Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

Is it possible to copy audio files to the sdcard? Im using an usb stick atm and would like to play music directly from the sdcard. The sdcard currently holds the moode image.

Yes I have done this a few times
What I'd recommend first is go into the System Configuration and 'Expand SD Card Storage' if you haven't already
I can simple copy files over using the file manager in Manjaro Linux...
Not sure how successful this will be with the likes of Windows but I'd also recommend all users of this disgracefully bloated OS to migrate to something else as well :p

Is it possible to copy audio files to the sdcard? Im using an usb stick atm and would like to play music directly from the sdcard. The sdcard currently holds the moode image.

Hi,

Plug SD Card into a Linux system and copy the files to the root partition or use the SD card Samba share.

Mac: Use Finder to connect to the Sd Card share
- Go
- Connect to server...
- smb://moode/SDCARD

Win:
- use File Manager to map a local drive to the SD Card share
- z: --> \\moode\SDCARD

Nix:
- sudo mkdir /mnt/Music
- sudo mount -t cifs //moode/SDCARD /mnt/Music
- enter anything when prompted for password
- copy files to /mnt/Music
- sudo umount /mnt/Music
- sudo rmdir /mnt/Music

-Tim

Hello,

I have a problem with playing DSD files. I can play DSD64, DSD128, but it is decoded to PCM. I cannot play DSD256 – no sound.
My setup is Soekris DAM + Amanero + Rpi3.
I tried standard/advanced kernel, USB (UAC2) fix, DoP (Yes, No), etc.
I post some print screens.
Would you give me any advice?

ajo

Hi,

moOde supports either DoP or DSD to PCM on-the-fly conversion. The Standard kernel support up to DSD64. The Advanced kernels support up to DSD128.

Native bitstream DSD is not supported in this release of MoOde. This capability requires a newer version of ALSA and AFAIK, a non-mainline version of MPD.

-Tim

Hi,

moOde supports either DoP or DSD to PCM on-the-fly conversion. The Standard kernel support up to DSD64. The Advanced kernels support up to DSD128.

Native bitstream DSD is not supported in this release of MoOde. This capability requires a newer version of ALSA and AFAIK, a non-mainline version of MPD.

-Tim

Hi,

Thank you for quick answer.
Does any version of moode support native DSD?
If not, should I use DoP on Yes or No option in my case? Is the result the same in both option?
Is there any way to play DSD256?

ajo

Hello :)

Tim, thank you for this awesome software. I switched from Volumio to Moode Audio and i totally love it! Today i finished my DIY Soekris DAC and of course i use Moode Audio :D

The only thing i can't get to work is the metadata-Option for the airplay server. I turned it on and off and also restarted the airplay server but it doesn't work.

I've tried an old SD-Card with Volumio and with this it works very well. So it could be no problem with my mac or the Quboz App.

Thanks and many greetings :)
Dominik

P.S. Does anybody know how i can turnoff the scrollbars at the chromium kiosk mode?

Attachments

• IMG_4186.JPG
    IMG_4186.JPG
    141.1 KB · Views: 384
  • IMG_4187.JPG
    IMG_4187.JPG
    168.8 KB · Views: 358
Hello :)

Tim, thank you for this awesome software. I switched from Volumio to Moode Audio and i totally love it! Today i finished my DIY Soekris DAC and of course i use Moode Audio :D

The only thing i can't get to work is the metadata-Option for the airplay server. I turned it on and off and also restarted the airplay server but it doesn't work.

I've tried an old SD-Card with Volumio and with this it works very well. So it could be no problem with my mac or the Quboz App.

Thanks and many greetings :)

Dominik

P.S. Does anybody know how i can turnoff the scrollbars at the chromium kiosk mode?

I made them effectively disappear by adding the Minimal Scrollbar extension to Chromium. I also made the screen fit better by setting a permanent custom zoom to shrink it to fit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Hi,

Thank you for quick answer.
Does any version of moode support native DSD?
If not, should I use DoP on Yes or No option in my case? Is the result the same in both option?
Is there any way to play DSD256?

ajo

Hi,

Native DSD is not possible in any release of moOde up to and including the current 3.7 release.

Use DoP if your DAC supports it otherwise conversion to PCM.

DSD256 not possible in moOde.

-Tim

Joined 2016
Paid Member
Yes I have done this a few times
What I'd recommend first is go into the System Configuration and 'Expand SD Card Storage' if you haven't already
I can simple copy files over using the file manager in Manjaro Linux...
Not sure how successful this will be with the likes of Windows but I'd also recommend all users of this disgracefully bloated OS to migrate to something else as well :p

I'm trying to install ubuntu on my system. I did expand the sd card but I get no drive letter, so I'm stuck there... And also no way on earth with windows to transfer to ext4 and its time to try a linux system.

Only the public beta 0.4 (Rune) works with Digi+pro though very unstable in combination with Shairplay...

Good to know, also no time/knowladge to participate in beta programs.

You can ssh into moode and copy files from windows. It takes some extra steps, but it works.

Install Bash for Ububtu for Windows and then you have access to both file systems.

Copying large amount unts of data is really long with this procedure.

You could try installing a virtual Ubuntu in Windows, depending on your computer characteristics, but most mothers computers allow this without problems.

It's a first step before fully committing to Linux.

I'm trying to install ubuntu on my system. I did expand the sd card but I get no drive letter, so I'm stuck there... And also no way on earth with windows to transfer to ext4 and its time to try a linux system.

@dabore84

If you have your music on some other computer, then Tim's suggestion to use the SAMBA share capability is probably the path of least resistance. From that computer, follow Tim's steps for its operating system to mount the MoOde Player share, and copy files to it.

I infer from your reference to windows that you're running some version of Windows on your regular computer. If you download the third-party WinSCP program, you can drag-n-drop files from the Windows host to your MoOde Player. There may be some fiddling with permissions to get them into the right directory (I'm away from my MoOde Player so can't check at the moment). Rafa mentions "you can ssh into moode..." but of course Windows does not offer ssh natively. There is limited ssh capability in WinSCP but full capability in the third-party program PuTTY.exe (which plays well with WinSCP). These programs run in Windows XP/7/8/10.

If you already have music on your usb stick, you can ssh into your MoOde Player and, from the command line, use the Linux cp command to copy the music files from the usb stick to your sdcard.

As for installing Ubuntu, now you're getting serious! I personally run dual-boot systems which have Windows 10 and Linux Mint 18 installed side-by-side in separate partitions (I have my reasons; let's not start a flame war about Windows, please, this is the MoOde forum). Obviously, Ubuntu would work as well.

I have also run Windows 7 and 10 systems with various Linux distros installed as virtual systems within Oracle VirtualBox (like I said, I have my reasons). Just like a native Linux install, any of these virtual Linux systems allows direct manipulation of the two partitions on the MoOde Player sdcard, including file copying, once the VirtualBox Guest Extensions are installed.

I disagree that there is "no way on earth with windows to transfer to ext4". There is the Ext2fsd project which provides such capability on Windows XP/7/8 according to their homepage banner. Reading their blog entries, Windows 10 is apparently supported too. Rafa mentions BASH on Ubuntu on Windows. To the best of my knowledge, this is available only for Windows 10 and even then USB drives can be accessed only in Build 16176 or higher. I just installed the new Windows 10 Creators Update. It turns out to incorporate Build 15046 and can't access USB drives via BASH on Ubuntu on Windows. It does provide ssh and scp just like a native Linux system.

Sorry for being long-winded. It's in my nature!

Regards,
Kent

Last edited:
Joined 2016
Paid Member
You can ssh into moode and copy files from windows. It takes some extra steps, but it works.

It's a first step before fully committing to Linux.

Hi,

Plug SD Card into a Linux system and copy the files to the root partition or use the SD card Samba share.

Nix:
- sudo mkdir /mnt/Music
- sudo mount -t cifs //moode/SDCARD /mnt/Music
- enter anything when prompted for password
- copy files to /mnt/Music
- sudo umount /mnt/Music
- sudo rmdir /mnt/Music

-Tim

@dabore84

If you have your music on some other computer, then Tim's suggestion to use the SAMBA share capability is probably the path of least resistance. From that computer, follow Tim's steps for its operating system to mount the MoOde Player share, and copy files to it.

Sorry for being long-winded. It's in my nature!

Regards,
Kent

A picture says a thousand words. Looks like something from the movie Inception :hypno2:. Thank you all!

Attachments

• putty winscp ubuntu vm.jpg
    putty winscp ubuntu vm.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 396
Thank you that sounds great :)

Can you please help me how i can install extensions via ssh?

You do it from Chromium with a keyboard and mouse attached. Hit control T to get a new tab then go to your extensions in settings.

I have also added the virtual keyboard extension to get a keyboard that pops up if I need to enter text.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk