Monica 2 and the grounded grid

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yes, I used a choke too, although didnt try the tuned choke approach as mentioned by yeo. My PT is the same as Pete and i run it through schottkys ($2) --> 8uF oil caps --> 30H/40ma Hammond choke --> 47uf Solen

I am using AC filaments, with two equal resistors (50R) between the ends and tapping a 0.1uf cap to ground from the center of the two resistors. The whole thing is DEAD silent for 93db speakers.

Praveen

I've built my GG for Monica but I get plenty of noise coming out. :( With only heaters and no B+, the sound is fine (like no GG), as soon as I turn on B+, the noise comes out, left channel more than right, swapping tubes left and right doesn't help. Currently using Amperex, maybe too microphonic? Power is CRCRCRCRC, DC filaments, 120H plate chokes. Would a PSU choke help? Could be my layout? can someone who has done it sucessfully post a pict of the underchaasis for me to have a look?

For encouragement my finished GG for Monica2 with 6Z9P.

Attachments

• gg_1.jpg
    gg_1.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 296
I had the 6688 GG for monica2 built, sounds great, but the gain is still lower than my other sources (CD and DVD Player).

How do I bump the gain?

I was using Amperex and it is so microphonic that I have to put the GG and Monica on the floor away from the speakers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.