Modern PC DAC vs "Audiophile DAC"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I second the USB as output from a computer. It isolates the signal as well as bypasses the sound card (most still resample in some way - total PITA and better to bypass them). I'm running an AMB labs Gamma 2 with a Sigma 11 power supply and there's no comparison to the Asus card I was using.

How can I improve my system with an external power supply when I can rip FLAC using EAC 100% error free with a noisy stock power supply?
Would the linear PSU offer 110% error free rips:D

Luke, this thread may be of interest to you.

Rock Grotto Audio Forum - For Headphones - Headphone Amps - Amplifiers - X-Can V2 - Musical Fidelity - headphone Discussion - Amplifier Discussion - DIY - Amplifier Kits - Projects - SCHA - Sennheiser - Beyer - Grado - Audio Technica - Headphone amp

Basically, if you rip your CDs to a USB stick powered by an external linear power supply. The rips sound better. (or at the very least, different).
I have tried this for myself and can confirm 100% that they do sound different. (usually better)

I'm offering no explanation for the difference in sound, but, check out the thread. Its certainly interesting.

Rock Grotto Audio Forum - For Headphones - Headphone Amps - Amplifiers - X-Can V2 - Musical Fidelity - headphone Discussion - Amplifier Discussion - DIY - Amplifier Kits - Projects - SCHA - Sennheiser - Beyer - Grado - Audio Technica - Headphone amp

Basically, if you rip your CDs to a USB stick powered by an external linear power supply. The rips sound better. (or at the very least, different).
I have tried this for myself and can confirm 100% that they do sound different. (usually better)

I'm offering no explanation for the difference in sound, but, check out the thread. Its certainly interesting.

Hi Erin, I guess its not real for me so I can't really acknowledge something like this unless I see it for myself. It just does not make sense so the only way I can make a valuable contribution is through experience. I may try one day, but for now I am pretty happy with my flac rips using EAC:)

Erin,
A lot of the findings discussed on Rock Grotto are pretty similar to what we've found here in Seattle. I correspond with guys down under and they've reached (independently), many of the same conclusions that we have.

However, Luke is not yet ready to harnass "The Force." :D

Best Regards,
TerryO

Last edited:
Here's something that might interest "some" people. Martin Colloms started this thread about 2 weeks ago.

www.hificritic.com

HIFICRITIC FORUMS » HIFI Discussion Forums » General HIFI Discussion » Computer Audio deep thinking, not scoffing, required: different sounding rips

( Note: If you are already getting 120% FLAC rips with EAC, please do not insult yourself by reading this!)

Best Regards,
TerryO

Erin,
A lot of the findings discussed on Rock Grotto are pretty similar to what we've found here in Seattle. I correspond with guys down under and they've reached (independently), many of the same conclusions that we have.

However, Luke is not yet ready to harnass "The Force." :D

Best Regards,
TerryO

Luke scared of trying to understand that which does not make sense and having to explain to sceptics as you are trying to do to me:D

The force does not work on USB devices

I wonder if SSD would work similar to USB and if the problem or improvement is jitter related on playback?
ie if you rip to disc and then play back on usb it would potentially sound different or maybe better?

The members of our Audio Club that worked on the Music Server Project became convinced that using SSD (SSHD) for playback was quite a bit better than an ordinary HD. They made use of an external HD as the bulk media storage, but the music server itself utilized SSD for the actual playback. The price of the SSDs have come down enough where it's not as costly as it used to be, which makes the choice a bit easier as well.

I can say that the results were excellent and a number were subsequently built.

Best Regards,
TerryO

I wonder if SSD would work similar to USB and if the problem or improvement is jitter related on playback?
ie if you rip to disc and then play back on usb it would potentially sound different or maybe better?

It would really depend what your playback device is. A stand alone media player like WD Live or mini? A PC using usb SPDIF converter? Or a Squeezebox?

For the past few months I have adopted using the Logitech Squeezebox as my playback source. Formerly I was using my PC and CMP +cPlay into a USB SPDIF converter to my DAC.

A couple of weeks ago as an experiment, I removed the 1 amp SMPS from my Router, and installed a 4 amp SMPS to the router.

When I installed the 4 amp power supply the sound became highly dynamic, bass was louder and faster drums were hitting harder etc.

However, the HF was harsh, and the bass although louder was lacking definition, and there was added grain to the sound.

To make a long story short, power supplies make a big difference.

I will continue to experiment with power supplies on the router, next time - a linear one.

A couple of weeks ago as an experiment, I removed the 1 amp SMPS from my Router, and installed a 4 amp SMPS to the router.

When I installed the 4 amp power supply the sound became highly dynamic, bass was louder and faster drums were hitting harder etc.

However, the HF was harsh, and the bass although louder was lacking definition, and there was added grain to the sound.

Thanks for sharing erin, these stories make excellent grist to the mill. I'm guessing that the router is a potential source of CM noise into your SqueezeBox?

I will continue to experiment with power supplies on the router, next time - a linear one.

Also try a good quality wide-band mains filter on your router and your SqueezeBox?

Last edited:
"To make a long story short, power supplies make a big difference.
-Erin"

Yes, even with internal DVD writers too. ;)
Not that Richard and some others, are ever likely to accept that putting a C.L.C. (Capacitance-Inductance-Capacitance) filter in series with the SMPS +12V and +5V supply to an internal LG BR writer makes a marked improvement in overall SQ of CD and DVD-A rips ! :D

Hi Richard
Would you change your mind if you actually heard differences yourself ? ;)
But to do that, you would need to listen to 2 files, and not just look at them with a binary editor, or a Sound Program such as Sound Forge etc.
:D
Kind Regards
Alex
P.S.
I don't suppose you have "Diana Krall-Temptation" on DVD-A ?

Would you change your mind if you actually heard differences yourself ? ;)

I haven't formed 'a mind' so no way I could change it :) Its just not a promising avenue of learning for me at present. Right now I'm focussing my attention on why NOS DACs sound so much better than low-bit ones. Its a toughie :D

I'll be ready to listen when there's a hypothesis to test. Got one yet?

<edit> No, no DVD-As in my possession whatsoever.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.