Modulus-86 build thread

Eight of these -- two rows of four -- in close quarters. My tech machined shield cans to cover each set and separate adjacent channels. The saying goes: "fast, right, cheap -- pick two". In this case I only had to pick 'right' and 'reasonably fast'.

Meanwhile, back to SOTA audio amp discussions...

Look what the cat dragged in... (Good kitty!)

Those who wish to push their Modulus-86 to the limit and, hence, use the metal back version of the LM3886, may find these interesting. Keratherm Red 86/82 thermal pads. Fit the LM3886 to a tee. To the best of my knowledge, they're the lowest thermal resistance pads available on the market.

Similar pads are available at the DIY Audio Store and I am not intending to compete directly with them. In fact, I might charge slightly more per pad as I'll be offering them in lower quantities (QTY = 3). I needed them for the fully assembled Modulus-686, and figured I might as well become a one-stop shop and save people a little on the shipping charges.

I'll have them on my website by the end of the weekend.

Tom

Attachments

• Keratherm-1.jpg
    Keratherm-1.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 397
  • Keratherm-2.jpg
    Keratherm-2.jpg
    331.6 KB · Views: 387
  • Keratherm-3.jpg
    Keratherm-3.jpg
    345.8 KB · Views: 389
Anyone knows a good source for the bits that are on backorder at Mouser, preferably in Europe ?? Lead times are months for a few...

I'm assuming you're talking about the ceramic caps from TDK. There's an alternate version available. If you search for leaded MLCC capacitors of the same dielectric (NP0/C0G or X7R depending on which cap we're talking about), same capacitance, with 50 V rating and 5.0 mm or 5.08 mm (0.2") pin spacing, you'll find them.

If in doubt, just toss me an email.

Tom

Thanks guys. Indeed the TDK caps, a metal film resistor (332k) and Phoenix connectors + molex plug. I have most (not all) at RS components (although one cap is 100V instead of 50v but I guess that should be fine) but only those bits from them + shipping is almost 25% of all the other bits (2x modulus 86 + one power 86) from Mouser :( Ah well, I'm sure it's all forgotten once done and listening :)

Did buy an input selector (CK1030) and a volume control (ALLO stepped attenuator, I'm running an ALLO DAC + reclocker on a PI for some time now and like the stuff)

Still to source: A nice case (probably a dissipante or the likes), RCA connectors (as I will make multiple inputs) + wiring and a transformer but still in doubt on voltage; Speakers are specced at 4 to 8 Ohms (self built Axton AX-80) and said to be measured at 6.

And still thinking about old-school VU meters.. I love the look (must be my age :) :) ) but not sure if the simple chinese controller boards are OK to hook up to the outputs of the amp, bit scared it will undo all the high quality output... Forum member Kaplaars (also a Dutchie) has a few very, very nice examples.

Last edited:
Mouser normally ships for free if the order exceeds $100, which for 2xMOD86 + 2xPWR86, it will. Nothing wrong with RS Components, though. I used to shop there when I lived in Europe.

As long as the caps are of roughly similar physical size (they need to fit on a 0.1" grid), have 5.0-5.08 (0.1") pin spacing, are of the same dielectric as the ones I specified, and have the same capacitance, and same or higher voltage rating, you'll be fine.

Tom

0.2". Yes. Grid is 0.1", pin spacing is 0.2" (5.08mm).

See! That's what task switching does to you. :)

I'm writing about LEDs in my psychology paper. I hope the TA doesn't mind a little quantum mechanics. :) I'm looking at whether blue light late in the day messes up your sleep. I'm not convinced it does.
BTW, if anyone needs a reference on LEDs, this one is excellent:
Schubert, F.E. (2006). Light-Emitting Diodes (2nd ed.). New York, NY: Cambridge University Press.

Tom

For those wondering: I'm very much open for business, but following a software update, the shipping calculator on my website is broken. No wonder business has been slow lately. I'm working with the software vendor to get that fixed. Stay tuned.

As many of you know I'll be delivering a Power-686 board in May. You can find the preliminary feature list here:
  • Onboard IEC power entry. All mains wiring handled on the PCB – just connect the transformer to the board and go!
  • Low voltage control of power on/off allowing for easy interfacing with protection modules and low voltage power switches.
  • Soft-start inrush current limiting.
  • 120 Joule surge suppressor.
  • Four 22000 µF, 50 V reservoir capacitors.
  • +5 V always on auxiliary output.
  • Power on indicator LED.
  • Molex MegaFit output connector and terminal blocks for easy interfacing both to Modulus amplifiers and other amplifiers.
While intended for the Modulus-686, it would be just as useful (albeit perhaps a little overkill) for the Modulus-86. Periodically talks of soft start and such comes up here as well.

So I thought I'd ask: Are there any other features that you'd like to see in this supply board?

I've received a request for a 12 V trigger input, which I will include. And I'm toying with the idea of including a CRC (or RC) snubber and making that an "advanced option for the user to figure out" (although, I'll probably end up providing a reasonable starting point).

Tom

No. I mean there would be a +5 V AUX output and a +12 V trigger INPUT (i.e. apply 12 V to turn the supply on).

The trigger input would be ORed with the power switch. So push the local power switch OR apply 12 V to the trigger to turn the supply on.

Tom

Ah ok i get it now. What's the rationale (anticipated use) behind using +5V auxiliary instead of the most common 12V though?

Thank you

I plan to offer a output DC protection and over temperature protection circuit that will be powered by the +5 V.

What would you need a +12 (not ±12!) V AUX supply for? Just curious. If there's something obvious that I've missed, I'd much rather know now so I can change to +12 V. Keep in mind that this AUX supply will be on all the time.

Or are you saying that you need ±12 V for something?

Tom

I plan to offer a output DC protection and over temperature protection circuit that will be powered by the +5 V.

What would you need a +12 (not ±12!) V AUX supply for? Just curious. If there's something obvious that I've missed, I'd much rather know now so I can change to +12 V. Keep in mind that this AUX supply will be on all the time.

Or are you saying that you need ±12 V for something?

Tom

Now I'm not sure it'd be +12V or ±12 but I was thinking on eventually adding a speaker protection circuit. Only one I've seen was project33 by Rod Elliot.

I still have to build the amps tho, so I'm thinking very far in the future :)

Oh, that's already part of the spec.

On another note, I just noticed that this is Post #4000 and that this thread crossed half a million views over the weekend. That's pretty cool. Thanks to everybody who have contributed so far, and especially thanks to Bill who started this thread. He has yet to finish his amp but has grown his family exponentially instead. ;) Bill! This the year! No pressure... :)

Thanks all!

Tom