Modern transistors for CFP output for preamp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: It's difficult to be a MINIMALIST with transistors...

grhughes said:
but I could be mistaken....
I think we are headed in two different directions.
You, a minimalist and me trying to use what I have.
To improve a transistor circuit generally requires complexity; matching, constant current sources, etc..
Transistors are rather crude devices, prone to instability. Linearity, I understand, comes at the price of complexity.
Cordially, Ray Hughes

Thank you very much Mr Hughes for your very kind explanation.
You are right. After all I have become a minimalist.
Looking through the thread about the old Threshold NS10 preamp I knew that this old top of the line line preamp is made with just three bjts.
My conclusion is that very remarkable sound can be obtained also with a minimalist approach.
I have two solid state line stages at hand, one made with 10 bjts/channel and the other with >20 active devices/channel.
Both ones have failed to convince me on a sonic basis.
So I have become a minimalist in the end.

Thank you again and kind regards,

beppe

Please excuse me in I jump again in but one thing is still not clear to me.
In a Complementary Feedback Pair the two transistors must be really complementary or any combination of a PNP + NPN could work ?
I am very interested in this configuration so I am trying to learn the best I can about it.
If anyone knows a link to discussion or working schematic I would be very grateful.

Thanks and regards,

beppe

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.