Moderating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mr Andy,
you have at any time been not other than honest and straightforward overhere and elsewhere. (but it did sound kind of amusing)

A new category does not adress the issue brought forward by Mr Popa.
I fail to see the added value of moderating contributors as Syn08, Glen, or the 2 Pavels to such an extent.
As Syn08 indicated by the action of posting here, it merely leads to even more polarisation.

Jacco, I'm not following. Do you still have my email? If so, shoot me a line and we can talk about it.

Perhaps there is a need for a new forum category. Something like "Hard Core Engineering" with a no newbie or subjective threads allowed theme ;) Might go the same way as the Tweakers Sanctuary, but maybe it could work??

I see that as exactly the same thing as the Tweaker's Sanctuary, and destined to fail for the same reason - its reason for being is to restrict speech.

All this assumes the door has already been opened to anyone who wants to walk in. And that, in my view, is the very root of the problem from the perspective of people who want to talk hardcore design. As an analogy, an IC company isn't going to hire just anyone to design their op-amps. The people involved will have to meet some sort of standards, tests and so forth. One could argue that's elitism I suppose. Of course, the analogy breaks down because profitability is a consideration there. But still, the set of requirements for someone to be able to design op-amps for profit is really the same as for someone who wishes to discuss their design in a meaningful way. That is, they must thoroughly understand how to do so to be effective. This argues for restriction of the space from which people are chosen for discussion in the first place. But that rules out an open, public forum to be able to meet that goal. Of course, DIYaudio.com is an open environment. This is great from some perspectives and not so great from others.

iko

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2008
IMHO it's childish to think such a scheme would work. I'll choose two people who technically should qualify for such an elitist forum: syn08 and John Curl. You think the two of them will get together like honey and milk and won't need moderation? Don't you see it's not the technical prowess of some in conflict with the lack of it of others that is the problem? Conflict of personality is the problem. Perhaps you'll get this kind of conflict tenfold in elitist forums; you know how it is, where there is skill and knowledge, it's highly probable that there is also a hugely inflated ego. Even in 52 year olds who were supposed to have left juvenile teenage behind long ago.

Another example

About a week ago, a fresh member posted an excellent message in the cable thread:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/mult...ake-difference-any-input-848.html#post2000362

I couldn't agree more; though, having some experience in that thread, I saw it coming. My short comment showing support (perhaps in a quirky way, though) was:

From memory said:
Fresh meat for the subjective grinder

My message was promptly, in a matter of minutes, removed. Soon after, the GEB mobilized it's paratroops and started grinding the stuff, using the same methods of fallacy, discrediting, etc... The debate is still "active" and it's at the point to which the poor guy is about to give up.

Was my short comment provocative/bickering/rude/etc... and therefore was a mod entitled to remove it? I don't know, but I can't stop wondering about such prompt removals (this is only a late example), while this message:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/anal...rch-preamplifier-part-ii-313.html#post2001710

is happily living. As far as I recall, attempting to get around the filters is subject to bin time, isn't it?

It appears to me that some of you mod guys are following and "moderating" (actually, censoring) people rather than messages. In my books, this is called biased moderation.

Let me know if you need more examples, I have this nasty habit of backing up my messages.

I did read it. Clearly I'm biased against hard-core engineering types.:D

Sy I have to admit that I too felt that you were over-moderating for awhile. I hope that I am slowly coming to the conclusion that you are simply trying to keep things flowing and on an even keel. I sometimes over extend myself and allow personal feelings to influence what I post. I am working to restrict these types of posts, as I get a better (thicker skin) understanding of the other posters that draw me into these "debates". I appreciate your work and know that it is a thankless job. You are neither hero or villain, just doing a job to the best of your ability and time.

I did read it. Clearly I'm biased against hard-core engineering types.:D

Try again, and don't take it personally. It's not about you, as much as it is not about perhaps 90% of the mods.

Unfortunately, a few bad apples may spoil the entire pile. I understand your need to back up and stand behind each other, however such an example (and unfortunately many other) are not doing any good for DIYAudio. This is precisely why I originally asked mods to sign for message removals.

I guess you guys need more examples. Could you or any other mod explain why the sub-thread starting with the picture of my lab was moved in The Lounge?

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/lounge/155446-some-serious-workspace.html

I could understand moving it (although I don't know why this was really required, it was originally a reply to another member lab picture, in a thread that was (and still is) actually very calm and technically productive), perhaps in the Equipment & Tools forum. Do I need to spell why this move was indirectly an insult (reading: your lab is a chit-chat subject, not related to any technical topic)?

Last edited:
T

I guess you guys need more examples. Could you or any other mod explain why the sub-thread starting with the picture of my lab was moved in The Lounge?

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/lounge/155446-some-serious-workspace.html

I could understand moving it (although I don't know why this was really required, it was originally a reply to another member lab picture, in a thread that was (and still is) actually very calm and technically productive), perhaps in the Equipment & Tools forum. Do I need to spell why this move was indirectly an insult (reading: your lab is a chit-chat subject, not related to any technical topic)?

So basically, your complaint here is about taxonomy, not fairness or censorship?

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
OK
Lets face it, some of you will always be on each others back
And true, its not easy to be objective and straight without offending someone, even when carefully trying not to
If you do what you can to be offencive and offending ofcourse it goes that way

Lets try an experiment
Make a special thread completely free of moderators
No special title, just "Free thread"
But with a clear warning "If you have thinn skinn and cant take the juice, best stay away, no crying mama"

How the thread goes will be your own responsibility
Only rule is that it may be closed without warning and no explanation why
But may open again after a while
Oh, and in that thread I suggest to remove the quote option

Surprice us, please
Naive ? probably

Last edited:
constitutes

who constitutes new mods? and what about people that made donations to keep this site? I know I have not been here long, so, what are the rules of banning someone? Can you please POST the entire criteria? I am very interested, we all come from different places and may say different things, some are taboo, but relate to many others, other than what the moderator thinks or percieves. I call that "profiling" which is racist in its own way.

Kind regards. I do not know the person who was removed, however, a group decision should, to me, be discussed with everyone here that has paid attention, paid money for support, and just the over all kindness everyone has to offer from all over the world. Nathan

I just feel no harm here, no curse words, no stupid jestures, nothing bad at all, so who dictates our post? I will say say it again, I am here to learn, I do not want that taken away from me. I would ask the forum what they think, even if is PM. check out what forum means Forum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia discussion, expression, etc.
I would like to see all the moderators post on everything we look at, i just try and help, not to confuse the issue Cal, I have spent money on this site and would like some kind of comments.
the reason I am posting this, someone removed a comment I made, showed it to everyone that it was not with the subject. That is "your" opinion or someone mod opinion.
Everyone one who donates and is decent with words should have a say, thats all. three vs thousand. Mavric
please dont delete this as you have other post. I mean no harm or anger, just fairness. Besides, I still need some more info on my posts. Thanks EVERYONE HERE! mavric

Status
Not open for further replies.