Modulus-86 build thread

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Do you still have any of the previous version boards that use the old rectangular LME47xxx (whatever it is called)? I had gotten a few extra of those parts when they were going out of production. It's cool that you revised the board a little to take the round version, just wondered if you have a couple of the older ones.

I have a pair of the R1.0 Mod86 boards that I haven't gotten around to using yet, if they are what you are looking for.

Steve.

I think he wanted Rev. 2.0.

I have one lonely Rev. 1.01 sitting in my parts collection too.

Tom

Ah darn.

However, if any of your parallel amp offerings went wanting for a home, ima make an epic noise, cause I want it.

One other thing and my wallet will break free of my pants immediately if it was your parallel amp that happened to go on sale.

I so dare you to quote that endorsement on your website! :D

I do have those couple hours per day at the TV, and the clarity does need an improvement. This usage and need is more frequent than the capacity of my music amplifiers.

I have no doubt that $800 for a stereo pair of your amplifiers is a good investment on high quality music replay.

Having finally got round to building my Parallel 86 and swapping out my Hypex
N-Cores I can say that is a no brainer.

I also use the system for AV use.

Tom's amps are nearly half the price yet provide more of everything (excluding power). Definition, tonal timbre,sound staging. Lyrics are more easily discerned,
instruments have more of an organic shimmer.

What I wasn't expecting was greater bass definition, after all Quad ESL's don't produce bass :confused:

Well they do if you provide them with a quality signal and amplification.
I have practically turned off my Subwoofer.

I am so impressed I have just sourced a second set of boards to run them bridged.

Excellent product *****.

Many thanks Tom. :)

Misterdog,

Your thoughts mirror mine to a T. The NC400 was an excellent amplifier, but subjectively, I like my Modulus 86 better. Both measure well, but the IMD and FFT measurements of the Modulus 86 are better (I had Tom measure my NC400 monoblocks a while back).

Tom clearly pays attention to what is going on at 1 watt and below. That's terribly important!

The Modulus 86 is my reference standard for all my other diy amp creations/ambitions and comparisons.

Best,
Anand.

Misterdog,

Your thoughts mirror mine to a T. The NC400 was an excellent amplifier, but subjectively, I like my Modulus 86 better. Both measure well, but the IMD and FFT measurements of the Modulus 86 are better (I had Tom measure my NC400 monoblocks a while back).

Tom clearly pays attention to what is going on at 1 watt and below. That's terribly important!

The Modulus 86 is my reference standard for all my other diy amp creations/ambitions and comparisons.

Best,
Anand.
Hi, I'm hesitating now, what stereo system shall I build : a hypex system or a modulus-86 system? Based on the measurements, Modulus-86 would be the winner.
Will it have enough power for a regular living room? (using a pair of 90dB/W loudspeakers)? What is your experience? How much power would be enough for this task?

Tapatalkkal küldve az én HM 1SW eszközömről

Hi, I'm hesitating now, what stereo system shall I build : a hypex system or a modulus-86 system? Based on the measurements, Modulus-86 would be the winner.
Will it have enough power for a regular living room? (using a pair of 90dB/W loudspeakers)? What is your experience? How much power would be enough for this task?

I have a pair of NC400 Monoblocks for sale :D

Neurochrome.com
Joined 2009
Paid Member
You might be surprised how little 'power' or more correctly voltage is needed.

Meh. Tomato. Tomahto. Your point is correct, though. One could take a scientific approach to the problem. I did that as part of my Taming the LM3886 series: https://www.neurochrome.com/taming-the-lm3886-chip-amplifier/thermal-design/#RealWorldDesignExample

I can get plenty of SPL with my LXmini speakers (~87 dB efficient if I recall correctly) and Modulus-86. Certainly enough SPL to make the floor buzz, my ears ring, and annoy my neighbours and I've yet to crank it to clipping.

Tom

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
That is all very comprehensively worked out there :up: I was just looking back in Pano's thread to see what levels I ended up with:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/mult...-power-do-your-speakers-need.html#post2871975

Probably fair to say that if your LM3886 isn't sufficient for a users needs (and I can't see that being likely in a domestic setting) then you really would be looking at something with magnitudes more drive ability. And meszarosa's speakers are 90db/W

So its win win on that one :)

See Tom's response above.

In addition, if you want to plan ahead, why not order a pair of Modulus 286 boards? Or order one now, build it (or have Tom build it), and if it isn't enough "power" then order another. That way, if you want, you can parallel them and get more power. It's a win, win situation!

I strongly doubt you need more power though but I know nothing about your speakers (impedance, phase, true sensitivity measurements), size of your room, listening position, etc...everything is discussed in the link Tom posted.

Best,
Anand.

See Tom's response above.

In addition, if you want to plan ahead, why not order a pair of Modulus 286 boards? Or order one now, build it (or have Tom build it), and if it isn't enough "power" then order another. That way, if you want, you can parallel them and get more power. It's a win, win situation!

I strongly doubt you need more power though but I know nothing about your speakers (impedance, phase, true sensitivity measurements), size of your room, listening position, etc...everything is discussed in the link Tom posted.

Best,
Anand.

Thanks for the taken effort for sharing your experiences! I think I will join the Mod86 users group sometime in the summer (I will only have time to build something then...)

Regards,
Attila Meszaros