Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

Wow, I got a little behind in releases... I think i'm still at 2.5 something, need to catch up :D

This is huge news!
Does it erases the sd card e.g. losing custom files/settings, or it just overwrite moode's files?

e.g. people like me has lirc settings for infrared remotes, lastfm conf, transmission daemon settings etc
as long as it doesn't overwrite the whole sd card, it's fine!

Curious about the system used: repo, git or?

Just updated to 2.6.
expanded the sd card and changed some settings, like eth0 to static from UI... rebooted then it started to freeze. (settings weren't applied)
Checked php log:
Code:
[16-Jun-2016 12:50:04] NOTICE: configuration file /etc/php5/fpm/php-fpm.conf test is successful

[16-Jun-2016 12:50:06] NOTICE: fpm is running, pid 599
[16-Jun-2016 12:50:07] NOTICE: ready to handle connections
[16-Jun-2016 12:50:07] NOTICE: systemd monitor interval set to 10000ms
[16-Jun-2016 12:59:33] WARNING: [pool display] seems busy (you may need to increase pm.start_servers, or pm.min/max_spare_servers), spawning 8 children, there are 0 idle, and 12 total children
[16-Jun-2016 12:59:34] WARNING: [pool display] seems busy (you may need to increase pm.start_servers, or pm.min/max_spare_servers), spawning 16 children, there are 0 idle, and 13 total children
[16-Jun-2016 12:59:35] WARNING: [pool display] seems busy (you may need to increase pm.start_servers, or pm.min/max_spare_servers), spawning 32 children, there are 0 idle, and 14 total children
[16-Jun-2016 13:03:46] WARNING: [pool display] server reached pm.max_children setting (20), consider raising it
[16-Jun-2016 13:03:46] NOTICE: Terminating ...
[16-Jun-2016 13:03:46] NOTICE: exiting, bye-bye!
[16-Jun-2016 13:03:46] NOTICE: configuration file /etc/php5/fpm/php-fpm.conf test is successful

[16-Jun-2016 13:03:47] NOTICE: fpm is running, pid 1779
[16-Jun-2016 13:03:47] NOTICE: ready to handle connections
[16-Jun-2016 13:03:47] NOTICE: systemd monitor interval set to 10000ms
interface was freezed, only the playback screen was working. Not getting into config settings, just the browser favicon spinning forever.

Then after a few reboots from ssh, everything is fine and those errors never happened again.
___
also saw you used mpdas for scrobbling...
mpdas readme said:
Features:
- Sets now-playing status
- Scrobbling (obviously)
- Caching
- Config files
- User switching
- "Love" tracks on Last.fm
(e.g. with 'mpc sendmessage mpdas love' and
'mpc sendmessage mpdas unlove' to revert)

what about a love button in the front-end, since the backend it's already implemented?
maybe next to the song's title, to not mess with other playback buttons, or in the header?

yes, i tried "mpc sendmessage mpdas love/unlove" from cli and it works perfectly in last.fm :)

Hi,

Attached are some screen shots of a new in-place software updater that will be included in Moode 2.7. The updater can also be bootstrap loaded into Moode 2.6 using a bit of SSH.

This initial version provides a mechanism for updating Moode that can quickly deliver bug fixes and code updates thus eliminating the need to install new image. Future enhancements to the updater can provide migration of settings, sql and complex OS changes.

Regards,
Tim

Looks good to me, Tim!

As a matter of "less is more", is it possible to make the update installation conditional? E.g., if one checks for a software update and the date-time stamp of the available update package is the same as the last installed update package, then could the System Configuration screen report the system is up to date instead of offering to install the available update (as shown in the third screen capture)?

This isn't a showstopper issue, just a question of user interface. Either way, this incremental update process is a big step forward.

Regards,
Kent

Hi everybody,

Been using Moode for a couple of days only, but I'm a very happy user!
One thing is not clear to me though. I have an USB disk attached to the PI. It's a 500Gb disk that should be enough to hod (most of) my music. When I do "df -Bm" in a ssh session to the Pi it sees the disk with filesystem /dev/sda1 and mounted as /media/PiMuziek. Size available is about 470Gb. Music on the disk is seen in the library. So all is well there.
But when I connect to the disk using Samba on my Mac, it shows only 2.3Gb available, which is of course the free space on my SD card. This is more than just an aesthetic problem, because when I try to copy files larger than 2.3Gb to the disk, the Mac won't do it because there is not enough space on the target disk. From what I know about unix this has to to with the mountpoint of the shared disk, but attempts to change this resulted in a broken system only resolved by re-installing Moode from scratch.

Just updated to 2.6.
expanded the sd card and changed some settings, like eth0 to static from UI... rebooted then it started to freeze. (settings weren't applied)
Checked php log:
Code:
[16-Jun-2016 12:50:04] NOTICE: configuration file /etc/php5/fpm/php-fpm.conf test is successful

[16-Jun-2016 12:50:06] NOTICE: fpm is running, pid 599
[16-Jun-2016 12:50:07] NOTICE: ready to handle connections
[16-Jun-2016 12:50:07] NOTICE: systemd monitor interval set to 10000ms
[16-Jun-2016 12:59:33] WARNING: [pool display] seems busy (you may need to increase pm.start_servers, or pm.min/max_spare_servers), spawning 8 children, there are 0 idle, and 12 total children
[16-Jun-2016 12:59:34] WARNING: [pool display] seems busy (you may need to increase pm.start_servers, or pm.min/max_spare_servers), spawning 16 children, there are 0 idle, and 13 total children
[16-Jun-2016 12:59:35] WARNING: [pool display] seems busy (you may need to increase pm.start_servers, or pm.min/max_spare_servers), spawning 32 children, there are 0 idle, and 14 total children
[16-Jun-2016 13:03:46] WARNING: [pool display] server reached pm.max_children setting (20), consider raising it
[16-Jun-2016 13:03:46] NOTICE: Terminating ...
[16-Jun-2016 13:03:46] NOTICE: exiting, bye-bye!
[16-Jun-2016 13:03:46] NOTICE: configuration file /etc/php5/fpm/php-fpm.conf test is successful

[16-Jun-2016 13:03:47] NOTICE: fpm is running, pid 1779
[16-Jun-2016 13:03:47] NOTICE: ready to handle connections
[16-Jun-2016 13:03:47] NOTICE: systemd monitor interval set to 10000ms
interface was freezed, only the playback screen was working. Not getting into config settings, just the browser favicon spinning forever.

Then after a few reboots from ssh, everything is fine and those errors never happened again.
___
also saw you used mpdas for scrobbling...

what about a love button in the front-end, since the backend it's already implemented?
maybe next to the song's title, to not mess with other playback buttons, or in the header?

yes, i tried "mpc sendmessage mpdas love/unlove" from cli and it works perfectly in last.fm :)

Hi,

I'll add "love btn for last.fm" to my TODO list :)

-Tim

Looks good to me, Tim!

As a matter of "less is more", is it possible to make the update installation conditional? E.g., if one checks for a software update and the date-time stamp of the available update package is the same as the last installed update package, then could the System Configuration screen report the system is up to date instead of offering to install the available update (as shown in the third screen capture)?

This isn't a showstopper issue, just a question of user interface. Either way, this incremental update process is a big step forward.

Regards,
Kent

Updater is pretty basic at this point but yes, I could add a bit of intelligence to it for final implementation.

dates same = "Software is up to date"

-Tim

I've updated to 2.6 and it's doing great. I've made what I expect will be an annual contribution as thanks for Tim's efforts.

Yesterday I received an Amazon 7" Fire tablet (on sale at $40US) to use as a remote. One behavior had carried over from my way-too-small Android phone. I use two organizations for files on my NAS. Top level is Artist or, for classical music, a folder named "Classical". Albums are the next level below artist. When I browse my NAS and go down to the Artist level to "clear and play" an album, all works well. When I return to the Browse tab and attempt go up to the Artist level, I am kicked back to the top entries in the Artist list of folders rather than returning to the position on the list of the folder I had just visited. This makes for a lot of seemingly unnecessary scrolling. Is there a setting I'm missing?

Thanks a bunch,

Skip

Hi everybody,

Been using Moode for a couple of days only, but I'm a very happy user!
One thing is not clear to me though. I have an USB disk attached to the PI. It's a 500Gb disk that should be enough to hod (most of) my music. When I do "df -Bm" in a ssh session to the Pi it sees the disk with filesystem /dev/sda1 and mounted as /media/PiMuziek. Size available is about 470Gb. Music on the disk is seen in the library. So all is well there.
But when I connect to the disk using Samba on my Mac, it shows only 2.3Gb available, which is of course the free space on my SD card. This is more than just an aesthetic problem, because when I try to copy files larger than 2.3Gb to the disk, the Mac won't do it because there is not enough space on the target disk. From what I know about unix this has to to with the mountpoint of the shared disk, but attempts to change this resulted in a broken system only resolved by re-installing Moode from scratch.

Hi,

I see same thing with samba shares for USB disks. I did a bit of searching and found many posts describing similar issue but no root cause or fix.

It seems like it could be a bug in samba.

-Tim

I've updated to 2.6 and it's doing great. I've made what I expect will be an annual contribution as thanks for Tim's efforts.

Yesterday I received an Amazon 7" Fire tablet (on sale at $40US) to use as a remote. One behavior had carried over from my way-too-small Android phone. I use two organizations for files on my NAS. Top level is Artist or, for classical music, a folder named "Classical". Albums are the next level below artist. When I browse my NAS and go down to the Artist level to "clear and play" an album, all works well. When I return to the Browse tab and attempt go up to the Artist level, I am kicked back to the top entries in the Artist list of folders rather than returning to the position on the list of the folder I had just visited. This makes for a lot of seemingly unnecessary scrolling. Is there a setting I'm missing?

Thanks a bunch,

Skip

Hi Skip,

Is navigation on Browse tab ok when accessing from PC or Mac?

-Tim

Hi Tim, hi everyone

Still loving Moode... but still having a problem with my NAS. I've checked permissions, checked no mapping on NFS, and if I go to moode on my network via my windows PC and open the NAS folder in Moode I can see all of the folders and songs listed. The NAS Source is ticked green in moode player, yet i still can't see any of my songs. What am i doing wrong? I'm guessing i'm being a total idiot...but it's driving me crazy :mad: !! Any thoughts or suggestions very gratefully recieved

Cheers all
Stu

Tim,

The behavior is the same on my Win7 laptop as my tablet. The navigation on the Browse tab is fine, per se, but the scrolled position is not held at the top level on moving back up to that level, it reverts to the top of listing. I can capture a series of screen shots if my verbal description is too vague.

Skip

Tim,

The behavior is the same on my Win7 laptop as my tablet. The navigation on the Browse tab is fine, per se, but the scrolled position is not held at the top level on moving back up to that level, it reverts to the top of listing. I can capture a series of screen shots if my verbal description is too vague.

Skip

+1

Always reverts to the top of the list when navigating using the MoOde "back" button.

Hi Tim, hi everyone

Still loving Moode... but still having a problem with my NAS. I've checked permissions, checked no mapping on NFS, and if I go to moode on my network via my windows PC and open the NAS folder in Moode I can see all of the folders and songs listed. The NAS Source is ticked green in moode player, yet i still can't see any of my songs. What am i doing wrong? I'm guessing i'm being a total idiot...but it's driving me crazy :mad: !! Any thoughts or suggestions very gratefully recieved

Cheers all
Stu

Hi Stu,

Do u mean that nothing (folders, files) appears in Browse and Library panels?

-Tim

Yes, I believe so. On a computer, the scrolling handle lets you move quickly to the subdirectory of choice, but on the cellphone and the android tablet, that handle isn't apparently available, so it takes a lot of sometimes imprecise swipes to make your way down the alphabet in a good sized collection.

Hi Tim

Yes, nothing at all. Just a blank page.

Hi,

In earlier post u mentioned that u connected to NAS via Windows PC and all looked good. I assume u used File Explorer to map a local drive to the NAS share correct?

If thats the case then protocol would have been CIFS/SMB. I'd suggest deleting existing Moode NAS mount that used NFS protocol and create a new one using CIFS/SMB protocol

-Tim

samba problem workaround

About the problem with the wrong amount of free space displayed in samba, I added a few lines to
Code:
/etc/samba/smb.conf
:

Code:
[PiMuziek]
        comment = USB storage
        path = /media/PiMuziek
        readonly = No
        guest ok = Yes
        browseable = Yes

Where "PiMuziek" is the USB-disk, the mountpoint (path) can be found by
Code:
df -Bm
. Now the disk is listed twice under moode on my Mac. Once under USB, where it still has the wrong free space and once more as PiMuziek, where it has the right amount of free space.
I think this can be resolved in a better way, but someone more unix savvy than me should take a look. The problem is (in my opinion) not a bug in samba, but the fact that the USB disk is mounted as
Code:
/var/lib/mpd/music/USB
which is a directory on the system SD-card, hence its free space is listed in stead of the USB. But I don't have a clue how to solve this, so for now I use this workaround. Problem is of course that it only works on one specific disk, when another disk is attached to the Pi you'll have to edit smb.conf again.