Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

Hi Tim,

Still loving this software!

I feel silly pointing out such a tiny bug, but a shame for it to make it into the next release too:

When setting the audio device description under customization settings, selecting IQaudIO Pi-AMP+ sets the chip as "Burr Brown TPA3811". It should be TPA3118.

Hi, I have a much more general question regarding RPi sound. I run Moode on RPi with kind of a Picobber DAC clone from aliexpress. Looks exactly like the one I uploaded, so it should b ethe same. i have a problem with it, though:
I don't like to use software volume control because it compresses the sound a bit and generaly makes it worse. However, some music I have is very bass heavy or loud, and the poor little dac just can't handle all the power, so I get nasty sound artefacts that render the music unlistenable. I temporarily enabled SW volume control, put it to ~90% and itcsounds okay, but it is a major mindfuck knowing it is suboptimal.
The real question is: what can I do about it? Would different interconnects help? Would modding the dac help? Different RPi power supply? Or is there some setting or sth I could use?
9c5dcd56ffaeec21ce18a47e857c182f.jpg

Hi, I have a much more general question regarding RPi sound. I run Moode on RPi with kind of a Picobber DAC clone from aliexpress. Looks exactly like the one I uploaded, so it should b ethe same. i have a problem with it, though:
I don't like to use software volume control because it compresses the sound a bit and generaly makes it worse. However, some music I have is very bass heavy or loud, and the poor little dac just can't handle all the power, so I get nasty sound artefacts that render the music unlistenable. I temporarily enabled SW volume control, put it to ~90% and itcsounds okay, but it is a major mindfuck knowing it is suboptimal.
The real question is: what can I do about it? Would different interconnects help? Would modding the dac help? Different RPi power supply? Or is there some setting or sth I could use?

You can try to use hardware volume control in MoOde.
Seems this DAC chip is using internal volume control and defaults to maximum volume, causing the output to clip.

The only way to fix this properly is to find a way to do hardware volume control on your board. Another cables / power supply will not improve this.

Hi Tim, I've run into some trouble with the bonjour alias. I can access the web interface by typing in the IP address into the address bar, but not "moode" (I get a connection refused error in Chrome on both my windows and mac machines, and I assume the same error on safari on iphone, although safari doesn't get that specific with its error messages). Any ideas? I've tried flashing and reinstalling a fresh copy of 2.5 as well as restarting all of my machines.

Hi Tim, I've run into some trouble with the bonjour alias. I can access the web interface by typing in the IP address into the address bar, but not "moode" (I get a connection refused error in Chrome on both my windows and mac machines, and I assume the same error on safari on iphone, although safari doesn't get that specific with its error messages). Any ideas? I've tried flashing and reinstalling a fresh copy of 2.5 as well as restarting all of my machines.

Hi,

The symptoms suggest that possibly Router DNS does not have host name "moode" in its cache or that IP multicast (mDNS) being blocked which would prevent .local from being resolved.

1) Check Router DHCP log
3) Reboot router.

Regards,
Tim

Trying Moode 2.6 TR3. Access point not working with USB Realtek 8188 (default instalation)
My workaround :
- Download from https://github.com/lwfinger/rtl8188eu/tree/master/hostapd-0.8
- Recompile hostapd /usr/apd
- Rename hostapd and hostapd_cli in /usr/sbin , just in case something wrong :D
- copy new hostapd and hostapd_cli to /usr/sbin
- edit /etc/hostapd/hostapd.conf , change line driver=nl80211 to driver=rtl871xdrv
- restart hostapd service or reboot Raspi
- Done

Trying Moode 2.6 TR3. Access point not working with USB Realtek 8188 (default instalation)
My workaround :
- Download from https://github.com/lwfinger/rtl8188eu/tree/master/hostapd-0.8
- Recompile hostapd /usr/apd
- Rename hostapd and hostapd_cli in /usr/sbin , just in case something wrong :D
- copy new hostapd and hostapd_cli to /usr/sbin
- edit /etc/hostapd/hostapd.conf , change line driver=nl80211 to driver=rtl871xdrv
- restart hostapd service or reboot Raspi
- Done

Hi,

Which adapters does this enable to work in AP mode?

-Tim

Last edited:
You can try to use hardware volume control in MoOde.
Seems this DAC chip is using internal volume control and defaults to maximum volume, causing the output to clip.

The only way to fix this properly is to find a way to do hardware volume control on your board. Another cables / power supply will not improve this.
No support for hw volume control:(

Poslano z mojega LG-D855 z uporabo Tapatalk

No support for hw volume control:(

What device did you select in the setup? Seems 'HifiBerry DAC' should be working for this device and then you should be able to set the volume in the mixer.

Found this:
https://www.hifiberry.com/guides/mixer-settings/

There must be some way... MoOde doesn't amplify the volume by itself, so if the DAC clips the signal, the problem should be somewhere in the DAC's hardware (=on-chip) volume control setting.

If really no solution to get to hw volume control, use the resample function to force 24 bit output, any damage done by the software volume control is very small when using 24 bits.

Would not worry about quality loss too much as most Pi DAC's are clock slave to the Rapsberry PI and this clock has some jitter which limits the maximum sound quality. For ultimate sound quality, use an USB DAC.