• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

monoblock vs. one chassis?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
... a rose by any other name...

Spot on Thomas!

I've just taken delivery of some 70's Svetlana 6C4C (6B4G) and they are surprisingly better than the Sovtek 2A3s that my son uses...

And I agree with Frank's point that topology matters most - but then Joel agrees with that too. Whilst Joel's and Frank's discussion is amusing and some points can be drawn out of it, please don't let it get to the point that it inhibits either of you from posting. We need both of your points of view;)

ciaso

Jmaes

spot on james.

recently I try one tubes which I feel quite good, the sound is better than we300b NOS one.
Its also we made . we275a monoplate version. I buy it from ebay.
The tubes had same working condition only the high voltage must use 280~300DC.
Some people call it a we 2a3 but 5v.
The monoplate had most clear sound field but I still hear the we special sound taste.

cheers

thomas

Hi,

Anyone mention that the single chassis is cheaper? That was the deciding factor for me. One slightly larger PT, a rectifier with a little bit more capacity, a slightly bigger chassis, less power supply electronics - all of which comes out to less moolahs, and less floor space.

Did I mention - one power cord. In my house, that's a big factor!

JoeBob said:
The only real difference between dual monoblocks and true monoblocks is the weight factor, but I like my amps to be big and heavy (afterall bigger is better).

Hello,

I prefer to split into 2 devices, Amp and Powersupply. This splits weight and is better for low hum and noise.

Against your "big feeling": I try to build ASAP³:

as small as possible
as simple as possible
as supersounding as possible

:)

Gerd

Attachments

• highend05_kolibri1.jpg
    highend05_kolibri1.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 235
kusojiji said:
Wow, that's a cool looking amp. Is it a headphone amp? Is it still available?

Hello,

I have made this as an fun project, to try out what quality is possible with the small OPTs , and I love such small amps. They are easy to handle, funny to build and I can place more on my CD-player. This is no headphone amp, but it is possible, also connect an headphone on it. Then is a resistor 8 ohms parallel to the output needed.

You can get more information here:

Kolibri

Sorry, this site is only available in german language, my english ist not good enough..

Gerd

Attachments

• versammlung.jpg
    versammlung.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 182
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.