write to the Raspi.
What was your choice?

Martí

So many things can cause this - mostly in the areas of your home wifi hardware.

ssh into your Pi and issue the following: iw dev wlan0 station dump

Mine returns (on a Pi3 connected to a Linksys E4200 running 802.11an):

Code:
pi@moode:~ $ iw dev wlan0 station dump
Station c8:b3:73:5d:39:71 (on wlan0)
        inactive time:  0 ms
        rx bytes:       3177060702
        rx packets:     5404155
        tx bytes:       59441474
        tx packets:     497147
        tx failed:      2
        signal:         -50 [-50] dBm
        [B]tx bitrate:     72.2 MBit/s
        rx bitrate:     65.0 MBit/s[/B]
        authorized:     yes
        authenticated:  yes
        WMM/WME:        yes
        TDLS peer:      yes

If you are sending a few hundred megabytes of data over a wireless link to your Pi, as well as whatever the highest rate the Pi connects at, you have to factor in every other wireless device on your network that could be taking away from your theoretical maximum, as well as the losses incurred with turning the wireless signal around from send to receive and back again.

I use a 2.4GHz/5GHz router and only connect the Mac at 5GHz, thus avoiding the need to turn the wireless around - 2.4/5GHz use different antenna and transceiver chips, so they can both work flat out at the maximum packet size for both with minimal interruption.

But, the best I could hope for would be 65Mb/s (megabit/s, effectively ~6MB/s)

Have a look at the iw command - it is possible, if you have good hardware, to push up the rate, but I've never bothered - if I have a lot of data to move, sneakernet is the best way (physically move the drive between boxes).

Last edited:
Don't know what to tell you - the symptoms don't match anything I've ever seen.

You shut it down, power it off, then when you power it back on, nothing happens until you power it off and back on again - is that the correct process?

1) shut it down by menu
2) take out the power plug (after several minutes)
3) next time I want to listen I plug in the power plug
4) it boots
5) I want to connect to the RPI (using a browser)
6) it fails
7) take out the power plug (because I couldn't shutdown it by menu)
8) plug in the power plug, it boots and I can connect again

Is there a way I can see the RPI had shutdown correctly the last time after shutting it by menu? Can I see it in log files or else?

I have seen it got an IP number but connecting to the RPI by browser it failed.

Next time I am going to try to connect to the RPI using SSH.

Hi ALL!

How to see the contents of the Tidal catalog. And manage the music. Password and name in the upmpdcli configuration is available. In the network environment, moodeaudio-mediaserver is available

Are you using Beta4?

If you are using 3.8.4 and you haven't updated upmpdcli to 1.2.15 then it will not work.

IF you have updated or are using Beta4 then you use a UPNP control point such as Bubble DS , BubbleUPNP or Kazoo on Android or Lumin or Kazoo on IOS.

Select the library moodeaudio-mediaserver and browse it to Tidal, if you only have Tidal you should just get 5 Folders

My Music
Featured Playlists
Whats New
Genres
Moods

NB This is only really for playing , the Tidal app is required for purchasing and adding items to favourites.

1) shut it down by menu
2) take out the power plug (after several minutes)
3) next time I want to listen I plug in the power plug
4) it boots
5) I want to connect to the RPI (using a browser)
6) it fails
7) take out the power plug (because I couldn't shutdown it by menu)
8) plug in the power plug, it boots and I can connect again

Is there a way I can see the RPI had shutdown correctly the last time after shutting it by menu? Can I see it in log files or else?

I have seen it got an IP number but connecting to the RPI by browser it failed.

Next time I am going to try to connect to the RPI using SSH.

Just thought to let you know that I have had this behaviour in the past, I found that a good cursing whilst re-plugging often made me feel better :)

It might be a browser cache thing (if that's not been mentioned before).

groetjes

ronnie

Hi,

Odd aspect ratio 1024 x 600 = 16 x 9.375 :-0

You could look at /var/local/www/cssw/panels.css and play with the settings for coverart image.

-Tim

Hi Tim,

It is odd, but that's the spec:

BlackBerry Playbook - Full tablet specifications

Anyway, I edited the panels.css file to specify the width and the height as 450px and everything looks great now on the Playbook screen.

Many thanks for your help.

Running 3.8.4 with Pi3B Piano 2.1 with Kali.Having trouble with DSD files. Below are the MPD config. Music is very faint but there is a prominent " swishing" sound.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. BTW on a second system 3.8.4 Pi3B and HifiBerry Dac + DSD play just fine.

M P D S E T T I N G S

Version = 0.20.10
Volume control = software
ALSA device = hw:0
SoX resampling = disabled
SoX quality = very high
SoX multithreading = off
Audio buffer (kb) = 4096
Buffer before play = 10%
Output buffer size (kb) = 81920
Volume normalization = no
DSD over PCM (DoP) = yes
Replay gain = off

Question for the Beta testers..... anyone managed to get Lirc and i/r remote working ?

The new version of Lirc that ships with Stretch appears to have changed so much the configuration and settings that worked previously work no longer...:(

I have managed to test remotes with mode2 -d /dev/lirc0 and get output and have a config for the remote but irw and irexec do nothing.

Seems drivers and file locations have changed.

If you've managed to setup lirc I would be interested in the steps for Stretch.
Thanks.

Ok, after some experimentation and some hints via...

anavi-docs/anavi-infrared-phat.md at master * AnaviTechnology/anavi-docs * GitHub

I now have Lirc working...:D

I will post a how to once I've cleaned it up a bit.

So for MoOde Beta /testing peripherals/ I can confirm that both Lirc and LCd displays work.

Just thought to let you know that I have had this behaviour in the past, I found that a good cursing whilst re-plugging often made me feel better :)

It might be a browser cache thing (if that's not been mentioned before).

groetjes

ronnie

Don't know if cursing will help, maybe tickling the RPI will do :smash:

But don't think it's a cache thing (other browsers had the same issue)

I stay curious if there's a way I can find out using the logfiles whether the RPI hasn't shutdown correctly or if it's network related??

Running 3.8.4 with Pi3B Piano 2.1 with Kali.Having trouble with DSD files. Below are the MPD config. Music is very faint but there is a prominent " swishing" sound.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. BTW on a second system 3.8.4 Pi3B and HifiBerry Dac + DSD play just fine.

M P D S E T T I N G S

Version = 0.20.10
Volume control = software
ALSA device = hw:0
SoX resampling = disabled
SoX quality = very high
SoX multithreading = off
Audio buffer (kb) = 4096
Buffer before play = 10%
Output buffer size (kb) = 81920
Volume normalization = no
DSD over PCM (DoP) = yes
Replay gain = off

Hi,

The Piano 2.1 does not support DoP protocol. Set "DSD over PCM (DoP)" to no and you should be all set.

-Tim

Hi, just a quickie to flag up that I can't get AirPlay to work on version 3.8.4. I can see Moode Audio on my iPad, but for some reason I can't produce any sound. This is by no means a big deal. By the looks of it there was similar issue earlier in the year.

Nope, airplay has been rock-solid since forever.

It always helps to give as much info as possible when looking for help:

Pi type
DAC
Connection type
Basic settings for dac and audio, especially in the area you're having a problem
Any special circumstances that may contribute

As it stands, you've told us you can't get airplay to work, but you can see airplay is functioning and you mistakenly thought there was a problem with airplay in the past.

Not much to go on...